Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > How much is a tire balance at a dealer?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-06-2009, 01:08 AM   #1
fernande-bmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E90 M-Sport

How much is a tire balance at a dealer?

Does anyone know in average how much it would be to mount a tire to a new wheel, install the TPMS sensors/valves and balance it at a dealer?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 03:35 AM   #2
Lenaxia
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi 6MT

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Just had my front driver's side tire remounted and rebalanced last week. Was $36. I don't have TPMS but I don't think that should add all that much if anything at all.
      11-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
fernande-bmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenaxia View Post
Just had my front driver's side tire remounted and rebalanced last week. Was $36. I don't have TPMS but I don't think that should add all that much if anything at all.
Good, thanks. That's a good reference point.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

tire mounting and balancing is typically about $100-$120 for a set of 4 at a good shop... you can get cheaper prices from smaller shops but they often end up scratching your rims. so i usually bring it to a dealer or a responsible shop.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
mmm def
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 330, 19 ND2 RF, 11 RX350

ya either take it to a dealer or go to a high end shop. I had new tires mounted on my 162's right before my lease was up (I ended up buying it) and they scratched all 4. I had to get them all fixed.

Now I have the Porsche dealer do it, and they do a real nice job. I have a friend who works there if u wonder why.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
chaz58
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328iT

Go to a good shop with a good Hunter machine that can do road force ballace. You should be OK with that, but it is going to cost $100+ for all 4 wheels.

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 02:17 AM   #7
fernande-bmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, this is higher than I expected, but good information nonetheless.

For those who want to know, I asked the question because I can get a set of tires, wheels, TPMS sensors from the Tire Rack already mounted and road force balanced.

However, I really wanted to get Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme tires instead of the Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 ROF that come from the Tire Rack, but the Tire Rack does not sell the Vredestein brand.

Hence, I was wondering how much extra it would cost me to get the wheels, tires, and sensors separately and have everything mounted at the delivery center.

So, it looks like an extra $100+ for the "privilege" of getting Vredestein tires. Perhaps the Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 ROF are not too bad of a choice after all.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 07:32 AM   #8
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernande-bmw View Post
Well, this is higher than I expected, but good information nonetheless.

For those who want to know, I asked the question because I can get a set of tires, wheels, TPMS sensors from the Tire Rack already mounted and road force balanced.

However, I really wanted to get Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme tires instead of the Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 ROF that come from the Tire Rack, but the Tire Rack does not sell the Vredestein brand.

Hence, I was wondering how much extra it would cost me to get the wheels, tires, and sensors separately and have everything mounted at the delivery center.

So, it looks like an extra $100+ for the "privilege" of getting Vredestein tires. Perhaps the Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 ROF are not too bad of a choice after all.
It'll be more than that. NTB and similar shops charge in the vicinity of $30 per wheel for mounting and balance - dealers charge more.

To get a better estimate for your locality, go to the Tirerack site and find local installers. Pick one or two and you'll see that prices are listed.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #9
Hasek9339
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Montego Blue

I got raped but.....

Well In September when i switched from RFT to Non-RFT the dealer charged me $180. They even nickled and dimed me and charged me for each Zinc weight. I was picky so I had it done at the dealer they did a nice job and did not do any damage thank god! Would I use the dealer again maybe, Next time I will find a reputable shop that wont be so expensive
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
fernande-bmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
It'll be more than that. NTB and similar shops charge in the vicinity of $30 per wheel for mounting and balance - dealers charge more.

To get a better estimate for your locality, go to the Tirerack site and find local installers. Pick one or two and you'll see that prices are listed.
The thing is that I don't care about the price of local installers. It has to be a BMW delivery center because that's where I will be getting the car and need to have the tires installed in the car before I drive out.

So, either I send them a full set from the Tire Rack with the Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 ROF tires already installed and balanced, or all the pieces separate with the Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme tires which the dealer will have to install and balance.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 11:09 AM   #11
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernande-bmw View Post
The thing is that I don't care about the price of local installers. It has to be a BMW delivery center because that's where I will be getting the car and need to have the tires installed in the car before I drive out.

So, either I send them a full set from the Tire Rack with the Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 ROF tires already installed and balanced, or all the pieces separate with the Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme tires which the dealer will have to install and balance.

Thanks!
It would be nice for you to give us information all at the same time instead of handing it out piecemeal.

So your question is "what will the dealer charge me to mount my winter tires on a second set of my wheels. I will supply the TPMS sensors?"

In that case the answer is in the vicinity of $200. add $400 if you want them to supply the TPMS sensors. OTOH, you might be able to work that into a freebie since you're buying the car there - but you'd need to work that out well in advance.

Walking in just off the street they'll probably charge you $50 just to put the Tirerack wheels on the car.

BTW, the Dunlops are much better than the Vredesteins. The Vredesteins are more geared towards snow performance where the Michelin XIce2 beats it easily - as does the ContiWinterExtremes.

You know, you could have the Vredesteins mounted and balanced at the place where you buy the tires and take the complete set to the BMW dealer to install - then it'll be just like the Tirerack combo.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #12
fernande-bmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It would be nice for you to give us information all at the same time instead of handing it out piecemeal.

So your question is "what will the dealer charge me to mount my winter tires on a second set of my wheels. I will supply the TPMS sensors?"
My question was clear and to the point. I did not see the point of all the background details. But considering that some people like to know everything, I decided to provide it nonetheless.

Quote:
BTW, the Dunlops are much better than the Vredesteins. The Vredesteins are more geared towards snow performance where the Michelin XIce2 beats it easily - as does the ContiWinterExtremes.
I am not sure where you are getting your facts from, but both the Dunlop and Vredestein are performance snow tires, which is exactly what I am looking for. The Vredestein are better all around (dry, wet, snow and ice) and last longer than the Dunlop.

The Michelin XIce2 is a snow/ice tire and outperforms both the Dunlop and Vredestein in snow and ice, but performs poorly on dry/wet roads.

If you have any data contradicting the statements above, please go ahead and post it here. I will gladly accept any information you may provide.

Quote:
You know, you could have the Vredesteins mounted and balanced at the place where you buy the tires and take the complete set to the BMW dealer to install - then it'll be just like the Tirerack combo.
Well, that's the root cause of this whole issue. If I wanted to spend $2,500+, then I could get the Vredestein tires mounted on some expensive rims for the winter. However, it does not make sense to buy expensive rims for the winter. What you need is a good set of tires that provide you the handling and traction you need for the harsh road conditions.

The whole point of going to the Tire Rack is to get the best price available in the market for good quality products. However, they do not offer the Vredestein brand. So, either I compromise for the Dunlop tires or get everything separate and send it to the delivery center, which, BTW, already knows about this.

Getting everything separate will be more expensive, I just wanted to get an idea of how much more.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #13
cb1111
Rep

You're right - I was thinking of another Vredestein Snowtrac tire. However, the 3D remains the standard in snowtires.

See this - although it is in German

http://www.autozeitung.de/node/382255/10

There's no reason why you can't buy wheels (and sensors if you want) from a place like Tirerack and have the Vredestein dealer mount them - then take that to the BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #14
fernande-bmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're right - I was thinking of another Vredestein Snowtrac tire. However, the 3D remains the standard in snowtires.

Thanks for link.

Quote:
There's no reason why you can't buy wheels (and sensors if you want) from a place like Tirerack and have the Vredestein dealer mount them - then take that to the BMW dealer.
It is a little bit complicated as I am ordering everything online and the delivery center is not local. So, I am doing everything remotely.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 01:19 AM   #15
shahils12
BALLER
Rep
Drives: 2K8 E93, 2K8 E60. N54s

$20 and some change at Sams Club. Done it twice, no issues with Rim scratching, they do a fantastic job.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 01:32 AM   #16
Neutrino45
Major
Rep
Drives: XXX

I would be careful about that. Not all SAM's Club are created equal.
      11-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #17
gimmes name
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335 E92, 335 E93, S550, CLS550

no doybt
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #18
chaz58
Captain
Rep

They aren't going to do road force ballance for $20. Tire rack and the dealer do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahils12 View Post
$20 and some change at Sams Club. Done it twice, no issues with Rim scratching, they do a fantastic job.

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #19
chaz58
Captain
Rep

I love the Dunlops (this is after swearing off of snow tires for good because all of the high rated tires were crap). these tires changed my mind on snow tires. I think you'll be happy with them.

Where did you read the Vredestein were better?

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 02:02 PM   #20
chaz58
Captain
Rep

Yep, Dunlop got 1st and
Vredstein got 4th
Interestingly Nokian got last at 10th.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #21
chaz58
Captain
Rep

$30 each sounds about right - but you can talk them down on a $120 pure labor cost if you go when they aren't too busy. Call ahead - they may give you the discount just to get you in the door.

Quote:

Appreciate 0