E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E92 suspension arm replacements

09-14-2020, 05:29 AM   #1
wfaz
Rep
Drives: E92 M Sport

E92 suspension arm replacements

Hiya
Got an 08 e92, 325d, it just failed the MOT on 6 suspension arm being worn. Offside and nearside rear upper (forward arms), offside and nearside rear upper (rear arms), and offside and nearside front lower (rear/straight arm).
I've got a quote to replace these at about £1000 inc. parts.
I've checked on Euro car parts, I reckon I can get the arms for about £300 with some ludicrous discount code.
The guy swears that 80% of the price is the parts and it's only a mornings work to fit them (which I believe).
What would I expect to pay for this? How can it make sense that I can buy the parts cheaper than a garage - unless I am missing some bushings or similar?
Mileage is 108k - it had no advisories last MOT (7k miles ago). I don't understand how they could go from no advisory to failed dangerously that quickly.
thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 07:00 AM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
I would deffo consider going for a re-test at a BMW Indy who will know the characteristics of BMW multi-link suspension. IMHO very unlikley that 6 arms could all fail in 12 months...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 07:12 AM   #3
wfaz
Rep

thanks a lot. I think a restest is the best way forward too. Will do that and report back. The previous tester said it was a typical 3 series failure after 100k - is there truth to that claim? I can't find much anecdotal evidence to suggest that it's a "common" failure at 100k.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 08:02 AM   #4
4foothill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfaz View Post
thanks a lot. I think a restest is the best way forward too. Will do that and report back. The previous tester said it was a typical 3 series failure after 100k - is there truth to that claim? I can't find much anecdotal evidence to suggest that it's a "common" failure at 100k.
I've just just bought a combo of Meyle HD and TRW M3 control arms for the front for about £210 (plus alignment costs). My fronts have rust on and there's a very recent shaking above 70mph so it's safe to say they have failed (I'm at 100k). Should be a nice drivability upgrade too.

I would be wary buying the cheapest set on eurocrapparts without doing some research. Some of what they sell is garbage or doesn't even fit properly.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 12:39 AM   #5
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

I replaced my whole front end with febi pats for about £250. My car had done 150,000 and most of the old parts felt ok to be honest, good enough for an mot pass I reckon.
I wound get another test elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 04:28 AM   #6
wfaz
Rep

I took it to another guy I know. He is an ex-MOT tester. He said he could feel some slight play but definitely would not have failed it on these. Plus no play in the front ones at all. He suggested a retest so will take it off me and any parts that need replacing then do so. Will report back but it definitely shows the differences between MOT testers!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 09:46 AM   #7
wfaz
Rep

As suspected, it went through the MOT with only one advisory which was nothing to do with the suspension (a shock absorber issue which it had previously failed on also).
4 arms were recommended to be replaced plus the front discs and pads and brake hoses (these were also 'failed' on the last week MOT).
Getting it all done for £550.
Definitely worth getting a second opinion when something doesn't sound right
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2020, 03:24 PM   #8
Sayek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i LCI

A 2008 E92 with 108k miles would be very tired by now. Not all arms would fail but the "Thrust arm" most likely on its way out as they are the weakest link.

You may think the car drives fine but after you replace those 4 shocks and control arms it be a different car.

You can get OEM TRW control arms from Autodoc in Germany. May have to wait 2 weeks for delivery but decent price.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 09:16 AM   #9
DriverLDN
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport E90 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayek View Post
A 2008 E92 with 108k miles would be very tired by now. Not all arms would fail but the "Thrust arm" most likely on its way out as they are the weakest link.

You may think the car drives fine but after you replace those 4 shocks and control arms it be a different car.

You can get OEM TRW control arms from Autodoc in Germany. May have to wait 2 weeks for delivery but decent price.
You're not wrong there. I had a failed rear damper last year so took that opportunity to replace all the dampers, mounts, bumps stops and control arms. When removing the other dampers which weren't leaking, I found they were also pretty much on their last legs and when compress they would stuggle to come back out. I also swapped out my M-Sport springs for the Eibach Pro-Kit. It totally transformed how the car felt. You don't realise how bad its got till its refreshed. My car is E90 330i with 105k on the clock at the the time of changing the parts.
      09-16-2020, 09:46 AM   #10
wfaz
Rep

Sure, you're absolutely right. Gradual degradation makes it harder to tell
Appreciate 0