E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > First Time for a 335i

06-10-2019, 09:57 PM   #23
Coupes33
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 335i, 2017 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjiiiw View Post
That sounds like a good run there coupes33!

May i ask how many km's do you have now?
And what did you end up going with for your turbos? Something like a pure stage 2?

Did you consider a single turbo swap at all?

Thanks!

Ben
My car has 134,000kms on it now. I am currently running a pair of Super RB Evo turbos. I did consider a single turbo at one stage but there is a lot of work and money to change over. Also, I wanted the engine bay to look fairly stock so as not to attract to much attention.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 11:58 AM   #24
Benjiiiw
Rep
Drives: Subaru WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupes33 View Post
My car has 134,000kms on it now. I am currently running a pair of Super RB Evo turbos. I did consider a single turbo at one stage but there is a lot of work and money to change over. Also, I wanted the engine bay to look fairly stock so as not to attract to much attention.
Thanks for that coupes33, do you find e92's get much attention? I would have thought a lot of the boys in blue would pass by unaware, unless your popping and cracking out the exhaust haha.

Did you diy the turbo swap at all or get a garage involved?

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #25
Benjiiiw
Rep

I've also found out the trans looks to have been serviced as part of the 100,000km logbook service. The owner hasn't changed it, but googling logbook services seems to show it is done at 100,000 as bmw says the tranny fluid should be lifelong.

Also as part of the other maintainance done recently, also included walnut blasting, and confirmed the are index 12 injectors fitted also.

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 04:05 PM   #26
Coupes33
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that coupes33, do you find e92's get much attention? I would have thought a lot of the boys in blue would pass by unaware, unless your popping and cracking out the exhaust haha.

Did you diy the turbo swap at all or get a garage involved?

No, the BMW 335 doesn't get any attention from the police unless you are hooning around. I have installed 2 sets of turbos. I had a set of RB Classics before the Super RB Evos. I do all of the work on my car myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 04:10 PM   #27
Coupes33
Major
Rep

Quote:
I've also found out the trans looks to have been serviced as part of the 100,000km logbook service. The owner hasn't changed it, but googling logbook services seems to show it is done at 100,000 as bmw says the tranny fluid should be lifelong.

Also as part of the other maintainance done recently, also included walnut blasting, and confirmed the are index 12 injectors fitted also.

Thanks guys!
The Lifeguard 6 transmission fluid must be replaced at around 100,000kms as it doesn't last for life of the transmission as BMW say. BMW make money on maintenance so if your transmission fails due the fluid not being replaced, they can sell you a new one for $10,000.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 12:03 PM   #28
Benjiiiw
Rep

Quote:
The Lifeguard 6 transmission fluid must be replaced at around 100,000kms as it doesn't last for life of the transmission as BMW say. BMW make money on maintenance so if your transmission fails due the fluid not being replaced, they can sell you a new one for $10,000.
Thanks Coupes33,

How do you find the diy side of things? I've done a lot of Holdens, and worked on my current wrx quite a bit, so curioud how diy friendly bimmers are?

So if it was done at 100,000km's i'd be looking to do it again at 200,000km's? I've read some people think its better to not change it?

And in terms of a gearbox, is there other places that if it eventually went could be purchased cheaper or rebuilt? With your amount of power have you had any trans work done?

Thanks in advance,

Ben
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 05:30 PM   #29
Coupes33
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Coupes33,

How do you find the diy side of things? I've done a lot of Holdens, and worked on my current wrx quite a bit, so curioud how diy friendly bimmers are?

So if it was done at 100,000km's i'd be looking to do it again at 200,000km's? I've read some people think its better to not change it?

And in terms of a gearbox, is there other places that if it eventually went could be purchased cheaper or rebuilt? With your amount of power have you had any trans work done?

Thanks in advance,

Ben
There is not much room to work on the turbos on these engines so you have to remove the IC, water pump, thermostat, downpipes, outlets, coolant expansion tank and DS engine mount. I followed the procedure in the Bentley Service Manual and special requirements from Rob Beck who supplied the turbos. There are probably plenty of DIYs on Youtube as well. I have been running an RVO upgraded transmission but I am about to install a Nizpro upgraded unit. I would change the transmission fluid and filter every 80-100,000kms depending on how you drive the car. You can get software upgrades for the transmission from xHP which has various stages of change depending on your needs. You just download the app and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 10:05 PM   #30
Benjiiiw
Rep

Quote:
There is not much room to work on the turbos on these engines so you have to remove the IC, water pump, thermostat, downpipes, outlets, coolant expansion tank and DS engine mount. I followed the procedure in the Bentley Service Manual and special requirements from Rob Beck who supplied the turbos. There are probably plenty of DIYs on Youtube as well. I have been running an RVO upgraded transmission but I am about to install a Nizpro upgraded unit. I would change the transmission fluid and filter every 80-100,000kms depending on how you drive the car. You can get software upgrades for the transmission from xHP which has various stages of change depending on your needs. You just download the app and go from there.
Sounds a little familiar to the rexes, as everything around the turbo goes out, such as its whole intake out, remove intercooler, etc. Spark plugs are the worst haha.

That doesn't sound too bad though!

And ok thanks for the tip coupes33!

If i may ask what rough ballpark cost would the nizpro trans set you back?
May be an option if it ever goes / chase more power

Thanks,

Ben
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 11:06 PM   #31
Coupes33
Major
Rep

Quote:
Sounds a little familiar to the rexes, as everything around the turbo goes out, such as its whole intake out, remove intercooler, etc. Spark plugs are the worst haha.

That doesn't sound too bad though!

And ok thanks for the tip coupes33!

If i may ask what rough ballpark cost would the nizpro trans set you back?
May be an option if it ever goes / chase more power

Thanks,

Ben
I was keen on installing a GM 4L80E transmission but to get the required upgrades and installation was going to cost $15,000+. The Nizpro cost $8,000.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 01:13 AM   #32
Benjiiiw
Rep

Quote:
I was keen on installing a GM 4L80E transmission but to get the required upgrades and installation was going to cost $15,000+. The Nizpro cost $8,000.
That's not too bad i suppose in the scheme of BMW. When i worked on previous holdens it was roughly the same depending on the options. They have a great video on fullboost also running 11.25 on stock turbos, with that trans. After that you should be well into 10's shouldn't you?

Also looked up the vin, and this model is optioned with the adaptive headlights, xenon headlights, comfort access, sunroof, the navigation professional, the Logic 7 hifi, climate comfort windscreen, lighting package and while it doesnt have the msport package, it has been optioned with the sports seats, sports steering wheel and sports suspension, so just missing the exterior body parts.

Got a car facts report and titles etc all check out.

Could you do me a favour Coupes33, and check the link out towards the front of the thread, and tell me what you think in regards to the condition compared to price?

I'll offer less, but i dont want to lowball the guy.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 03:33 AM   #33
Coupes33
Major
Rep

Quote:
That's not too bad i suppose in the scheme of BMW. When i worked on previous holdens it was roughly the same depending on the options. They have a great video on fullboost also running 11.25 on stock turbos, with that trans. After that you should be well into 10's shouldn't you?

Also looked up the vin, and this model is optioned with the adaptive headlights, xenon headlights, comfort access, sunroof, the navigation professional, the Logic 7 hifi, climate comfort windscreen, lighting package and while it doesnt have the msport package, it has been optioned with the sports seats, sports steering wheel and sports suspension, so just missing the exterior body parts.

Got a car facts report and titles etc all check out.

Could you do me a favour Coupes33, and check the link out towards the front of the thread, and tell me what you think in regards to the condition compared to price?

I'll offer less, but i dont want to lowball the guy.

Thanks!
Red Book states for private sale $13,000-$15,600. The car appears to be in good condition and well maintained. If you are really keen get someone like RACQ to check it out and take it for a run. If both of those work out ok with no issues, you can make an offer.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 04:02 AM   #34
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

Theres a manaul 335i for $13500.
232k km

Upgraded turbos, not sure what type
Downpipes
Intercooler

Ugly body kit but you could get a stock one back on it.

Engines are cheaper than transmissions.

Please view this ad:

BMW 335i Manual Twin Turbo 3.0L Modified M3 Replica,
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sout...nt=app_android

Price: $13,500 Negotiable
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 04:07 AM   #35
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

Auto with less ks and a few mods.

Please view this ad:

2007 335i Msport,
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/esse...nt=app_android

Price: $15,000
Appreciate 1
Ken Oath112.50
      06-13-2019, 01:31 PM   #36
Benjiiiw
Rep

Thanks for the replys guys. I'm going to get stateroads to do an inspection i think, and if it checks out offer 14,500 - 15,500. Just waiting on a reply back, if the owner is willing to negotiate on price.

Thanks for the ads Brule! I didnt look to much on gumtree as i didnt think it would have a lot of bmw's. I'll have a look through, although I'm specifically chasing a black e92 with the full beige interior. But i appreciate the links!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 03:06 PM   #37
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the replys guys. I'm going to get stateroads to do an inspection i think, and if it checks out offer 14,500 - 15,500. Just waiting on a reply back, if the owner is willing to negotiate on price.

Thanks for the ads Brule! I didnt look to much on gumtree as i didnt think it would have a lot of bmw's. I'll have a look through, although I'm specifically chasing a black e92 with the full beige interior. But i appreciate the links!
Beige wasn't as popular as black but you'll find them every now and then. Good luck mate !
      06-14-2019, 11:25 AM   #38
Benjiiiw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
Beige wasn't as popular as black but you'll find them every now and then. Good luck mate !
Thanks for that Aus335iguy!

So.. the owner said he thinks he has priced it well for whats been done, but is willing to neg on the price anyway.

I booked a stateroads inspection in for Monday, so after i go through that, i shall then begin negotiations, may just be a new 335i owner!

On a side note, what were all your previous cars? I will be coming from a 06 wrx, so will be different going for a 4 pot turbo to the duel six!
Appreciate 0