E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Europe (Continental) > 335d turbo and exhaust problems Help!

02-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
m.rk77
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

335d turbo and exhaust problems! SOLVED! Pictures

I had some exhaust smell coming in through the vents so I popped the hooded to have a look around the engine.

While looking around I noticed that the smell was very intense around the turbos so I had a closer look with a flashlight and I noticed a lot of oil was leaking out around the turbo.

I took it to the shop and they replaced the turbos.

This was a simple fix but the bigger problem is the exhaust leak around the engine! This is a hazardous and poisonous problem that can be hard to detect and fix...

I will post a picture where I will point out the spots where oil was and is leaking! I cant figure out where the exhaust smell is coming from but I know for sure it is coming from the left side of the engine around the turbos... I don't know why it is not constant, it only smells from time to time, usually at low RPM under 2500.

Also I open the oil cap on the engine and I noticed a lot of white smoke inside the engine. Is that normal in a diesel engine? (this is the first diesel that I ever owned so I am not so familiar with this type of engine)

Last edited by m.rk77; 02-12-2008 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
m.rk77
Second Lieutenant
Rep

here is a picture of the 335d engine with description of the problem areas that I discovered.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2008, 09:39 AM   #3
m.rk77
Second Lieutenant
Rep

This is what the problem was: there is a pipe around the turbos which is responsible for oil return into the engine. Basically oil is pushed out of the engine due to high compression and the powerful turbos, and this pipe is supposed to return the oil into the engine.

This "pipe" was not connected properly and a piece was missing, and therefore oil was slowly but surely leaking into the turbos... From time to time this oil would burn up inside the turbo pipes which is the cause of the bad exhaust smell around the turbo area. (see picture at the top)

If you have this exhaust smell then you should take it to the shop to ensure that this "pipe" is connected properly. If you see any oil around the area then you definitely have this problem.

the turbos on the 335d are very complicated... The turbos are the reason why this engine is so powerful.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
MiniMe335d
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335d M Sport

hi,

i've got a similar problem with my 335d few weeks back ... i've got the same smell comming into my car ... the 335 was very slow ... and the max speed was smth around 70km/h on auto mode and 150km/h on manual

one of the turbos, the big one, was totally off. i took the car to the service and they changed the vacuum valve.

now everything is fine
      01-28-2010, 05:02 AM   #5
Chetuo
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d Coupe

It may happen again. It happened to me 4 times and I sued BMW here in Turkey.

Please read my post here...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...35#post4534635

and here...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=341101&page=2
Appreciate 0