E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Car in limp mode after belt broke

06-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #23
HomerSumpson
Rep
Drives: BMW 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster900 View Post
I would go back to the shop which performed oil change and demand the resolution since they are the ones who made the mistake not installing o-ring back on.
I would but I have no proof. The oil pan was never dropped by the shop either
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 07:19 PM   #24
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSumpson View Post
...The oil pan was never dropped by the shop either
Your oil pump suction strainer is likely clogged with pieces of the shredded belt which is causing the low oil pressure condition.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 07:42 PM   #25
HomerSumpson
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
Your oil pump suction strainer is likely clogged with pieces of the shredded belt which is causing the low oil pressure condition.
Ok. Where do i buy a new one? I cant find anything about it online for the AWD 325

Last edited by HomerSumpson; 06-08-2019 at 07:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 03:14 AM   #26
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Ok. Where do i buy a new one? I cant find anything about it online for the AWD 325
You have evidence that your oil pressure is low: (1) Oil Pressure Warning Light, and (2) VANOS fault codes, BOTH cams too retarded.

I would:
1) Drain the oil from the sump and filter housing;
2) Remove the OZS (Oil Condition Sensor) at the rear of the pan;
3) Get a borescope or other means of inspecting the oil pickup screen at the rear of the sump, and inspect EVERYTHING you can get a view of with the scope, particularly the pickup screen.
4) Scrape/remove any belt shreds from the screen and from anywhere you can reach in the sump with forceps, chopsticks, suction device, whatever it takes.
5) Consult your friendly, local orthopaedist or other expert in arthroscopic surgery.

Time to get creative on ways to get belt debris OUT of the sump WITHOUT dropping the pan. Suction, such as with a vacuum pump used for evacuating A/C might be helpful used in conjunction with scope. With the correct technique and tools you could probably inspect & clean as well in an hour or two as you could with the pan dropped.

You're looking at HOURS to drop the pan on an X-drive, so it makes sense to get an "endoscope" inspection scope that you can use with your laptop, etc. Check Amazon for items such as this page:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=endoscope...ref=sr_nr_n_11

Anyone used one of these, and can give advice on how to insert & control to inspect different areas in crankcase?

George
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 05:44 AM   #27
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
You have evidence that your oil pressure is low: (1) Oil Pressure Warning Light, and (2) VANOS fault codes, BOTH cams too retarded.

I would:
1) Drain the oil from the sump and filter housing;
2) Remove the OZS (Oil Condition Sensor) at the rear of the pan;
3) Get a borescope or other means of inspecting the oil pickup screen at the rear of the sump, and inspect EVERYTHING you can get a view of with the scope, particularly the pickup screen.
4) Scrape/remove any belt shreds from the screen and from anywhere you can reach in the sump with forceps, chopsticks, suction device, whatever it takes.
5) Consult your friendly, local orthopaedist or other expert in arthroscopic surgery.

Time to get creative on ways to get belt debris OUT of the sump WITHOUT dropping the pan. Suction, such as with a vacuum pump used for evacuating A/C might be helpful used in conjunction with scope. With the correct technique and tools you could probably inspect & clean as well in an hour or two as you could with the pan dropped.

You're looking at HOURS to drop the pan on an X-drive, so it makes sense to get an "endoscope" inspection scope that you can use with your laptop, etc. Check Amazon for items such as this page:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=endoscope...ref=sr_nr_n_11

Anyone used one of these, and can give advice on how to insert & control to inspect different areas in crankcase?

George
George,

That’s a good suggestion. Maybe even one step father would be to use a hole saw and drill a 2” hole into the bottom of the pan near the pickup for access. Then after cleaning weld that 2” plug you removed back into place. The pan is just thin steel right?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 11:01 AM   #28
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
You don't buy one. You clean it. Which normally involves dropping the oil pan to get access to it. It is just a metal screen on the end of the tube that connects to the suction of your oil pump. Bits of the shredded belt block the holes in the screen which limits oil flow through the oil pump.

Here are some threads on the subject with pictures:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1305990

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768753

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=23

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1477111

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=28

Last edited by arkie6; 06-09-2019 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 03:34 PM   #29
HomerSumpson
Rep

Alright thanks for all the suggestions guys. Im gonna try the endoscope first then go from there. I appreciate all the help and ill post an update once I get it done.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 06:18 PM   #30
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
George,

That’s a good suggestion. Maybe even one step father would be to use a hole saw and drill a 2” hole into the bottom of the pan near the pickup for access. Then after cleaning weld that 2” plug you removed back into place. The pan is just thin steel right?
no.
the XI pan is aluminum and the driveshaft passes through it.

do not cut holes in it.

maybe you can get it through the condition sensor hole, but there's going to be places you can't see or access.

the pan needs to come off if you want any piece of mind about a random piece of belt just randomly killing your motor.

the shop that cleaned it out the first time should have known that. work a deal with them on the labor.
pray that you haven't wiped out the bearings.
which is something you check while you have the pan off.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 01:05 PM   #31
HomerSumpson
Rep

FINAL UPDATE! Please read if having similar issue

I wanted to quickly update this in case anyone with a similar problem came upon this thread and to also update the people that helped out. After taking the oil pan off and cleaning the material out of the screen it seems the shop that helped retime it left it running on low oil pressure so I drained the oil and sure enough there was metal fragments. I dropped a new motor in and it works like new now. For people having the same issue as in belt got shredded please listen, DO NOT start the car till you have taken the pulley off and made sure all the belt fragments are out as they can easily get wrapped around that and are hard to see. If you replace the belt and still have problems don't go down the rabbit hole like I did. If the timing is off and it wont start or theres low oil pressure your best bet is to replace the engine which I know costs a lot but at the same time you'll spend the same or more trying to diagnose each of these issues and it still might be a lost cause. For how much of a headache this was I honestly hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3763.50