E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E90 Double DIN Installation Kit

02-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #23
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Right, that's what I was thinking - power the crossovers and that, in turn, powers the speakers. But wouldn't that be considered one channel, then? So your front "4" speakers would be powered by only two channels? In that case, you'd need 2ch for front, 2ch for rear doors, 2ch for rear deck and 2ch for subs (you're right re: 2 subs counting as speakers - I forgot that it's "11" and not "11.2" which I'm sure they'd say if they could). So that means only 8 channels in total - you could easily do this with 2x 4ch amps, save some real estate by not getting a dedicated sub amp, no?

I'm wondering if you can actually move the seat heater controls into the ash tray. To date, I've found it incredibly useless. I wanted my car PC power switch in there, but I couldn't really modify it to do anything - it's too isolated by itself to run any wiring into it.
      02-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #24
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
I think it looks a damned sight better than the Metra Fascia!!

Seat heating controls need to be moved.
I can't argue with you there. Looks like a sheet of plywood.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #25
G35to330i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i Sedan

I think we're saying the same thing with the number of channels vs. the number of speakers. To be completely honest I've never amplified factory "subwoofers" so the ones underneath the seat may very well sound amazing and quell the need for a separate sub/amp in the trunk.

My personal experience has always been adding a separate sub/amp to make sure the job gets done. In this case I think I'll try the system with just the amplified under seat speakers; if it sounds good then I'll leave it at that and move on. If not then I'll add the separate sub/amp to fill out the rest of the system.

BTW - I looked at the car pc install in your 335xi, that's IMPRESSIVE. I'm a bit jealous, I've always wanted to do something like that but lack the EE know-how to get it done. Kudos to you sir!

EDIT x2: I'm going to try the Metra kit first, just to see it's fitment. If it's truly horrid then naturally I'll try to go another route. The Pioneer kit seems exceedingly difficult to find; the only other kit that seems readily available is the other kit mentioned here for ~$200.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #26
stew330i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

I'm concerned about will it look flush in a E92? What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #27
asjohnson721
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Hey everyone i bought a similar Dash Kit for my E90, Now i am confused for which Nav i should put in and if I do put in a after market nav will this affect my Check Control buttons or anything else that has to do with the electrical system. My car does not have bluetooth or heated seats. So if anyone can give me some words of advice that would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #28
chemgeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335/white-saddle/msport