E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Split armrest tragedy

10-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #23
stuartrav
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: 330d Msport Saloon 08 facelift

Hi,

Had my first proper long distance drive in my facelift E90 330d MSport today. God why did I lsten to the dealer when they told me the sliding arm rest was a waste of money as it only moves a short distance. My driving position makes the standard armrest about 1-2cm to rest my elbow on and still hold the steering wheel!!! So I need a sliding armrest in black leather for an E90 facelift. I am sure that I have read that the centre armrest on the facelift is different, although my understanding was that the armrest on the door changed rather than then central one. Does anyone here know? If it hasn't changed I had thought about trying to find one in good condition from a car breaker. Has anyone had any experience of doing anything like this? (I had also thought about trying to source tweeters etc to upgrade the sound system the same way).
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 05:06 AM   #24
marriedblonde
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 330 sport

Do I take it I just order one of these from the steelers? Or is there a better source for one? So much for not spending any more money on my car for a while...

J.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #25
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
I got mine from my stealer. Cost was £179 after discount for a leather version. They do supply an imitation leather version at £115 (at least they do for cream beige). I think this is because of the "leatherette" that the US gets as standard. Also the 5 series has an artificial leather option. I believe it looks the same - it just doesn't smell of leather (- though my all genuine leather interior doesn't either>)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 11:07 AM   #26
marriedblonde
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 330 sport

Thanks Alan
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 06:27 PM   #27
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 in Sakhir Orange

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartrav View Post
Hi,

Had my first proper long distance drive in my facelift E90 330d MSport today. God why did I lsten to the dealer when they told me the sliding arm rest was a waste of money as it only moves a short distance. My driving position makes the standard armrest about 1-2cm to rest my elbow on and still hold the steering wheel!!! So I need a sliding armrest in black leather for an E90 facelift. I am sure that I have read that the centre armrest on the facelift is different, although my understanding was that the armrest on the door changed rather than then central one. Does anyone here know? If it hasn't changed I had thought about trying to find one in good condition from a car breaker. Has anyone had any experience of doing anything like this? (I had also thought about trying to source tweeters etc to upgrade the sound system the same way).
I sat in an E90 before I ordered my facelift and realised the centre armrest didn't go forward enough, so I ordered the split one (in gray). Glad I did too since the extra few inches makes all the difference (I guess some of us would like more than an extra few inches ). Is yours a manual, like mine?
      11-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #28
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G15 840i Coupe

Ordered sliding armrest today same price, thanks for post which urged the purchase looks much better than standard and more useful.
      11-08-2008, 07:30 AM   #29
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Fitted split armrest today to my E93. Original did not have the spring assist but managed to fit the spring to make the new one spring assisted. Going off other links for the E90 the coupe and vert is more awkward to fit the spring because of the rear console continuing on, but it can be done, I managed by not fully inserting the pins into the final section, raising the armrest and pushing spring over the retainer then finally levering the spring where the pins pass through to align the final insertion of the serrated part of the pin. Had to remount the iPod pouch by drilling 3 holes for the self tappers job done.
      11-08-2008, 07:55 AM   #30
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I have got the sliding armrest. Only just started using it after all this fracas lol.
      11-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #31
stuartrav
Enlisted Member
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisme View Post
I sat in an E90 before I ordered my facelift and realised the centre armrest didn't go forward enough, so I ordered the split one (in gray). Glad I did too since the extra few inches makes all the difference (I guess some of us would like more than an extra few inches ). Is yours a manual, like mine?
Sorry for being so slow in replying.

I am in "discussion" with my dealer re the sliding armrest as given the fact that they persuaded me not get it when I was happy to pay the money and the fact they registered the vehicle in my name when in fact the car was meant to be registered to my company I feel I have some grounds for complaint! They have offered a discount over the full price but it’s still going to work out at over £300 fitted! I am still pushing to get it for the price as if ordered from the options list, I will let you know what happens.

My car is a manual by the way. Have today just gone over the magic running in 1200 mile mark so I think it is time to start having some fun!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 05:02 PM   #32
stuartrav
Enlisted Member
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
I got mine from my stealer. Cost was £179 after discount for a leather version. They do supply an imitation leather version at £115 (at least they do for cream beige). I think this is because of the "leatherette" that the US gets as standard. Also the 5 series has an artificial leather option. I believe it looks the same - it just doesn't smell of leather (- though my all genuine leather interior doesn't either>)
Interesting as even as a favour my stealer wants to charge me £200! What if anything did you do to get them down to this price?
      11-09-2008, 05:46 PM   #33
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Interesting as even as a favour my stealer wants to charge me £200! What if anything did you do to get them down to this price?
Got mine cream beige leather for £179 delivered to door, takes 30 mins max to fit.
      11-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #34
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
In my dealer's case, most parts have a discount code. I did get told three separate prices, two separate phone calls and when I called in person and the first one was £239 plus VAT and I hoped to get it for under £240 including VAT but when I turned up in person, it came out as £179 inclusive after discount.

I have a feeling some people look up their parts systems better than others.

Tell your dealer that it is a five minute job to switch out and other people have bought it for £179 (receipt available if you want) therefore wanting it for the option list price isn't that unreasonable of you (they can keep the old one!) and see what happens
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 03:25 AM   #35
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
In my dealer's case, most parts have a discount code. I did get told three separate prices, two separate phone calls and when I called in person and the first one was £239 plus VAT and I hoped to get it for under £240 including VAT but when I turned up in person, it came out as £179 inclusive after discount.

I have a feeling some people look up their parts systems better than others.

Tell your dealer that it is a five minute job to switch out and other people have bought it for £179 (receipt available if you want) therefore wanting it for the option list price isn't that unreasonable of you (they can keep the old one!) and see what happens

Part number for the beige leather is 51169133818 and the full price supplied only is £199 inc VAT, £179 delivered to door all inclusive by Cotswold BMW with discount.
      11-10-2008, 07:43 AM   #36
stuartrav
Enlisted Member
England
Rep

Many thanks dealer is now £180 inc VAT for the armrest and down from £146 / hour plus VAT labour to £100 / hour plus VAT for fitting bringing the grand total according to them to £297.50 which as you can see works on the basis of allowing an hour for fitting! Given someone on this website can do it in less than ½ hour with presumably little of no experience this seems some what excessive. I think I will thus hold out for still getting it at the options price of £110 and see what happens.
      11-10-2008, 10:52 AM   #37
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Many thanks dealer is now £180 inc VAT for the armrest and down from £146 / hour plus VAT labor to £100 / hour plus VAT for fitting bringing the grand total according to them to £297.50 which as you can see works on the basis of allowing an hour for fitting! Given someone on this website can do it in less than ½ hour with presumably little of no experience this seems some what excessive. I think I will thus hold out for still getting it at the options price of £110 and see what happens.
If you break the job down, once material to hand and car in place 1/2 hr max to do job. Looks like your dealer is passing on its overhead costs such as non hands on staff, service reception, booking car in etc, moving vehicle from car park to workshop and back again, handing car back over. A lot for a small job of removing 2 pins and a spring and replacing, I was most probably being generous with 1/2 hr and more like 15 mins when I think about it.
      11-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #38
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Remove small plate at rear of armrest with small bladed screwdriver - 2 small clips - 15 seconds
Remove 2 nr metal bars with correct tools - 1 minute
Lift off old armrest - 5 seconds
Place in position, new armrest - 10 seconds
Place metal bars through guides and spring - 20 seconds
Fit spring (if you know what you are doing) - 15 seconds. If you are me, endless time
Re-fit plate - 5 secs
Job done.
Add in unpacking and moving car - maximum of 15 minutes.
Appreciate 0