E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Ran out of gas, now I have misfires under heavy acceleration

07-18-2019, 12:55 PM   #1
WTP07
Noob
Canada
Rep
Drives: '10 335ix, '12 Santa Fe, 08FJR

Ran out of gas, now I have misfires under heavy acceleration

As the title says....

I did a stupid and forgot the car was running in the laneway, and let it run completely out of gas. Then of course, all of the hvac, stereo, lights, etc were still on and the battery went flat.

Charged the battery, got gas, got it restarted, everything good....not so much.

Now, whenever I do any heavy acceleration, I get misfires. Light to moderate acceleration is just fine, but as soon as it gets above 4k RPM, misfires again.

If I continue to accelerate hard, the CEL will illuminate and I need to shut the car off and on again to stop the misfiring.

Codes are cylinder misfires.

So, my questions is, what did I fuck up? Where to start? HPFP? LPFP? Injectors? Plugs?

I don't want to start throwing parts at it until I get a bit of direction.

Thanks for your help!

I can post data logs or specific codes if need be. (Bimmergeeks ProTool)

Cheers.
      07-18-2019, 01:16 PM   #2
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Probably sucked up some bottom of the gas tank trash and contaminated your fuel system.

Have you cleared the codes since getting them initially and they came right back?
New setup; Covid 19Ts on RFP 93 + ARM inlets, dp, VTT cp and PSP outlets
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 01:47 PM   #3
WTP07
Noob
Canada
Rep
Drives: '10 335ix, '12 Santa Fe, 08FJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post
Probably sucked up some bottom of the gas tank trash and contaminated your fuel system.

Have you cleared the codes since getting them initially and they came right back?
Yes, I can clear the codes and as long as I drive moderately, no misfire, no codes. Accelerate hard and I get the misfires, and consequently the codes.

IF I have some crap in the fuel system, where to I look? Injectors? Fuel pump pickup screen?
      07-18-2019, 04:08 PM   #4
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

I'm not sure how long the lpfp stays on after the car cuts out, but if you car was idling for a while and running on fumes then the gasoline didnt cooldown the fuel pump and could have overheated. I would think as long as you have the fuel filters in place at the bottom of the pump you shouldnt have ingested anything in your fuel system.

My suggestion is to start by loging the issue your having to see if maybe the lpfp overheated and started to malfunction. If its not that, then move onto your coils/plugs because it might also just be a fluke that something else decided to malfunction at the sametime you ran out of gas lol.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 09:44 PM   #5
Cabdriver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Run a bottle of techron, fesh tank of gas and make sure the battery is charged up via a trickle charger overnight.
Could be (as noted above) dirty, bottom ofbthe tank gas, water/condensation was sucked up. Also, if you jumped it, the battery is far from charged up which effects all electronic components, they wont be running optimally. Need to get the battery properly charged up.
After that, if the issue persists, run some logs to see what the spark timing, afr, etc look like.

Good luck
Appreciate 0