E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Those who have had their Eccentric Shaft Sensor fail...

11-21-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Those who have had their Eccentric Shaft Sensor fail...

I’m getting consistent 2A31/33/35/37 codes and my redline is capped at 6500. Finally, I can just barely see the start of oil ingress into the sensor plug so I’m 99% sure the sensor is toast. Also, I got a few stumble starts a month or so ago shortly before reading codes above.

My question to those who have also had this failure, if the car is truly running off throttle position now instead of VVT, will I eventually see further degradation of performance or will the car “run fine” from here on out?

If you’ve had the sensor replaced since, how much fuel efficiency have you picked back up? I’m recording about 23.5 MPG split 50/50 town/highway.

While I’m in there, is there anything else I should do preventatively? Obviously VCG and associated seals and probably even just the whole VC. I’ll likely buy the PCV tubing kit in the case that I break it with intentions of returning it if I’m successful.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 05:49 AM   #2
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Why would you replace valve cover if it is not cracked? Depending on mileage of your plugs, you can swap them out.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 05:35 PM   #3
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Why would you replace valve cover if it is not cracked? Depending on mileage of your plugs, you can swap them out.
2 reputable local shops said the stock VC is often warped after removal and has trouble sealing evenly. I’d probably buy the kit and return it if my stock one is pretty planar
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 08:46 AM   #4
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
2 reputable local shops said the stock VC is often warped after removal and has trouble sealing evenly. I’d probably buy the kit and return it if my stock one is pretty planar
How many miles on the car?

Mine is closing in on 80K fast, but the VC itself was fine. I think a lot of people break them on accident during removal....or there was a crack already in it that necessitated doing the job.

Hopefully yours is fine and you can return it if not needed.
      11-26-2019, 08:58 AM   #5
Pittz1
2018 M3 ZCP / 06 330xi
Rep
Drives: 330xi 2006 / 18 M3 ZCP

I was getting longer cranks and rough starts before changing my VC gasket and VSS, just last month. I was able to clean off the oil in the sensor and plug temporarily until I fixed it. I will say, that helped a lot with starting the car until I repaired it. my VSS was soaked in oil.

No brainer to replace the VC if you are doing the job. Not worth going through all of the trouble to have to do it again.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 10:04 AM   #6
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
How many miles on the car?

Mine is closing in on 80K fast, but the VC itself was fine. I think a lot of people break them on accident during removal....or there was a crack already in it that necessitated doing the job.

Hopefully yours is fine and you can return it if not needed.
77k currently with no signs of seepage or cracks in the typical areas of the VC. I think I will bite the bullet and "do it right the first time" since FCPEuro has a pretty good price on the OEM VC kit and I have a 5% discount code on top. My intent is to keep the car for a good long time so a "lifetime" warranty on this part is pretty sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittz1 View Post
I was getting longer cranks and rough starts before changing my VC gasket and VSS, just last month. I was able to clean off the oil in the sensor and plug temporarily until I fixed it. I will say, that helped a lot with starting the car until I repaired it. my VSS was soaked in oil.

No brainer to replace the VC if you are doing the job. Not worth going through all of the trouble to have to do it again.
Thats what i am leaning towards. For $300 or less in additional parts and the peace of mind going forward, i think its worth it but maybe im just justifying it to myself now.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 11:48 AM   #7
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
77k currently with no signs of seepage or cracks in the typical areas of the VC. I think I will bite the bullet and "do it right the first time" since FCPEuro has a pretty good price on the OEM VC kit and I have a 5% discount code on top. My intent is to keep the car for a good long time so a "lifetime" warranty on this part is pretty sweet.

Thats what i am leaning towards. For $300 or less in additional parts and the peace of mind going forward, i think its worth it but maybe im just justifying it to myself now.
Smart...not knocking anything. I think if I had to do it again, I could shave 50%-60% off of my R&R time. At least you don't have to worry about all the cleaning of the old one involved. Our cars are similar in mileage.

I went with FCP on new Disa Valves for the same reason when I did the 3SI. The ones on the old manifold worked but looked worse for wear, but I figured for peace of mind I would go the route you did.
      11-26-2019, 11:55 AM   #8
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

mine failed around 80k because my vc was leaking. that sensor is so expensive.. I'd play it safe, if you have supporting funds to make it happen, for another vc.
      11-26-2019, 07:36 PM   #9
BReif61
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91, 2008 E83

Garage List
I had the ESS fail in my N52-powered X3. It began to fail intermittently, but would increase in frequency and severity. Never let me sit, however.

The failure presented as a rapid bucking, somewhat reminiscent of slow ABS engagement. Restarting the car would clear the issue for some time. Confirmed the diagnosis with a code reader.

This was early in my experience with N52s, so I did not know what to pro-actively check. But the sensor side of the plug was full of oil when I knew to look. I replaced the VC gaskets but not the actual VC.