E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > BMW N55 e92 GFB DV+ install

03-14-2019, 11:11 PM   #1
Zackman218
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i M-Sport

Post BMW N55 e92 GFB DV+ install

I just finished installing the go fast bits diverter valve+ on my 2011 BMW N55 335i and just wanted to inform those who are thinking about doing this install. first and for most i wanted to list a few tools u will need in order to properly complete this job with out these tools it may make it much harder and even impossible. overall didnt notice much difference at all in sound but it definitely future proofed my car incase the stock one ever breaks from higher boosts from mods ect.
TOOLS:
many long extensions 1/4 and 3/4
2 or maybe ever 3 swivel sockets
a very very long 6-9 inch 7mm and 8mm allen key
a few rachets
external torxs set
8mm socket
11mm socket
Battery charger

Supplies:
coolant
distilled water
rags
oil/coolant pan

possible suggestions
-if u have the money and ur water pump hasn't been replaced recently i might suggest just getting replacement one just because u have to take it out anyways.
-gloves
-if u can get an extra set of hands definitely do
- electric racket or drill/impact driver

Step1: first start off by jacking ur car up preferably decently high but dont go to far because u don't want it to high, i believe we had my jack stands at 2 visible notches. remove the belly pan with 8mm socket and locate the water pump assembly should be passenger side closer to the front of the car by the inlet side of ur intercooler.

Step2: take the negative terminal off ur battery, located in the rear passenger side of ur trunk.

Step3: remove radiator fan by unscrewing a small torx bolt on the top passenger side of the fan and unclipping the clip on driver side middle of the fan by the J pipe(charge pipe). for automatics u may also have the transmission cooler on the bottom of the radiator fan that is held in by one torx screw aswell. after the fan is unscrewed disconnect the wire and pull up slowly and easy it out. this may take some patience but we found it best to have one person on top pulling up and one on bottom pushing up. sidenot be very careful of the coolant line that runs across the top of the fan it sometimes can be brittal and will break easily. (this has happened to me before and it was a complete nightmare).

Step4: remove the 2 11mm bolts holding the thermostat to water pump.

Step5: remove the 3 external torx screws holding the water pump in i believe they were e12s. the first 2 are right there u pretty much cant miss them and the last one is a huge pain ill post a photo to give a basic idea of where it is. watch a n55 water pump diy if need anymore help. some say u dont have to remove water pump which i tried at first but wasted more time with that then just removing the water pump and going from there. do ur self a favor and just remove it!

Step6: disconnect the water pump coolant hoses be ready for coolant to go all over the place XD. after letting it drain remove the pump, i found it best to move it towards the radiator up and out the top of the engine.

Step7(optional) remove the thermostat hoses and remove the thermostat.

Step8: locate the stock diverter valve(looks like a big black box connected to ur turbo, should be right above where the water pump was). Ill post a picture of what it looks like! unscrew all 3 7mm or 8mm allen bolts. i found it best to use a extremely long allen key and went in from the front of the engine. one of us put the allen in the bolt from the bottom and the other from the top grabbed the key and unscrewed it.

Step9: disassemble stock diverter valve and refer to the gfb dv+ instructions for reassembly.

Step10: reinstall the new gfb dv+ into ur turbo. the exact same way u removed them. Be extremely careful here! absolutely be sure those bolts are threading in smoothly and straight, make sure they arnt cross threading. i almost cross threaded 2 of the 3 and that would have been a catastrophic mistake (basically means new turbo XD). be very patient and take ur time making sure those bolts are going in correctly. one thing we did run into which was annoying was that the diverter valve upgraded metal piece kept popping off the stock piece when reinstalling on turbo. if this happens take off the diverter valve snap it back on and try again(this is how i almost cross threaded my threads because i kept attempting to screw it in even after it popped off.

Step11(depends if did step7): reinstall thermostat if removed.

Step12: reinstall waterpump.

Step13: fill car with 50/50 mix of bmw coolant and distilled water.

Step14: reinstall radiator fan.

Step15: reconnect battery.

Step16: connect battery charger

Step17: make sure coolant reservoir cap is open

Step18: turn on car electric turn heat on and crank it all the way to max temp and 1 bar of bowing speed. press and hold throttle pedal to the floor for 10-15 seconds(until u hear loud high pitched noise which is ur water pump turning on). let this run until completing its cycle which takes 10-15 mins. during this process make sure ur coolant is topped off. also check for leaks while this is going on.

Step19: reinstall belly pan.

Step20: start car and enjoy!

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 12:20 AM   #2
webbdylan335
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackman218 View Post
I just finished installing the go fast bits diverter valve+ on my 2011 BMW N55 335i and just wanted to inform those who are thinking about doing this install. first and for most i wanted to list a few tools u will need in order to properly complete this job with out these tools it may make it much harder and even impossible. overall didnt notice much difference at all in sound but it definitely future proofed my car incase the stock one ever breaks from higher boosts from mods ect.
TOOLS:
many long extensions 1/4 and 3/4
2 or maybe ever 3 swivel sockets
a very very long 6-9 inch 7mm and 8mm allen key
a few rachets
external torxs set
8mm socket
11mm socket
Battery charger

Supplies:
coolant
distilled water
rags
oil/coolant pan

possible suggestions
-if u have the money and ur water pump hasn't been replaced recently i might suggest just getting replacement one just because u have to take it out anyways.
-gloves
-if u can get an extra set of hands definitely do
- electric racket or drill/impact driver

Step1: first start off by jacking ur car up preferably decently high but dont go to far because u don't want it to high, i believe we had my jack stands at 2 visible notches. remove the belly pan with 8mm socket and locate the water pump assembly should be passenger side closer to the front of the car by the inlet side of ur intercooler.

Step2: take the negative terminal off ur battery, located in the rear passenger side of ur trunk.

Step3: remove radiator fan by unscrewing a small torx bolt on the top passenger side of the fan and unclipping the clip on driver side middle of the fan by the J pipe(charge pipe). for automatics u may also have the transmission cooler on the bottom of the radiator fan that is held in by one torx screw aswell. after the fan is unscrewed disconnect the wire and pull up slowly and easy it out. this may take some patience but we found it best to have one person on top pulling up and one on bottom pushing up. sidenot be very careful of the coolant line that runs across the top of the fan it sometimes can be brittal and will break easily. (this has happened to me before and it was a complete nightmare).

Step4: remove the 2 11mm bolts holding the thermostat to water pump.

Step5: remove the 3 external torx screws holding the water pump in i believe they were e12s. the first 2 are right there u pretty much cant miss them and the last one is a huge pain ill post a photo to give a basic idea of where it is. watch a n55 water pump diy if need anymore help. some say u dont have to remove water pump which i tried at first but wasted more time with that then just removing the water pump and going from there. do ur self a favor and just remove it!

Step6: disconnect the water pump coolant hoses be ready for coolant to go all over the place XD. after letting it drain remove the pump, i found it best to move it towards the radiator up and out the top of the engine.

Step7(optional) remove the thermostat hoses and remove the thermostat.

Step8: locate the stock diverter valve(looks like a big black box connected to ur turbo, should be right above where the water pump was). Ill post a picture of what it looks like! unscrew all 3 7mm or 8mm allen bolts. i found it best to use a extremely long allen key and went in from the front of the engine. one of us put the allen in the bolt from the bottom and the other from the top grabbed the key and unscrewed it.

Step9: disassemble stock diverter valve and refer to the gfb dv+ instructions for reassembly.

Step10: reinstall the new gfb dv+ into ur turbo. the exact same way u removed them. Be extremely careful here! absolutely be sure those bolts are threading in smoothly and straight, make sure they arnt cross threading. i almost cross threaded 2 of the 3 and that would have been a catastrophic mistake (basically means new turbo XD). be very patient and take ur time making sure those bolts are going in correctly. one thing we did run into which was annoying was that the diverter valve upgraded metal piece kept popping off the stock piece when reinstalling on turbo. if this happens take off the diverter valve snap it back on and try again(this is how i almost cross threaded my threads because i kept attempting to screw it in even after it popped off.

Step11(depends if did step7): reinstall thermostat if removed.

Step12: reinstall waterpump.

Step13: fill car with 50/50 mix of bmw coolant and distilled water.

Step14: reinstall radiator fan.

Step15: reconnect battery.

Step16: connect battery charger

Step17: make sure coolant reservoir cap is open

Step18: turn on car electric turn heat on and crank it all the way to max temp and 1 bar of bowing speed. press and hold throttle pedal to the floor for 10-15 seconds(until u hear loud high pitched noise which is ur water pump turning on). let this run until completing its cycle which takes 10-15 mins. during this process make sure ur coolant is topped off. also check for leaks while this is going on.

Step19: reinstall belly pan.

Step20: start car and enjoy!

Good write up! Glad to have experienced that with you lol
Appreciate 0