E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Can the JB4 DAMAGE DME or ECU. READ



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-16-2017, 07:31 PM   #1
heracles97
Private
Canada
0
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: bmw 335i e90 2010
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Exclamation Can the JB4 DAMAGE DME or ECU. READ

Hello,
I recently purchases a JB4 from eBay. The seller stated it as Brand new.
It was the G5 ISO.

It came with a USB cord. And everything seems to be fine.
BUT... I noticed that the G5 modules in the box ( or case ) was not properly inserted and would make a noise when I would shake it.

I also noticed something else, the module itself has a mediocre smell to it.
Can't describe it as burnt electronics but its unpleasant, that's a fact.

I am worried that it might be water damage.. but can't be forsure.

The module looks sparkly clean, definitely looks like a brand new unit

Anyways I opened a case with paypal, and hoping to get my money back.
But so far the owner is able to prove to paypal that the item is brand new ( he showed receipts etc )


Main topic, if I properly install the JB4 is there a possibility to damage my ecu or dme?

I am really pissed because I paid 450 USD.. and don't want it to go to waste.

If anyone can help me, id appreciate it.

Any way to check if its functioning without plugging it to the car?
I understand its a piggyback, but would like to know if there are risks.
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 07:35 PM   #2
puppydax
Lieutenant
puppydax's Avatar
United_States
132
Rep
522
Posts

Drives: E82 135i
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2016 Viper ACR  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by heracles97 View Post
Hello,
I recently purchases a JB4 from eBay. The seller stated it as Brand new.
It was the G5 ISO.

It came with a USB cord. And everything seems to be fine.
BUT... I noticed that the G5 modules in the box ( or case ) was not properly inserted and would make a noise when I would shake it.

I also noticed something else, the module itself has a mediocre smell to it.
Can't describe it as burnt electronics but its unpleasant, that's a fact.

I am worried that it might be water damage.. but can't be forsure.

The module looks sparkly clean, definitely looks like a brand new unit

Anyways I opened a case with paypal, and hoping to get my money back.
But so far the owner is able to prove to paypal that the item is brand new ( he showed receipts etc )


Main topic, if I properly install the JB4 is there a possibility to damage my ecu or dme?

I am really pissed because I paid 450 USD.. and don't want it to go to waste.

If anyone can help me, id appreciate it.

Any way to check if its functioning without plugging it to the car?
I understand its a piggyback, but would like to know if there are risks.
Thank you
If you properly installed it, no there can't be any damage unless you re-routed pins. If it were installed incorrectly, the car would run like crap, but not cause damage to the ECU.

It is also probably wise to do this type of research prior to purchasing something so you're not dragging someone else down because of your lack of research. If it is a brand new product and I'm dealing with someone who opened a dispute for their inability to __________________, I'd be pretty irritated.
Appreciate 1
FCobra941934.50

      11-16-2017, 07:45 PM   #3
heracles97
Private
Canada
0
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: bmw 335i e90 2010
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by heracles97 View Post
Hello,
I recently purchases a JB4 from eBay. The seller stated it as Brand new.
It was the G5 ISO.

It came with a USB cord. And everything seems to be fine.
BUT... I noticed that the G5 modules in the box ( or case ) was not properly inserted and would make a noise when I would shake it.

I also noticed something else, the module itself has a mediocre smell to it.
Can't describe it as burnt electronics but its unpleasant, that's a fact.

I am worried that it might be water damage.. but can't be forsure.

The module looks sparkly clean, definitely looks like a brand new unit

Anyways I opened a case with paypal, and hoping to get my money back.
But so far the owner is able to prove to paypal that the item is brand new ( he showed receipts etc )


Main topic, if I properly install the JB4 is there a possibility to damage my ecu or dme?

I am really pissed because I paid 450 USD.. and don't want it to go to waste.

If anyone can help me, id appreciate it.

Any way to check if its functioning without plugging it to the car?
I understand its a piggyback, but would like to know if there are risks.
Thank you
If you properly installed it, no there can't be any damage unless you re-routed pins. If it were installed incorrectly, the car would run like crap, but not cause damage to the ECU.

It is also probably wise to do this type of research prior to purchasing something so you're not dragging someone else down because of your lack of research. If it is a brand new product and I'm dealing with someone who opened a dispute for their inability to __________________, I'd be pretty irritated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by heracles97 View Post
Hello,
I recently purchases a JB4 from eBay. The seller stated it as Brand new.
It was the G5 ISO.

It came with a USB cord. And everything seems to be fine.
BUT... I noticed that the G5 modules in the box ( or case ) was not properly inserted and would make a noise when I would shake it.

I also noticed something else, the module itself has a mediocre smell to it.
Can't describe it as burnt electronics but its unpleasant, that's a fact.

I am worried that it might be water damage.. but can't be forsure.

The module looks sparkly clean, definitely looks like a brand new unit

Anyways I opened a case with paypal, and hoping to get my money back.
But so far the owner is able to prove to paypal that the item is brand new ( he showed receipts etc )


Main topic, if I properly install the JB4 is there a possibility to damage my ecu or dme?

I am really pissed because I paid 450 USD.. and don't want it to go to waste.

If anyone can help me, id appreciate it.

Any way to check if its functioning without plugging it to the car?
I understand its a piggyback, but would like to know if there are risks.
Thank you
If you properly installed it, no there can't be any damage unless you re-routed pins. If it were installed incorrectly, the car would run like crap, but not cause damage to the ECU.

It is also probably wise to do this type of research prior to purchasing something so you're not dragging someone else down because of your lack of research. If it is a brand new product and I'm dealing with someone who opened a dispute for their inability to __________________, I'd be pretty irritated.
Completely understand your point of view, but I really do feel like this is NOT a brand new unit.
He described as testing it ONCE.
And yet put it as a brand new item.
HERE are pictures that justifies my point.
The label looks used up...
but the module itself looks brand new.
I am no expert, but that doesn't look like a brand new unit.

So as long as I install it properly, should assume it would work?


But what if it were water damaged?

Sorry jumping to conclusions, since I really don't want to mess anything up with my car.
Thank you
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 09:21 PM   #4
RocketSurgeon
Lieutenant
244
Rep
447
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i Manual, CBR650F
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Board looks fine. I see zero evidence of damage.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 12:17 PM   #5
FCobra94
Brigadier General
FCobra94's Avatar
1935
Rep
4,105
Posts

Drives: '07 E90 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heracles97 View Post
He described as testing it ONCE.
And yet put it as a brand new item.
HERE are pictures that justifies my point.
And you still bought it?

You haven't turned one wrench yet and are already experiencing issues...I think you'd be much better suited to a flash tune that's more foolproof: AccessPort, MHD, etc.
__________________
'07 E90 335i - Automagic - Non-sport
MHD E60|Alpina Flash|Stg 2 LPFP|VRSF 7"FMIC-DP-CP|TIAL BOV|cp-e DCI
Bilstein B6|Dinan Camber Plates|E93 M3 FSB-LCA-Guide Rods|Manzo Toe Arms|HPS 5.0
Sonic Tuning ST100 - 18x8.5 ET35 - Conti DWS 245/40/18 - 10/20 F/R spacers
Appreciate 2
puppydax131.50
feuer2371.00

      11-17-2017, 01:24 PM   #6
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
3360
Rep
70,354
Posts


Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: N54tuning.com

iTrader: (90)

Looks fine to me but should have bought a new one if so concerned. It's not much more than you paid and new ones come with a warranty from BMS.

Mike
Appreciate 4
      11-23-2017, 02:59 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
7551
Rep
91,731
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (16)

Yes there is always a possibility of getting a damaged tune that can damage your ECU. Thats the risk you take when buying a used ECU chip.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 04:21 AM   #8
Brandon818
Private First Class
Brandon818's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
146
Posts

Drives: 2012 Bmw 335is coupe
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Los angeles

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2012 BMW 335is  [0.00]
This definitely looks used, the label looks like its been in water or pulled and re applied poorly. Someone also wrote on the case in sharpie "iso". As for shaking the unit and and hearing things move around; I think its normal because mine did the same thing. You should easily be able to win the dispute with paypal, if you dont want it and decide to purchase with someone reputable such as mike. Call paypal up and tell them the unit is used due to the sticker, and being written on, also offer to email the pictures to them. Best of luck!
__________________
FBO 335is + Carbon Goodies
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 12:59 PM   #9
MysticRob
Captain
395
Rep
671
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i E90
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
And you still bought it?

You haven't turned one wrench yet and are already experiencing issues...I think you'd be much better suited to a flash tune that's more foolproof: AccessPort, MHD, etc.
LOL, I stopped reading after "I recently purchases (sic) a JB4 from eBay".

So many trusting souls, I wish I wasn't so moral and ethical so I could take advantage of people. Damn my upbringing.

OP, don't buy 2nd (or possibly 3rd, 4th, etc) hand electronic or mechanical goods from remote sellers if you've never seen them work. Hopefully a lesson learned for everyone.
__________________
2009 E90 335i M-Sport Sedan / 140k Miles / Alpine White Exterior / Chestnut Brown Interior / Mishimoto FMIC / MHD Stage 2+FMIC 91 CA-Octane Tune.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
dme, jb4, n54, tune

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:09 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST