E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > FTM or TPMS on my car?

11-29-2019, 03:08 PM   #1
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

FTM or TPMS on my car?

2008 328i
I have the yellow light, but I do not have individual tire pressures, or any pressures shown at all.
I do not have idrive. My cluster does NOT indicate which tire is low, or psi, the yellow light just comes on.

On my stock 17 wheels I use for winter, when I swap them on, the yellow light goes out which makes me think I have some type of sensor in the tire?

When I put my aftermarket 19s on, the yellow light comes on and stays on... I can honestly say I have never even tried resetting it with he new wheels to even see if it works

So which system do I have?
Is there something physically inside my stock wheels/tires? Or, do I have the FTM with nothing inside and only uses ABS?

Last edited by AllBlackBimmer; 02-15-2023 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 03:23 PM   #2
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

put vin in newtis
look for RDC module.

but you probably have an RDC based TPMS system, I'm not sure if FTM was even available in NA for the pre lci models.

it's easy to code to FTM so it just works with whatever is mounted.
I did it when my RDC unit failed.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 04:44 PM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

If your stock wheels have metal valve stems and plastic valve stem caps, the car has TPMS. All TMPS sensors have metal valve stems. FTM BMWs have regular rubber valve stems.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 05:33 PM   #4
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
put vin in newtis
look for RDC module.

but you probably have an RDC based TPMS system, I'm not sure if FTM was even available in NA for the pre lci models.

it's easy to code to FTM so it just works with whatever is mounted.
I did it when my RDC unit failed.
What is an “RDC” ?

Not looking to code, just trying to figure out what is in my car
      11-29-2019, 05:48 PM   #5
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

the rdc is the box that receives the tpms signals.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 09:13 PM   #6
RayLivingston
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan

I would assume a 2008 would be the same as a 2007 - NO TPMS. Instead, it looks at the speed of the four wheels. If one is consistently faster than the others, that indicates low tire pressure, and it turns on the light. Of course, if gives NO warning if ALL tires are equally low.

After correcting the tire pressures, you can reset the light using the Reset menu of the instrument panel display.

Regards,
Ray L.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 03:28 AM   #7
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayLivingston View Post
I would assume a 2008 would be the same as a 2007 - NO TPMS. Instead, it looks at the speed of the four wheels. If one is consistently faster than the others, that indicates low tire pressure, and it turns on the light. Of course, if gives NO warning if ALL tires are equally low.

After correcting the tire pressures, you can reset the light using the Reset menu of the instrument panel display.

Regards,
Ray L.
All vehicles sold in the US after 9/1/07 were required to have TPMS.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 10:42 AM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayLivingston View Post
I would assume a 2008 would be the same as a 2007 - NO TPMS...
Major premise "needs adjustment".

My 2007 328xi, built 3/14/2007 has TPMS, "Tyre Pressure Control", Option # S2VB, and YES, it has METAL Valve Stems. Mine is NOT "loaded" and has only 20 Modules (NO iDrive or CIC, etc.).

George
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 10:28 PM   #9
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Ok so I put my winter wheels on today...
My stock wheels have metal valve stem, and do indeed have TPMS inside my stock wheels.
I have sensors, but on my gauge cluster I only have low indicator yellow light. I do not have individual tire notification, nor do I have PSI read outs.
... talk about a “cheap” TPMS system! But understand it was new at the time.
Too bad can’t change to individual PSI of each tire.
      12-01-2019, 10:50 AM   #10
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
Ok so I put my winter wheels on today...
My stock wheels have metal valve stem, and do indeed have TPMS inside my stock wheels.
I have sensors, but on my gauge cluster I only have low indicator yellow light. I do not have individual tire notification, nor do I have PSI read outs.
... talk about a “cheap” TPMS system! But understand it was new at the time.
Too bad can’t change to individual PSI of each tire.
you got those things when you bought idrive.

you have a base model car, what do you want?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 12:13 PM   #11
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
...do indeed have TPMS inside my stock wheels. [Actually, you have Battery-powered pressure sensors inside your tires, mounted on the inner-end of the metal valve stem. There are 6 components outside the tires that comprise the "TPMS System": Transmitter in each wheel well, which receives the signal from the pressure sensor; Antenna behind RR wheel, and RDC Module in Trunk (Components were changed in 2010). TIS Circuit Diagram with components identified is linked below]
I have sensors, but on my gauge cluster I only have low indicator yellow light. I do not have individual tire notification, nor do I have PSI read outs... talk about a “cheap” TPMS system! But understand it was new at the time.
[Actually it was NOT new on your 2008 model ] Too bad can’t change to individual PSI of each tire.
Here is TIS circuit diagram, identifying TPMS components:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ontrol/vEMv9gS

If your Instrument Cluster has a yellow tire icon lit after engine start (which indicates a fault of some type in the TPMS system), you should also have a "!" in a yellow triangle to the right of the Gear display. Use "Check Control" and you will see a CC-ID Code from "139" to "147". CC-ID #139 indicates Left Front tire pressure is ~ 5 PSIG or more LOWER than the pressure at which it was "Set." There is a different code for EACH tire.

For those who want to understand how their car actually works and what it CAN do, I would suggest downloading Bentley Manual in FREE searchable pdf format from the LINK provided in the attached "E9x References." A Table of (nearly all) "Check Control" Codes is found beginning at Section 020-55, or pages 125 - 137 of pdf. The Instrument Cluster ONLY displays the CC-ID code numbers, and NOT the definition (CC-ID 139 would be all you would see using Check Control if your left front tire is low). So unless you have memorized 139 = Left Front tire Low, you need to carry those 13 pages with you: printout in glovebox, pdf on phone, etc. A less-comprehensive CC-ID list is found in the second attached pdf: "Warning Lamps & CC-ID."

INPA will indicate Pressure & Temperature in EACH tire, as well as the "Setpoint" Pressure. It will provide fault codes to identify faults OTHER than simply low pressure, and it allows testing of components in F6 Activation (Steuern) Mode.

For $45 you can get the BimmerGeeks K+DCAN cable and connect your laptop to the OBD II Socket, free Download of BMW Standard Tools (including INPA & NCS (Dummy/Expert), and you can learn how to do anything a good shop SHOULD know how to do. Using NCS Dummy, you can even "De-activate" (Nicht Aktiv) the TPMS system and use FTM when running tires that have NO metal valve stems with Pressure Sensors inside.

WITHOUT INPA, or any separate tool of any kind, you can at least identify which tire has low pressure, or get the CC-ID for whatever fault is reported by "Check Control." If ONE tire is low, should probably check all 4 with gauge. You DO carry a tire gauge in the car don't you? Might want to consider adding a 12V Compressor & Tire Plug Kit if you haven't already

Most people driving cars these days, if they know anything at all about their cars, ONLY know enough to be dangerous. So BMW just provides "On Board" information for that level of knowledge/ignorance. Just look at the tool kit provided, and you will see what BMW bean counters thought of the "mechanical/electrical-aptitude" of BMW owners (or perhaps they were "projecting" ;-). Only useful tool is sunroof crank, & most drivers probably don't know: where tool kit is, what's in it, how to use it, or where the Owner's Manual is (that tells you all of the above).

George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E9x References.pdf (218.0 KB, 64 views)
File Type: pdf Warning Lamps & CC-ID.pdf (339.6 KB, 52 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 01:27 PM   #12
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
you got those things when you bought idrive.

you have a base model car, what do you want?
I understand that, that’s not what I’m saying.

I’m saying, it’s generally a pointless system that I have.
I have driven LCI non-idrive models, and they have individual psi readouts on the gauge cluster, as typical in most vehicles.
You would think a system, with sensors in each tire that the system would be able to output individual tire PSI, but the pre-LCI systems are a simple low tire indicator light, without knowing which tire, or by how much psi.

I am 100% happy I bought my car optioned as it is, without I-drive.
      12-01-2019, 06:52 PM   #13
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I understand that, that’s not what I’m saying.

I’m saying, it’s generally a pointless system that I have.
I have driven LCI non-idrive models, and they have individual psi readouts on the gauge cluster, as typical in most vehicles.
You would think a system, with sensors in each tire that the system would be able to output individual tire PSI, but the pre-LCI systems are a simple low tire indicator light, without knowing which tire, or by how much psi.

I am 100% happy I bought my car optioned as it is, without I-drive.

I deleted the TPMS and went FTM so I didn't have to maintain wheels with working TPMS sensors.
It's there to alert you to a low tire, and that it does.
Is it so difficult to get out and check your four tire's pressure when the light comes on?
To say it's useless means you don't understand why it's there.
It's there solely to alert you to a tire pressure issue that you wouldn't feel because of the run flat tires originally fitted. That's it.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 02:42 PM   #14
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi 4D AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
All vehicles sold in the US after 9/1/07 were required to have TPMS.
But this is allowed to be indirect TPMS, also known as FTM.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 04:39 PM   #15
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewicky View Post
But this is allowed to be indirect TPMS, also known as FTM.
Not at the time that the regulations were first enacted. At that time, most systems did not meet the "4-tire, 25%" rule. Did you think that BMW decided to spend the money on all the additional hardware required for direct TPMS because they thought it was the best solution? Indirect systems improved over time and some manufactures re-instituted them, at least for a while. I don't think BMW did although I'm not sure of that.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.do...Sfinalrule.pdf
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 05:50 PM   #16
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi 4D AT

Quote:
Not at the time that the regulations were first enacted. At that time, most systems did not meet the "4-tire, 25%" rule. Did you think that BMW decided to spend the money on all the additional hardware required for direct TPMS because they thought it was the best solution? Indirect systems improved over time and some manufactures re-instituted them, at least for a while. I don't think BMW did although I'm not sure of that.

Mhmm. Although I think BMW went TPMS because run flat tires need it.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 06:09 PM   #17
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewicky View Post
Mhmm. Although I think BMW went TPMS because run flat tires need it.
Sounds like complete nonsense to me but if you have a link to a reference I'd enjoy reading it.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 10:03 PM   #18
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:

Many manufacturers have gone back to indirect systems, neither my '17 GTI nor my '18 Fiata have sensors. Thankfully.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0