E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bluetooth Compatible Phones List

03-02-2006, 10:03 AM   #199
rogataber
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330SE (E90)

BMW have just sent this to me:

"We are able to confirm that as of yesterday, it was confirmed that the Sony Ericsson K750i software version R1AA008 is compatible with vehicles that were built after 09/2005.

BMW UK will now need to establish with the phone manufacturer whether this handset will continue to be readily available for the UK market, without the threat of any pending obsolesce. BMW Germany have to then decide whether it would be logical to invest in designing a Snap-in Adaptor for that phone.

This will be the case for other phone manufacturers, if or when they agree to guarantee their production line for handsets."

Light at the end of the tunnel?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2006, 10:11 AM   #200
sdorn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Jet Black 325i

I can't see many phone manufacturers guaranteeing a line of phones. Most cell phone models are only in production for around 12 months. That is how they sell new phones, by constantly upgrading and changing them.
2006 Jet Black 325i (SOLD)
2001 Bullitt Mustang (450rwhp - SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2006, 06:02 PM   #201
DLJJ3399
Lack of charisma can be fatal...
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
Just got the Motorola Pebble. Have T-Moblie and it works great! Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2006, 04:55 AM   #202
stratstrummer
Private
Rep
Drives: Want a 330i soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabutes
The new Verizon Razr V3c works without any problem...
No problem with call waiting and phone book transfer at all?? I heard these were issues for RAZRs
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 08:48 PM   #203
Imperial
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

I've got a Verizon Razr V3c and had no problem with call waiting or phone book transfer. Although to answer an incoming call, I have to do it on my handset, not via iDrive, but it transfers to the car speakers no problem.
      03-14-2006, 01:40 PM   #204
norwesterman
Rep
Drives: 335 08/SGry/prem/sport/cold/ca

XV6600

I couldn't find in thread: has anyone tried connecting Verizon XV6600 PDA (AudioVox - Harrier Blue Angel) to the BlueTooth system. Have '06 330 on the way, and wanted to see if this might work. Understand that phonebook unlikely to transfer, but wondering about other features. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2006, 02:00 AM   #205
Decsus
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 320d, i-Drive

I find it really disappointing that BMW does not officially support most new cell phones, not to even consider that the average age of phones thay claim to support are already 3 years old.

This really disappoints me, being a huge BMW fan and seeing BMW as one of, if not the most technologically advanced car only to learn of this short sight.

I think a software upgrade so to be compatible with more Bluetooth standards is of top priority.

@ 3301BMWguy

Does the Cingular 8125 really work?

I am looking at buying a new phone within the month (have a P900) and it would be great if the Cingular 8125 works.

Thanks C.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2006, 09:06 AM   #206
sdorn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Jet Black 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decsus
I find it really disappointing that BMW does not officially support most new cell phones, not to even consider that the average age of phones thay claim to support are already 3 years old.

This really disappoints me, being a huge BMW fan and seeing BMW as one of, if not the most technologically advanced car only to learn of this short sight.

I think a software upgrade so to be compatible with more Bluetooth standards is of top priority.

@ 3301BMWguy

Does the Cingular 8125 really work?

I am looking at buying a new phone within the month (have a P900) and it would be great if the Cingular 8125 works.

Thanks C.
I think a major hurdle to BMW being able to support a lot of phones is the huge range of differences in the way cellular phone companies implement bluetooth in their phones. Keep in mind that BMW sells cars all over the world, and every single cellular phone carrier all over the world uses bluetooth in different ways on their phones. For BMW to be able to offer one single product that is compatible with all the different ways in which these companies use bluetooth is a difficult task. With that said, I think that most phones are compatible with the BMW bluetooth system. I have read just about every thread on this forum related to bluetooth, and I don't recall anyone saying they couldn't get their phone to work at all (at least once they got the CIP 20 software upgrade). Some couldn't get phonebooks to transfer, but that is because the phones that have that problem are also PDAs or Blackberry devices which have much more robust contact management systems than a regular phone.
2006 Jet Black 325i (SOLD)
2001 Bullitt Mustang (450rwhp - SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2006, 12:46 PM   #207
dgriffin16
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

E90 Bluetooth Compatible Phones

Hello all:
I just took delivery of a 330xi (sport/premium/cold weather pkgs w/ nav) and knew that my Cingular 2125 Windows Mobile 5.0 phone was NOT on the official compatible list. That did not stop me from "pairing" my device with the car. Both devices saw each other easily. My salesperson was somewhat surprised but cautioned that I may not have access to my "Contacts" list. I was willing to accept that minor inconvenience knowing that I could at least use the incoming and outgoing phone capabilities. Well, to our surprise, my hundreds of contacts displayed beautifully on the car's screen; it has even dialed some of the more difficult sounding names via voice command. So, all that to say is that you may be surprised at the number of phones that are compatible but have yet to be officially tested.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2006, 01:27 PM   #208
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgriffin16
Hello all:
I just took delivery of a 330xi (sport/premium/cold weather pkgs w/ nav) and knew that my Cingular 2125 Windows Mobile 5.0 phone was NOT on the official compatible list. That did not stop me from "pairing" my device with the car. Both devices saw each other easily. My salesperson was somewhat surprised but cautioned that I may not have access to my "Contacts" list. I was willing to accept that minor inconvenience knowing that I could at least use the incoming and outgoing phone capabilities. Well, to our surprise, my hundreds of contacts displayed beautifully on the car's screen; it has even dialed some of the more difficult sounding names via voice command. So, all that to say is that you may be surprised at the number of phones that are compatible but have yet to be officially tested.
I also have a Windows Mobile 5 phone- the Orange SPV C600 in the UK. It works fine & the phonebook transfers over without any problem.
The only slight inconvenience is the lack of a signal strength meter on the idrive display when using the phone.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2006, 09:50 AM   #209
bakdraft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320 D, March 2006,

Post Nokia software versions for phone support

Hi

Attached below is a current Nokia compatability list for Bluetooth prep options 644 and 643.... It lists compatible phone version software along with the supported features

If this has been posted before ... sorry too many posting to review them all...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2006, 08:10 AM   #210
danm
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320 D SE

Phone Address Book

Hi

I'm a bit confused - I have just taken delivey of my 320 SE, and I have the Pro Sat Nav with I Drive etc.

My phone is a Nokia 3230 - and I have set it up and it works fine with blue tooth, with the exception of the phone's address book - which I cannot access. I didn't know that it was only certain blue tooth phones that would work with the car - but I think that's what this list is saying?

I get numbers appearing but no names, and I can't search on anything in the A-Z list.

Is there anyway around this? Will be really annoyed if not!!!

Many thanks!
Dan
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2006, 10:49 AM   #211
seh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by danm
My phone is a Nokia 3230 - and I have set it up and it works fine with blue tooth, with the exception of the phone's address book - which I cannot access.
This is the case with most if not all of Nokia's current Series 60-based phones. I just started using my 6682 with the car and find the same lack of phonebook access -- despite supposed support for all the requisite Bluetooth profiles.

Searching this forum shows people reporting the same problems in mid-2005. It's a shame that no recent software updates for the car have extended compatibility to the Series 60-based phones (as far as I know).
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2006, 02:51 PM   #212
bakdraft
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danm
Hi

I'm a bit confused - I have just taken delivey of my 320 SE, and I have the Pro Sat Nav with I Drive etc.

My phone is a Nokia 3230 - and I have set it up and it works fine with blue tooth, with the exception of the phone's address book - .......
Same for me ( car as well as phone problem ).. The reason I posted the above chart is because I cannot access my phone book either. The dealer suggested I needed to get my phone software upgraded. Indeed the chart does say my phone a Nokia 6230 does support phone book download with the correct software version.

Without the download of the phone book, the phone facility is... well I can't say useless, but very poor as I make a lot of business calls.

So I will get my phone upgraded and then review and then visit the dealer again..

Watch this space...

Dave
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2006, 03:06 PM   #213
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakdraft
Same for me ( car as well as phone problem ).. The reason I posted the above chart is because I cannot access my phone book either. The dealer suggested I needed to get my phone software upgraded. Indeed the chart does say my phone a Nokia 6230 does support phone book download with the correct software version.

Without the download of the phone book, the phone facility is... well I can't say useless, but very poor as I make a lot of business calls.

So I will get my phone upgraded and then review and then visit the dealer again..

Watch this space...

Dave
I purposely upgraded to the Orange SPV C600, because it works & can access the phonebook. No problem with my old Sony Ericsson T610 either.

PS- Click HERE for info about the first UK meet!

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2006, 04:22 PM   #214
bakdraft
Private First Class
Rep

Hmm... I have to say that after 2 weeks.... I am a little disapointed about some aspects of the car.

I have a second 3 series.. an E46 325i with professional phone and Sat Nav.

The pro phone is great has full SMS text message facility, phone book etc...

The Sat Nav has a bigger screen, you can remove the split if you want, better map detail, faster routing, TMC that works etc...

That's not to say that the E90 doesn't have it's great ponts.. it'sjust that you expect the technology to get better.. not worse

End of rant!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2006, 01:08 PM   #215
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakdraft
Hmm... I have to say that after 2 weeks.... I am a little disapointed about some aspects of the car.

I have a second 3 series.. an E46 325i with professional phone and Sat Nav.

The pro phone is great has full SMS text message facility, phone book etc...

The Sat Nav has a bigger screen, you can remove the split if you want, better map detail, faster routing, TMC that works etc...

That's not to say that the E90 doesn't have it's great ponts.. it'sjust that you expect the technology to get better.. not worse

End of rant!
I agree with some of your rant, bakdraft. Having the choice to remove the idrive screen split would be nice. I don't think the map detail is too bad- I'd just like full postcode entry like on the TomToms.
Routing does take a while initially, but the re-routing during the journey is great.
My TMC has worked without problem. It diverted me around the A1, avoiding a couple of accidents, the day I picked the car up.
At least a software update now lets me have mp3s on all the CD drives.
I'd like to be able to use voice recognition for the destination addressbook.
Perhaps a future software update will rectify these problems.

Viv

PS- Click HERE for info about the first UK meet!

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 04:46 PM   #216
wamy
Wamy
Rep
Drives: e90-325i- monaco blue

i need your opinion in this . i have my e90 without the bluetooth phone and i would like to have the ability to use such technology in my car , but here is the case , the dealer told me that the bluetooth for the e90 is not working really well and cost way too much. so one guy told me about a bluetooth car kit from sony ericson that can support up to 5 mobile phones at one and can also access the phone book if you are using a sony ericson mobile. the question is can the car kit be connected to the car system so i can use the multifunction buttons and use the car speekers ? do you guys support me to install it ? btw it costs something like 190$ add to it the installation .
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2006, 12:26 AM   #217
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 320dSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamy
....so one guy told me about a bluetooth car kit from sony ericson.... the question is can the car kit be connected to the car system so i can use the multifunction buttons and use the car speekers ? ....
I spent a lot of money on the BMW option and deferred a mobile phone change until I received my car, for one reason. Integration. The BMW kit integrates seamlessly with the rest of the vehicle.

I don't know the HF kit that you are taling about, bit I very much doubt it will integrate anything like as well as the BMW option.

Steering whell buttons? probably not. Speakers? maybe, but probably not as well as the BMW kit. Address book? where does this display? What will the BMW dealer question on warranty, once you have had you car hacked about with to install the third party kit?. What about voice command integration?

The "Problems" with the BMW kit are largely down to it's compatibility with a limited range of phones and (according to other posts here) earlier software issues in the car which have been vastly improved recently.

You are most likely paying a lot of money for the car. Why put a "rough edge" on the experience by skimping on the phone integration? If you get the BMW kit, DO check the latest compatibility charts and get a compatible phone at the same time.

But in the end "You pays your money and you takes your choice!"
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2006, 04:01 AM   #218
wamy
Wamy
Rep
Drives: e90-325i- monaco blue

i dont know really about the warranty issue . the address book can be browsed via a screen which is part of the kit . and to tell the truth the advice came from a BMW dealer but other than the one who sold me the car and thats why i asked for help . thanks for replying
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2006, 11:56 AM   #219
BMWDrew
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90, SPT, PREM, MAN

Bluetooth Devices

Pretty much all bluetooth phones are compatible with cars that are equipped the BMW assist. BMW assist is either a stand alone option or included in the premium package. Certain PDAs you can use with the bluetooth device but only to communicate hands free. Because the address books in are in a different format the phone numbers do not download. (blackberry, treo 650+). Also, other phone carriers bluetooth phones will work, they just haven' t been tested and approved by BMW.

Just a FYI, next time in your car, voice command "save name" then follow the instructions. You will all find the system is very easy and convienient to use.

Drew
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 03:12 PM   #220
alpappy
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 320 DSE

Motorola e1000 and nokia 6280

HI I have both on my new e90 and they both work 100%
alan
Appreciate 0