E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Home Made Vs. Purchased Performance Analyzer

09-29-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
addicted2drums
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

Home Made Vs. Purchased Performance Analyzer

Has anyone messed around with the g-force meters out there? I am looking for a simple and cheap option, here is what I found.

I came across a company G-Tech. They say that all you need to do is plug it into your cigarette lighter and you are good to go...if this is true I like it. Drilling holes in my car has always been something I avoid to all ends. They are able to get the RPM from the Cigarette Lighter and with the 3 way G-Force meter they can get 0-60, horsepower, torque, etc...

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/gtech.htm

The other thing I found is a home made product. I am not too handy with making my own electronics, so I wanted to know if anyone has done this either. It looks a lot cheaper than the G-Tech. All it does is measure g force though.

http://www.pyroelectro.com/projects/car_gmeter/

Last edited by addicted2drums; 09-30-2008 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: more appropriate title
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #2
HighVoltage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

I have one of the early Gtech Pros (blue display) before they split it into 2 models (RR/SS) and changed the display to amber. Its preety much an SS with a bit less flash so I cant store as much data in one run.

Its fairly accurate. I had results within a 1/10th sec compared to a track. The caveat with the tachometer (RPM) read was that on a BMW you have to turn on just about every cabin accessory in order to put a big enough load on the system to produce a voltage ripple large enough for the unit to read. So that meant turning on the AC, defrosters, etc...Not sure it is still an issue but it is something to ask them about. Its not a bit deal though unless you want to calculate your power output or use the shift light option.
Appreciate 0