E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Urgent - Replaced Rear Pads and Discs+Sensor - do I reset Rear Brake on BC menu?

09-16-2020, 05:11 PM   #1
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 PreLCI 330d SE Coupe B.Red

Urgent - Replaced Rear Pads and Discs+Sensor - do I reset Rear Brake on BC menu?

Car Pre LCI 2008 330d E92 SE - has a separate menu for front brakes and rear brakes in the BC menu (using the BC button on the stalk)

Rears brake pads had about 2mm left. There was no Red/Yellow brake warning light before the change as I wanted to change them now rather than waiting for the light to come on.

I have put a new sensor at the rear and new pads + discs. Haven't touched the front as they are all ok atm.

Now, the million dollar question - do I go into the BC menu, go to rear brakes and reset it? Or do I not.

I have heard many stories of people changing the rear pads + sensor and resetting the brake counter before the brake warning light actually comes on and they end up with a 'car on hill or next brake change ---------km/mls) everytime they start the car and requires the sensor to be shorted or something....
See post number 8 in below thread:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618871

Can I simply reset my rear brake indicator in the BC menu to tell it that there is a new sensor and pads and all is good?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 06:51 AM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Well as you've had over 100 views and no-one's offered anyting, I'll venture my five penn'orth. Yes, just go ahead and reset the rear brake on the BC menu. You'll be fine (famous last words). Honestly it worked without issues for me.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2020, 03:28 PM   #3
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Well as you've had over 100 views and no-one's offered anyting, I'll venture my five penn'orth. Yes, just go ahead and reset the rear brake on the BC menu. You'll be fine (famous last words). Honestly it worked without issues for me.
Thank you for your response bud!

Yes, I actually did the above this morning and fingers crossed everything went well and is well so far.

The reset happened perfectly and the Rear brakes has now gone from 13,000 to 41,000 and fronts are still at 30,000.

I will keep my fingers crossed for another week or so until I can fully believe all is ok as I did read that some people had the 'car on lift' and 'red brake light' come on after a couple of days of resetting the light.

Fingers crossed but I am confident that this is the correct method and should be fine. But next time I want to change the pads, I will first wait for the red brake light to come on as that way the system is then asking the driver to replace the pads and sensor.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 06:42 PM   #4
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

If you replaced the sensor, or you're sure the sensor wasn't grazed at all, you can and should reset the brake service light. It's only a numerical mileage value...the yellow or red come when the sensor is breached. Only reason that people get those errors is if the sensor was resused after it had been worn. If you never got to the point that they were worn, you can technically reuse, but for $17 ehhh. Most of those people, IIRC, were able to fix their problem by shorting the sensor.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 02:56 AM   #5
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
If you replaced the sensor, or you're sure the sensor wasn't grazed at all, you can and should reset the brake service light. It's only a numerical mileage value...the yellow or red come when the sensor is breached. Only reason that people get those errors is if the sensor was resused after it had been worn. If you never got to the point that they were worn, you can technically reuse, but for $17 ehhh. Most of those people, IIRC, were able to fix their problem by shorting the sensor.
Yes, the sensor was grazed down to 80-90% roughly, so the 1st stage had definitely been triggered.

If the sensor had more than 50% life then most likely the 1st stage would have not been triggered, but in my case the pads were around 2mm thick hence the sensor was grazed accordingly.
Appreciate 0