E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > amateur use of e46 on a racetrack

12-03-2019, 09:56 AM   #1
opposer
Rep
Drives: Subaru STI EDM 2005

amateur use of e46 on a racetrack

Hi guys.

I bought a 80k miles e46 320ci with MT, M-suspension.
Did a couple of mods - low-temp thermostat (triggers at 92celsius, coolant temp doesn't exceed 92c with it), front brakes from bmw330 (front brake rotor diameter is 325mm).
I want to take the car for a occasional spin on a race track.

The car doesn't have an oil cooler (this mod for non-M e46 is pretty pricey).
Can it be used on a track in an easy manner (I'm not too fast of a driver and don't like to put a car in danger of hitting it into a wall)? Maybe 2 aggressive laps, then one slow lap for cooling down? Or the absence of an oil cooler will soon kill the engine? Does the e46 enter limp mode when oil overheats or it just keeps running until engine failure?
I'll use hi-temp brake fluid and performance brake pads.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 10:08 AM   #2
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Find a way to monitor oil temps. Something as simple as an OBD2 BT adapter and the Torque Pro app on a phone. Might be best to use an old, unused phone and mount it in a way that it can NOT fall off while on track.

This can also be used to monitor other parameters, as well, like confirming your coolant temps, RPM...it also has some logging capabilities that might prove useful.

Otherwise, go at it. Start off easy, monitor temps, and increase speed and aggressivness as you and the car are comfortable with.

PS - This is assuming the ECU in your car does, in fact, monitor oil temps and your car has an oil temp sensor. I'm assuming it does, but I'm not familiar with E46 320s.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 06:47 AM   #3
opposer
Rep
Drives: Subaru STI EDM 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Find a way to monitor oil temps. Something as simple as an OBD2 BT adapter and the Torque Pro app on a phone. Might be best to use an old, unused phone and mount it in a way that it can NOT fall off while on track.

PS - This is assuming the ECU in your car does, in fact, monitor oil temps and your car has an oil temp sensor. I'm assuming it does, but I'm not familiar with E46 320s.
there is no way you can check oil temp via OBD on 320 e46
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 02:59 PM   #4
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I’ve never heard of a low temp thermostat, it sounds like snake oil to me. The car should be fine as long as the engine and suspension are checked regularly. I would check for any oil leaks, add an electric fan and maybe check the guibo to ensure it doesn’t leave you stranded at the track. Otherwise, fill the tank and enjoy.
      12-08-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by opposer View Post
there is no way you can check oil temp via OBD on 320 e46
I know you can with other e46s, using INPA or Rheingold...I believe Carly can, too. Have you checked Carly, maybe Bimmergeek's ProTool?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 10:59 PM   #6
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I’ve never heard of a low temp thermostat, it sounds like snake oil to me. The car should be fine as long as the engine and suspension are checked regularly. I would check for any oil leaks, add an electric fan and maybe check the guibo to ensure it doesn’t leave you stranded at the track. Otherwise, fill the tank and enjoy.
I guess you don't have much experience with older vehicles 😉 Anyhow even on newer vehicles that have electronically controlled thermostat via ECU can be forced to open earlier via coding or tuning.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 11:15 PM   #7
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
I know you can with other e46s, using INPA or Rheingold...I believe Carly can, too. Have you checked Carly, maybe Bimmergeek's ProTool?
If there isn't oil temperature sensor you can't monitor the oil temperature. Most E46 have the sensor on the OFH, not the oil pan like newer models, so is easy to tap into it and install an old fashion gauge.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 04:51 PM   #8
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
I guess you don't have much experience with older vehicles 😉 Anyhow even on newer vehicles that have electronically controlled thermostat via ECU can be forced to open earlier via coding or tuning.
I owned an E46 for nearly seven years and replaced the thermostat twice because it was stuck open. I’ve owned my E92 for three years and only replaced the thermostat because the water pump died and it’s recommended to do both while you’re at it.
      12-26-2019, 05:18 PM   #9
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I owned an E46 for nearly seven years and replaced the thermostat twice because it was stuck open. I’ve owned my E92 for three years and only replaced the thermostat because the water pump died and it’s recommended to do both while you’re at it.
There are coolant thermostats that open to allow circulation and also coolant temperature sensors that trigger the fan at lower temperatures. Like this: https://www.bimmerworld.com/Cooling/...6-Euro-M3.html
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 11:04 AM   #10
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

No need to worry about oil coolers and bigger radiators until your getting 90%+ out of the car.

Not to say gentle track time won't expose existing maintenance problems, but you could spend years and $1,000s of dollars fixing 'everything'. "just to get ready"

The car will be oK. Register and go.

Brake fluid, reasonably good brake pads, and good synthetic oil are all I recommend for getting your feet wet.
Appreciate 0