E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Help: Coilovers Installed UPSIDE DOWN!

06-30-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Amir87
Gruppe Titan
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 SG/Coral

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]
Help: Coilovers Installed UPSIDE DOWN!

While changing wheels today noticed that my rear coils are mounted upside down. The collar should be on top, correct?

Can someone confirm these are mounted wrong? BTW there has been no weird sounds, or anything wrong with the ride.

This is my picture:

This is another members:
      06-30-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

Definately installed wrong...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Project Estoril

Garage List
Ya. I hope you didnt do the install. That round black thing above your spring need to be popped off as it isnt used with the coilovers. It's got a nipple that goes into the body of the car. The coilover kit should have one in silver that takes its place
      06-30-2009, 10:17 PM   #4
1clean335i
Vietnam
Rep

Garage List
heres a pic (sorry, camera phone)-
Attached Images

06-30-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
Amir87
Gruppe Titan
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 SG/Coral

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1clean335i View Post
Ya. I hope you didnt do the install. That round black thing above your spring need to be popped off as it isnt used with the coilovers. It's got a nipple that goes into the body of the car. The coilover kit should have one in silver that takes its place
I sent an email to the shop that did the install, waiting to hear from them tomorrow.

Thanks for the quick response!
      06-30-2009, 10:19 PM   #6
1clean335i
Vietnam
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir87 View Post
I sent an email to the shop that did the install, waiting to hear from them tomorrow.

Thanks for the quick response!
No prob. I caught your post just before I was about to goto bed... Feel free to show them the pic I attached above
      06-30-2009, 10:25 PM   #7
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep

Nice detailed pics!!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 11:52 AM   #8
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@SupremePower View Post
Definately installed wrong...
Really? Unless the E9X platform has a completely redesigned rear suspension, and from the pictures it does not look like it, almost all the so-called "coil-over" rear suspensions I've seen for BMWs can be installed one way or another, meaning the spring orientation does not matter, and the ride height adjuster can be installed on the bottom or top. Unless the springs are progressive coils with one end wider than the other (which I've yet to see on the rears of any 3 series), it's impossible to install them upside down.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #9
peopleontheradio
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

just need to get rid of that black top hat above the spring and your good. The silver height adjusted is what should go into the car like the posts above say.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #10
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: THE GUY YOU LOVE TO HATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Really? Unless the E9X platform has a completely redesigned rear suspension, and from the pictures it does not look like it, almost all the so-called "coil-over" rear suspensions I've seen for BMWs can be installed one way or another, meaning the spring orientation does not matter, and the ride height adjuster can be installed on the bottom or top. Unless the springs are progressive coils with one end wider than the other (which I've yet to see on the rears of any 3 series), it's impossible to install them upside down.

the silver adjuster piece has a nipple that sticks into the upper frame of the car, it replaces that black cup in the pic, the bottom (control arm) has an actual spring set meant to seat a spring, so you cant put them either way no matter if the springs are progresive or not, not to mention the adjuster side of the spring itself is perfectly flat, and the bottom is rounded and has the coil (leg) protruding, to lock it into the spring seat.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #11
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep

only brand that i have seen so far that has the adjuster on the bottom is "hr" everything else is all top adjusted
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #12
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexye92 View Post

the silver adjuster piece has a nipple that sticks into the upper frame of the car, it replaces that black cup in the pic, the bottom (control arm) has an actual spring set meant to seat a spring, so you cant put them either way no matter if the springs are progresive or not, not to mention the adjuster side of the spring itself is perfectly flat, and the bottom is rounded and has the coil (leg) protruding, to lock it into the spring seat.
What I am telling you is, there's no functional difference when installed either way. It doesn't matter if the spring height adjuster is installed on the top or the bottom. If that rubber pad with the nipple for the height adjuster to sit in can be removed and installed on the control arm there's no problem installing the height adjuster on the bottom. THERE IS NO WRONG WAY to put in the assembly. I've seen it installed on the top position or the bottom position, depending on how you'd like to be able to make the height adjustment. It makes absolutely NO DIFFERENCE on how the spring system works.

Looks to me like if that cup up top is there to prevent the springs from moving around, and the right face of the adjuster is facing the spring, then it's installed and functioning properly. I've seen hundreds of coil-over set-up and where you install the height adjuster is a personal preference, unless the height adjuster is bolted to the bottom of the control arm like the PSS9 system for the E46 (and even then it was a problem for Bilstein because the bolt protruded and rubbed against the half shaft). Once the car is on the ground, the force and spring tension is all that is needed to keep the springs from moving around on the top and bottom. Unless the height adjuster is put in backwards (which from the picture, it does not appear to be) there's absolutely no harm to have the adjuster in the lower control arm instead of the top.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #13
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
I am with you, the E30/E36/E46 that I have seen and worked on have had the adjustable perch on the bottom? Unless the spring or perch unseats or moves around as it is now, I don't think its the end of the world.

But if you have the time, and the shop is standing by their work (which they should) might as well get it installed as the manufacturer designed them to be. And based on the posts already I guess that is with the perch on top.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #14
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What I am telling you is, there's no functional difference when installed either way. It doesn't matter if the spring height adjuster is installed on the top or the bottom. If that rubber pad with the nipple for the height adjuster to sit in can be removed and installed on the control arm there's no problem installing the height adjuster on the bottom. THERE IS NO WRONG WAY to put in the assembly. I've seen it installed on the top position or the bottom position, depending on how you'd like to be able to make the height adjustment. It makes absolutely NO DIFFERENCE on how the spring system works.

Looks to me like if that cup up top is there to prevent the springs from moving around, and the right face of the adjuster is facing the spring, then it's installed and functioning properly. I've seen hundreds of coil-over set-up and where you install the height adjuster is a personal preference, unless the height adjuster is bolted to the bottom of the control arm like the PSS9 system for the E46 (and even then it was a problem for Bilstein because the bolt protruded and rubbed against the half shaft). Once the car is on the ground, the force and spring tension is all that is needed to keep the springs from moving around on the top and bottom. Unless the height adjuster is put in backwards (which from the picture, it does not appear to be) there's absolutely no harm to have the adjuster in the lower control arm instead of the top.

im not gonna waste time arging with you, this isnt an e-46, this is a e-9x. and i have installed plenty of coilovers on those cars, and it is most certainly installed incorrectly, no question about it. if it was designed to be on the bottom like the hr's system its fine, but fact is fk designed theirs to be on top, and safety to the car and driver is in jeapordy installed like that.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #15
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep

It's designed to be on top!
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #16
1clean335i
Vietnam
Rep

Garage List
If the adjustment perch with the nipple is pointing downward on the control arm, it sits right over the hole in the middle of the spring seat on the control arm. Im sure eventually, that perch will push through the hole and cause another world of problems. But what do I know....

Maybe it can work with other coilover's, but def. not the FK set-up pictured.

The spring also only goes one way. One end is flat which goes with the adjustment side, the other one is angled to go with the oem spring mount.
      07-01-2009, 06:31 PM   #17
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexye92 View Post
im not gonna waste time arging with you, this isnt an e-46, this is a e-9x. and i have installed plenty of coilovers on those cars, and it is most certainly installed incorrectly, no question about it. if it was designed to be on the bottom like the hr's system its fine, but fact is fk designed theirs to be on top, and safety to the car and driver is in jeapordy installed like that.
The E9X rear suspension isn't all that different from the E46, at least not from the perspective of how the springs are mounted. None of the BMW rear suspensions are all that different except for the E39 and the E60 (E39 and E60 rear springs are true coil-overs). Unless they're designed to actually mount and bolt onto something on either the top or bottom, or shaped to mate specifically to the shape of the spring pads, IT DOESN'T MATTER which way they go.

So, if the springs are sitting on the adjuster perch with the right side mated to the flat end of the spring (which from the OP's picture it certainly looks that way), it doesn't matter if the perch is installed on the TOP or the BOTTOM. From the pictures shown and the diagrams on REALOEM there's absolutely no reason for me to believe this particular adjustable spring can't be installed either way. Even if the so-called "nipple" on upper spring pad is suppose to slide into the bottom of the perch, it still doesn't mean that the perch can't be installed on the bottom. Once the suspension is compressed the tension of the springs will hold the perch and adjuster in place.

I'm not here to "argue" with anyone. I'm just letting you know that this is the way it is. MOST of the aftermarket "coil-over" type adjustable rear suspension for ANY 3 series can have the perch installed on top or bottom. It is merely a preference if the manual states otherwise, or a personal preference for ease of height adjustment. And from everything I see in this thread so far there's absolutely NOTHING suggested that would indicate otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #18
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1clean335i View Post
If the adjustment perch with the nipple is pointing downward on the control arm, it sits right over the hole in the middle of the spring seat on the control arm. Im sure eventually, that perch will push through the hole and cause another world of problems. But what do I know....

Maybe it can work with other coilover's, but def. not the FK set-up pictured.

The spring also only goes one way. One end is flat which goes with the adjustment side, the other one is angled to go with the oem spring mount.
If you look at BMW's own diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...63&hg=33&fg=45

As you can see, the spring itself can sit either way. So the so-called "angled" portion of the spring that's suppose to mate to the lower spring pad? Also works with the upper spring pad. And if you look at the OP's first picture? The perch is sitting up-right with the flat part of the spring sitting on the flat part of the adjuster.

Now, if you take a look at BMW's lower control arm:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...30&hg=33&fg=30

If the lower spring perch is present, the height adjuster will sit inside the hole from the lower spring pad, with the lips of the adjuster catching the spring pad which catches the lower control arm. Looking at this picture:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1246418205

It is clear that if the spring perch is installed on the lower control arm with the lower spring pad present it presents absolutely no danger. Now, if we want to talk about the merit/issues with installing the perch on the top vs. bottom, I'm 10X more comfortable with the perch on the control arm than I am with the perch on the top, since it's 10X cheaper to replace a control arm than to repair a cracked chassis if the suspension were to bottom out on a big pothole...Then again the perch on top would make it 10X easier to adjust the ride height since it's more accessible.

There's still no convincing argument as to why this can't be installed on the lower control arm besides it's the manufacturer's recommendation.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #19
flukey
Go big or go home!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Mine were first installed upside down as well. Just get it fixed ASAP. After I indicated to the shop owner it was upside down he fixed the install free of charge.

It didn't seem to hurt anything and I'm still going strong *knock on wood*. Just get them installed correctly as soon as you can and if you can, don't drive the vehicle unless its to the shop.
      07-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #20
iheartsole
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

loks like its was installed wrong shouldnt u see the letters or whatever brand they are
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #21
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

yes, it could be installed "wrong", but what Hack is saying, is that it probably won't hurt anything having it installed that way, because of the way the control arms are designed. The only thing I can't see, is how the adjuster sits in the control arm, which is the only thing I'd be worried about, so you will want to look at that closely. But if it sits flush, and is secure, and not binding/rubbing on the threads, you should be fine until you can get it taken care of.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #22
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep

forget realoem pictures, if you see the part in person, the hole in the lower control arm does not have a suitable flat strong surface to hold the adjuster, i know what you are saying but with these control arms on the e90/92/93 it is not a good place to have the adjuster unless it is like the hr that is shaped to form to the control arm and has the bottom half that screws onto it from the bottom to secure it from wobbling around and eventually wearing out the contol arm hole or causing stress cracks.
Appreciate 0