E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metallic Ticking noise coming from engine?

03-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #243
E90Lurker
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Another One

'06 330i 6MT Sport 10700Km (May '06 build)

Intermittent ticking since about 4000Km (last Aug). Ticking lasts about 15 to 20 min usually. Variable with RPM. You can hear it over the radio.

Brought it in 2 weeks ago while ticking, left the engine running and grabbed the shop foreman. As we were approaching the car about 20 feet away I said "should I pop the hood"? He says in a disgruntled voice "No .. I can hear it from here".

Anyways, I pop the hood he listens while I rev the motor. He mumbles something about lifters and tells me to book an appointment. I ensure a note is on in the work order about the foreman hearing the tick - in case it didn't happen when I brought it in.

Bring the car in. They replace the rear door handles since they were defective (sticking open) - the '07s have a new design apparently. As far as the engine ticking they noted it and seemed to have performed some basic analysis and opened a PuMA case.

I wait another week and call them. Apparently the PuMA is not resolved and a BMW rep wants to see (hear?) the car. Appointment booked 3 weeks from now.

I'm annoyed. I went out of my way to ensure the shop heard the problem. Now I'm supposed to hope that it just happens to occur while this BMW rep is staring at it? What value is he adding? ... oh ya dumb question he's protecting BMW's $.

The service rep at the shop essentially admitted this is a known problem and that they need BMW approval to spend the money.

Anyways I'm still hopeful this will be resolved. I REALLY love the car but I didn't pay $60k for a car that sounds like a 72 VW beetle. If BMW doesn't resolve this in a reasonable manner I will take my money elsewhere ... Lexus comes to mind. I'll be brand loyal when they earn it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 07:32 PM   #244
dot1q
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary328xi View Post
Guys,
This does not look good the ticking is back @3920 miles. I called BMWNA and the problem WILL be investigated since this will be the 4th try and i'm now covered under NJ lemon law. I will update with further info.
Gary,

Is your car make that ticking noise when is cold start? Is it go away after the oil temp goto 230, that is the symptom on my E92 335i, after the car warm up the ticking noise goes away. I'm affraid to bring it in, specially there is no fix for it yeah.
      03-10-2007, 07:37 PM   #245
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot1q View Post
Gary,

Is your car make that ticking noise when is cold start? Is it go away after the oil temp goto 230, that is the symptom on my E92 335i, after the car warm up the ticking noise goes away. I'm affraid to bring it in, specially there is no fix for it yeah.
I believe they regard this as "normal" from the other posts I have read.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #246
flicks28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i; 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3l0n View Post
So you hear it with the hood down? It's not common and I have yet to estimate how long I have waited for it to start or listend to it for how long. I just know that it doesn't happen as much. I think i would notice. (I am hoping I am good)
Oh yeah. It is incredibly loud. When I opened the hood it seemed to be the same since it was deafening either way.

This is the big pain in the a$$ about this problem. You have to have it reproduced at the correct time. I go to the BMW dealership I bought my car since they were really great on the Sales side, but its a 35 mile drive and by the time I get their, the sound would be gone. There's a BMW dealership 15 miles away, but I still might not be able to keep the sound.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 08:23 AM   #247
gary328xi
JetInsp
Rep
Drives: 07 328 XI & 335i

Quote:
Gary,

Yes it makes the noise intermittently when it is cold. The ticking normally last 5 to 10 mins. My car does not have a temp gauge. You should take your car in if you want any resolution for this defect. The more times would be avantageous in your favor especially since you live in NJ.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 08:28 AM   #248
gary328xi
JetInsp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
If this is normal PLZ review automobile mag. Feb 07 pg 108 and the pics posted in the beginning of this thread.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 11:28 AM   #249
E90Lurker
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

BMW Apologists

I don't know why there are so many people willing to assume this issue is normal - as if "the great BMW" can't possibly have a problem like this!

The fact that there is a problem actually doesn't bother me *at all*. Mistakes happen, problems happen, shit happens. What's important is how the issue is dealt with.

We do BMW a disservice if we don't hold their feet to the fire on stuff like this. They have something to learn about quality and service (not to mention electronics). They had better learn quickly because the Japanese are coming for them.

I know members of the "BMW cult" dismiss the Japanese brands. I can guarantee the people in Munich don't. They know that they can't survive selling cars only to BMW "enthusiasts".

I love the car, the engineering, the design. I respect the the brand, and appreciate their participation in motorsport - I'm looking forward to March 18th!!!

We need to keep them "honest".
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 11:31 AM   #250
Placey
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 3.0SI

They're still workign on whats causing this to happen, i have seen one vehicle have lifters replaced, then cams/lifters replaced, and recently a whole head installed, They dont know yet what is causing this problem, i believe that they're close to finding out and once that happens, im sure there will definately be a service action on this issue. The "reps" are actually engineers from BMW that are also helping to find out whats causing this to happen. It's unfortunate that this has happened, but when the cause is found they will make sure any vehicles affected/may be affected will be repaired. Remember the E46 M3 recall, they had recalled all of the early production M3's??? and at one point they recalled several hundred X5's and installed completely new motors.
Once they find out whats wrong, the problem will be resolved and permenantly repaired to all vehicles affected by this.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 12:02 PM   #251
dot1q
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary328xi View Post
Yes it makes the noise intermittently when it is cold. The ticking normally last 5 to 10 mins. My car does not have a temp gauge. You should take your car in if you want any resolution for this defect. The more times would be avantageous in your favor especially since you live in NJ.
Thanks Gary, I'm still debate to bring it in, just kindna bother me there is no fix for it, I don't like them mess around with the engine at all. The CA did acknowledge the 328i and 335i does have this problem, then how come there is no fix for it yeah?
      03-11-2007, 12:04 PM   #252
dot1q
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
I don't think this is normal, the sound is lound and terrible for the new car!
      03-11-2007, 12:09 PM   #253
poiney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

I heard it a couple of times when my engine had only couiple hundred miles, but after that I haven't heard anything
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 12:27 PM   #254
klinkerklu
Respect my Authoritay
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi ED

Garage List
2006 330xi ED  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks Gary, I'm still debate to bring it in, just kindna bother me there is no fix for it, I don't like them mess around with the engine at all. The CA did acknowledge the 328i and 335i does have this problem, then how come there is no fix for it yeah?
Dude, we're on the same page, but you just gotta take it in. You are a few visits yet from them working on the car, and you need to get it documented. Anyway, If they replicate the problem on the first visit , go out and buy a lottery ticket cuz you will be one lucky man.

Trust me, mine is going in tomorrow for the first "real" work. They're opening her up and replacing the lifters, and I'm trying not to think about it bc my stomach acids just start churning. I HATE having a new car worked on when they can't even guarantee a permanent fix.

I was hoping by the time our parts came in they would have an answer to this problem, maybe you will be lucky and they will for yours...
      03-11-2007, 12:52 PM   #255
dot1q
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinkerklu View Post
Dude, we're on the same page, but you just gotta take it in. You are a few visits yet from them working on the car, and you need to get it documented. Anyway, If they replicate the problem on the first visit , go out and buy a lottery ticket cuz you will be one lucky man.

Trust me, mine is going in tomorrow for the first "real" work. They're opening her up and replacing the lifters, and I'm trying not to think about it bc my stomach acids just start churning. I HATE having a new car worked on when they can't even guarantee a permanent fix.

I was hoping by the time our parts came in they would have an answer to this problem, maybe you will be lucky and they will for yours...

I'm thinking, just let it ride for couple thousand miles to see the problem go away. My is not that bad as other in this forum, it make that ticking noise only when the engine cold, after the engine is warm up I can go for the whole day and the sound doesn't come back. It only come back if I leave it overnight and then it start again. Is your ticking noise similar?
      03-11-2007, 01:21 PM   #256
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Automobile April 2007 - Four Season Wrap-up ('06 330i)

"Let's get the bad news out of the way first. The 3.0 liter in-line six in our Four Seasons BMW 330i suffered a major mechanical failure."

The first indication of a problem with our 2006 330i was valve ticking at cold idle. Before long, there was constant valve noise throughout the rev range at all operating temperatures. BMW of Ann Arbor diagnosed worn camshafts, lifters, and rocker arms caused by a lubrication failure in the cylinder head. As a result our car was off the road for five weeks, awaiting further diagnosis and parts from Germany. Luckily the car was still under warranty, but we would have been hyperventilating over a $4300 repair if that weren't the case. We have long admired BMW engines, but we're starting to wonder whether or not some of their cutting edge technology is truly ready for the production line."
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 07:58 PM   #257
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

lol

wow...4,300 reasons not to issue a recall. lol
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 08:02 PM   #258
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
.....ain't that a fact
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 12:00 AM   #259
flicks28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i; 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
The more the reason to get your car in as soon as possible and start documenting it.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #260
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by flicks28 View Post
The more the reason to get your car in as soon as possible and start documenting it.

very true. And to those people that say it's "normal". It isn't. We're not talking hearing a faint ticking. This is a loud tap that in the old days would've meant you needed a serious valve adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 02:23 PM   #261
ecgtplayer
GO325BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325

I heard the sound today, and i my car is around 9600 miles
do you guys think i should take it in for a look?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 04:01 PM   #262
gary328xi
JetInsp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecgtplayer View Post
I heard the sound today, and i my car is around 9600 miles
do you guys think i should take it in for a look?
Read the entire thread and evaluate your situation.............I think you should.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 05:53 PM   #263
borsalino
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Lurker View Post
'06 330i 6MT Sport 10700Km (May '06 build)

Intermittent ticking since about 4000Km (last Aug). Ticking lasts about 15 to 20 min usually. Variable with RPM. You can hear it over the radio.

Brought it in 2 weeks ago while ticking, left the engine running and grabbed the shop foreman. As we were approaching the car about 20 feet away I said "should I pop the hood"? He says in a disgruntled voice "No .. I can hear it from here".

Anyways, I pop the hood he listens while I rev the motor. He mumbles something about lifters and tells me to book an appointment. I ensure a note is on in the work order about the foreman hearing the tick - in case it didn't happen when I brought it in.

Bring the car in. They replace the rear door handles since they were defective (sticking open) - the '07s have a new design apparently. As far as the engine ticking they noted it and seemed to have performed some basic analysis and opened a PuMA case.

I wait another week and call them. Apparently the PuMA is not resolved and a BMW rep wants to see (hear?) the car. Appointment booked 3 weeks from now.

I'm annoyed. I went out of my way to ensure the shop heard the problem. Now I'm supposed to hope that it just happens to occur while this BMW rep is staring at it? What value is he adding? ... oh ya dumb question he's protecting BMW's $.

The service rep at the shop essentially admitted this is a known problem and that they need BMW approval to spend the money.

Anyways I'm still hopeful this will be resolved. I REALLY love the car but I didn't pay $60k for a car that sounds like a 72 VW beetle. If BMW doesn't resolve this in a reasonable manner I will take my money elsewhere ... Lexus comes to mind. I'll be brand loyal when they earn it.
What dealership did you take your car to?
      03-12-2007, 06:05 PM   #264
psychoactive
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe

I have a question, when something like this happens and you take the car to the dealer do you have to pay like thousands of dollars or what? Or is this covered under my 4 years of free maintenance or warranty?

I am a brand brand new baby bimmer owner...
Appreciate 0