E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > High frequency vibrations to steering wheel in speed above 65mph

03-18-2023, 06:38 AM   #1
l3ricktop
Rep
Drives: E90 330i (N52B30)

High frequency vibrations to steering wheel in speed above 65mph

Hello Guys,
I have got e90 330i, its 2005, no active steering (servotronic?) or such a stuff.
Last autumn i did complete front arms including steering rods and ARB links, front (and rear) ARB from HR and completely new breaks from ATE.
I did all by my self, everything checked twice, everything tighten up to spec with car on the ground.
I do not drive too much during the winter, so i did only thread align on steering rods and drove around 200 miles with it.
Just to 'break in' the new pads and rotors. I did it exactly like advised by ATE. Brake hard several times without stopping completely, then drive to cool the breaks before stop.

In speed above 60mph (100km / h) ive noticed highfrequency vibrations going in to the steering wheel even on the perfect tarmac. It does not not amplify with increasing speed.

I took the car for alignment yesterday but the problem was not sorted out

When i break there are no vibrations, car is not pulling to any side and drives completely normal apart from the vibrations.
Guys in alignment shop checked the front arms and confirmed everything is done properly.

I got a suspicion that its because of tires, as i said i do not drive too much in the winter so i lave the car sit on rubber with DOT of 2015.
Old rubber could be getting hard by age and shaggy from constant sitting.

Any tip what could it possibly be?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 12:57 PM   #2
335i54n
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e39 m5

yeah buy new tires and check the rim for bends. you can try to drive fast for a while or force match the tires but with such old tires=replace
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 11:41 AM   #3
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Tires #1 or bent rim #2 since you confirmed and replaced all those parts. I drove on bad tires (visually looked OKAY) but my car vibrated like s**t at highway speeds. Once replaced it was night and day better.
Check out Firestone Indy 500 tires if you want summer performance tires on a budget.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 11:18 AM   #4
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaronbwall View Post
Tires #1 or bent rim #2 since you confirmed and replaced all those parts. I drove on bad tires (visually looked OKAY) but my car vibrated like s**t at highway speeds. Once replaced it was night and day better.
Check out Firestone Indy 500 tires if you want summer performance tires on a budget.
I went through a similar issue, chasing vibrations in the steering wheel even after replacing suspension parts and getting wheels/tires balanced several times. Only after I went to one specialty shop did they show me I had a bad tire. It was balanced fine but it was slightly out of round, and you could see it as the tire was spun.

I need new tires now. Heard a lot of good things about the Firestone Indy 500s but they're expensive now. Everywhere I looked the PS4s were not that much more. I'm trying to decide between PS4 or AS4. Weather is usually good where I live so I'd be fine with a summer only tire, but I want something that's going to last a while.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 10:45 AM   #5
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
I went through a similar issue, chasing vibrations in the steering wheel even after replacing suspension parts and getting wheels/tires balanced several times. Only after I went to one specialty shop did they show me I had a bad tire. It was balanced fine but it was slightly out of round, and you could see it as the tire was spun.

I need new tires now. Heard a lot of good things about the Firestone Indy 500s but they're expensive now. Everywhere I looked the PS4s were not that much more. I'm trying to decide between PS4 or AS4. Weather is usually good where I live so I'd be fine with a summer only tire, but I want something that's going to last a while.
Wow, prices have dropped. I bought my Indy 500's last summer for $630 installed from Amazon. The PS4's are comparable in price but I'd still buy the Indy 500s. I know a few people who use them, it's an "affordable" track day tire, and I have zero complaints so far.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 03:52 AM   #6
l3ricktop
Rep

So, yesterday i've had finally some time to change my wheels for the summer set. Im using 18" with stock tire dimensions, Michelin Pilot Sport 4... Im always shocked how the car 'come alive' on these, mainly the front axel.
The trouble is that the vibrations had not disappear completely.
Now i got some around 100 - 110 km/h (60-65mph).
I also found that my front tires are getting old. The DOT is 2016
There should be enough tread for this season, but i will probably change them asap.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 04:01 AM   #7
l3ricktop
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
Thanks for tip, since i replaced rear summer tires last year for MPS4 i will most probably go for the same to front axel this time.

I just got to know that PS4s are more suitable for heavier cars...

For the winter set, i will probably go for some cheap option, since those tires are mostly used for standing in the garage
Appreciate 0