E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Retrofitting FLA (High Beam Assistant) DIY

02-14-2018, 11:52 AM   #67
Zap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Convertible (JZB)

I'm looking into this modification, and was curious if someone can clarify on how to accomplish the wiring without cutting the factory harness. My understanding is that how the original retrofit is described.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 01:37 PM   #68
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
I'm looking into this modification, and was curious if someone can clarify on how to accomplish the wiring without cutting the factory harness. My understanding is that how the original retrofit is described.
there is no genuine retrofit of that function
the easiest way is to use 3m scotchlok to tap to the bus
      03-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #69
Zap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Has anyone transferred the FLA camera from a mirror to their existing mirror before? My understanding is that the BMW part numbers are based on options being added to a base mirror.

I missed out on a FLA mirror for the e93 and haven't seen any others available in some time now. Not to mention it would be cheaper to buy a more common mirror.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 12:37 AM   #70
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

fla mirror have fla pcb in main mirror body
https://www.drive2.ru/l/2212122/
so you might have better success if you transfer key receiver for e93 to the fla mirror
      03-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #71
Zap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the information! It looks like a bit of an operation, but if I can't find the right mirror, it could be done. I'll definitely keep this in mind.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 10:16 AM   #72
Zap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just wanted to say thanks to all of the posters here - I just did this retrofit on my '09 M3 (E93). I finally found the right mirror (with all options and specific to the convertible, as described above), or probably would have done it sooner. My car already had a fully equipped mirror, with the exception of the FLA.

I built a retrofit cable so the original wiring wouldn't be modified and it works great. The only thing I wasn't sure if I saw here was that you might need to reset and re-calibrate the compass depending on where your mirror came from.

Is there anywhere to find out what the latest ZB Number is for the FLA? My car had the latest software before the mirror was retrofit, but as far as I can tell I don't think there is anything newer for the mirror.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 12:15 PM   #73
Micke
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90

HEllo
Can you said me the reference number?
I have sensor of Rain and light and autodimming Mirror
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #74
AndreiPavel883
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320d

I managed to install the FLA option on an E90 2006 year (NFL), with halogen headligts. I upgraded my frm module from frm1 (NFRM) to frm3 led basis. To install this module is very easy, just purchase a frm3 module and replace the frm1 existing one in the car. If you have frm2 or frm3 already on your car, this step is not necessary. I also replaced my halogen nfl headlights with lci halogen headlights (mostly for the angel eyes installed on the lci halogen headlights) but this is not a necessary condition to make the FLA work. The nfl headlights will work to because the only difference (beside the looks) between the nfl and the lci halogen lights are the angel eyes. The low and the high beam are the same in both headlights versions. I installed the FLA interior mirror, according to the tutorial described above, coded the car, and made these modifications in the FRM script:

FL_AUS_BEI_BIX_IN_S_FLC nicht_aktiv

BI_XENON_BEI_LH aktiv

XENON_AL_VERBAUT aktiv

After that, the FLA works like a charm, switching on and off the high beam automatically.

So, if you have halogen lights, you need frm2 or frm3 to make the FLA option work on your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 03:57 PM   #75
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i e92 N54 A/T

Thank you OP for instructions.
      11-27-2019, 08:29 AM   #76
ChristianMoller
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: e91 325 touring

Have been reading thru this and i am comfortable with this but sorry for a stupid question.. "reset fla,frm and kombi"?
Im familiar with the modules but dont understand the reset.
Do i download the module and just load it back or?
Using ncs expert btw...

Thanks´
Newbie on coding
Christian
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 09:40 AM   #77
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianMoller View Post
Have been reading thru this and i am comfortable with this but sorry for a stupid question.. "reset fla,frm and kombi"?
Im familiar with the modules but dont understand the reset.
Do i download the module and just load it back or?
Using ncs expert btw...

Thanks´
Newbie on coding
Christian
You add the new entries to the VO, then apply the VO to those modules and default code them.

This causes the new entries to appear in the trace files on those modules for the high beams.

Once the kombi is default coded/reset the auto high beam symbol becomes active. Kombi learns that auto high beams are present and adjusts when it reads the new VO and you default code it.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 11:44 AM   #78
ChristianMoller
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
You add the new entries to the VO, then apply the VO to those modules and default code them.

This causes the new entries to appear in the trace files on those modules for the high beams.

Once the kombi is default coded/reset the auto high beam symbol becomes active. Kombi learns that auto high beams are present and adjusts when it reads the new VO and you default code it.
Thanks´
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 12:59 PM   #79
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks´
This threw me initially since the instrument cluster was not showing the auto high beam symbol but they were working after my initial coding.

Once I also default coded the Kombi the "A" symbol appeared when the auto high beams are active.

The firmware already has the proper programming for all of this, it relies upon the VO to tell it which programming to activate. Once activated the dump of the trace files reveals a whole bunch of new entries, including light color sensitivity, AHL switching pauses, off angle detection, etc., etc... a rather amazing array of adjustable settings.

I think I only bumped the sensitivity up one number and I find it to be perfect.

It only fails to immediately dim the high beams when an oncoming car has very very dim front lights with an overly warm color range. Strangely the rear aspect detection for red tail lights is amazingly accurate at very good distances.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 02:37 PM   #80
ChristianMoller
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
This threw me initially since the instrument cluster was not showing the auto high beam symbol but they were working after my initial coding.

Once I also default coded the Kombi the "A" symbol appeared when the auto high beams are active.

The firmware already has the proper programming for all of this, it relies upon the VO to tell it which programming to activate. Once activated the dump of the trace files reveals a whole bunch of new entries, including light color sensitivity, AHL switching pauses, off angle detection, etc., etc... a rather amazing array of adjustable settings.

I think I only bumped the sensitivity up one number and I find it to be perfect.

It only fails to immediately dim the high beams when an oncoming car has very very dim front lights with an overly warm color range. Strangely the rear aspect detection for red tail lights is amazingly accurate at very good distances.
Thanks´again.
I got a mirror on its way home and some connectors from another company so we will see how this turn out
I´m also thinking of to get backup camera and bluetooth handsfree as i had that in my e46 and got spoiled......

/Christian
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 09:50 AM   #81
ChristianMoller
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Thanks´again.
I got a mirror on its way home and some connectors from another company so we will see how this turn out
I´m also thinking of to get backup camera and bluetooth handsfree as i had that in my e46 and got spoiled......

/Christian
Well....mirror mounted so, correct me if i'm wrong(first coding).
Change VO in CAS and FRM and then default code kombi and fla, is that the way to go or are there anything more in CAS and FRM?

Thanks'
A nervous guy
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:07 PM   #82
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks´again.

/Christian
Well....mirror mounted so, correct me if i'm wrong(first coding).
Change VO in CAS and FRM and then default code kombi and fla, is that the way to go or are there anything more in CAS and FRM?

Thanks'
A nervous guy
That should be it.

Once done turn off the car, wait a few minutes then start it, preferably in a slightly dark garage.

Set the light knob to Auto and make sure the lights are on.

Then push forward on the stalk slightly and quickly and the "A" should light up on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 04:43 AM   #83
ChristianMoller
Private
Sweden
Rep

Well....so far i have manage to set the VO/FA to $5AC but when i are going to default code nfrm i have an error se picture.

Can someone point me in a direction?

Thanks'
Christian

Edit:went out and tried again.
Latency set to 1 on com port and i think there was a step in the DYI i have thats missing.
Coded VO to frm and default coded the kombi and roof module and got the gong at the end and had to enter time and date but still no fla.
Is there a way to see that i have enter the VO in frm, is it the fa file in work tha show the latest vo change?

Last edited by ChristianMoller; 12-15-2019 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 11:52 AM   #84
ChristianMoller
Private
Sweden
Rep

Now i see it in the CIC also,default coded that one too.
Ticked in the box but it did not help, i must check wiring tomorrow.
When you default code a module, were does it take the VO from, CAS or NFRM?

/Christian
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 12:32 PM   #85
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:
Now i see it in the CIC also,default coded that one too.
Ticked in the box but it did not help, i must check wiring tomorrow.
When you default code a module, were does it take the VO from, CAS or NFRM?

/Christian
As I understand it the VO can be read from any of the "master" modules, so it is best to code all three.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 12:42 PM   #86
ChristianMoller
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
As I understand it the VO can be read from any of the "master" modules, so it is best to code all three.
Thanks' for the answer.
I read somewere that i only have either FRM OR NFRM
I'll check in to that.

/Christian
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #87
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks' for the answer.
I read somewere that i only have either FRM OR NFRM
I'll check in to that.

/Christian
NFRM is how the FRM appears in the software.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #88
ChristianMoller
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
NFRM is how the FRM appears in the software.
OK, i see.
Why do i see NFRM FRM and CAS?
Sorry for the stupid Qs.

/C
Appreciate 0