E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 'Slippy' hand brake & 'shaky' gear stick

03-31-2008, 05:26 AM   #1
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport auto

'Slippy' hand brake & 'shaky' gear stick

Hi Folks

Just recieved my 318i M Sport - 143 bhp, 2007 version - and noticed a couple of oddities:

1. Gear stick vibrates when car is in neutral. Thought that only happened with diesels.

2. After engaging the hand brake, and then taking my foot off the brake, the car rolls. Sometimes just a bit, sometimes keeps rolling until I hit the foot brake again. Seems to happen less, but still happens, if I pull the hand brake up a few more notches.

Are these normal behaviours?

Cheers
FM
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G15 840i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMellish View Post
Hi Folks

Just received my 318i M Sport - 143 bhp, 2007 version - and noticed a couple of oddities:

1. Gear stick vibrates when car is in neutral. Thought that only happened with diesels.

2. After engaging the hand brake, and then taking my foot off the brake, the car rolls. Sometimes just a bit, sometimes keeps rolling until I hit the foot brake again. Seems to happen less, but still happens, if I pull the hand brake up a few more notches.

Are these normal behaviours?

Cheers
FM

Can speak for a 325i, gear stick no vibration at all but the handbrake is as you say, at times need to make sure pulled up firm, I have tried the method of deglazing handbrake and this works for a while. Drive along at slow speed apply handbrake to bring you to stop only using the handbrake gently this is enough to deglaze the brake and efficiency is better for a while.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 01:49 PM   #3
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Just been for a drive, and paying more to the gear stick, noticed it shakes in any gear, definitely when static, but maybe also when moving, hard to tell.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 01:52 PM   #4
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
shouldnt shake at all not even my car take it in
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 02:26 PM   #5
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbirch View Post
shouldnt shake at all not even my car take it in
Really? So it could be a serious issue? Hope it's not an early indicator of the stuttering/shaking problem many 320i owners have reported? I though that since this 318i has teh new, Efficeint Dynamics' engine i n it it would be free from that?

Take it in? Only just had it delivered on Friday. If there is a serious issue then might it not be better to try and get a refund or exchange?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 02:29 PM   #6
jjbirch
Banned
Rep

Garage List
these 4cl run very smooth not like a digger i dont think its right i dont think a refund the way to go yet maybe something small, ask for them to look at it, ask for a m3 for the day like i did, but i got a 1 series lol
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 06:05 PM   #7
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

The handbrake thing is normal for BMs, I'm not sure exactly how it works but its very like the handbrake on my old old landrover - works on the transmission and after you put it on the car can still move a bit due to the slack in the transmission. Not sure quite how it works on the BM but my E46 did the same as does my E91.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 02:52 AM   #8
julesman
Fembots... Mmmmm
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Soon: E93 335i -SGraph\Jade G

Garage List
Regarding point 2:
I've had 3-series for 11 years and every one of them has had a 'poor' handbrake. My new E93 is no different. You need to make sure it is fully engaged, and you'll notice that the biting point will rise over time too. Normally the car gets serviced and the handbrake is reset before it fails to fully engage. Indeed with my last E46, when getting new tyres at Quickfit they even tightened up the handbrake without asking.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 03:33 AM   #9
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbirch View Post
these 4cl run very smooth not like a digger i dont think its right i dont think a refund the way to go yet maybe something small, ask for them to look at it, ask for a m3 for the day like i did, but i got a 1 series lol
Well, I always thought the 318i models I tried were smooth, but this one sounds more like a diesel. It surely shouldn't be so loud?

And I'm worried that the gear stick shaking is an early sign that the car has got the stuttering problems many 320i owners have experienced. I though that in upgrading the engines late last year, BMW would have eliminated that problem. I am now terrified that the have not.

If I knew my 318i was going to sound like a diesel I would have bought a 320d!

I'm thinking of asking for a refund now rather than later because since I bought the car via a broker, this counts as 'distance selling' and is subject to a 7 day 'cooling off' period.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 11:26 AM   #10
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Question Shaking Gear Stick - Normal or Abnormal?

Having searched the Forum, I have seen posts categorically stating that gear stick shake is totally normal on all E90's, and even on 'all cars'; then again I have seen posts saying gear stick shake is definitely not normal!

Can anyone give a definitive answer?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 11:36 AM   #11
jjbirch
Banned
Rep

Garage List
bring it to the rolling rd meet ill trash it the see if it shakes then
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 03:04 AM   #12
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Well, after 3 days and several emails, I finally got a response from the dealer, who sid that there can be some gear stick "may shake a bit" but there should not be any judder changing gears: "maybe something for your local dealer to have a look at".

But I am highly reluctant to get sucked into the depressing cycle of Dealer Changes Parts, Car Still Juddering, Dealer Changes Parts, Car Still Juddering, Dealer Says Car Fixed, Car Still Juddering...

Do I not have the right to return the car if I find serious problems less than 28 days after receiving the vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #13
babyone
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 118i SE

Re: Do I not have the right to return the car if I find serious problems less than 28 days after receiving the vehicle?

I have a 118i and it has all the issues documented elsewhere on the 320i.

I've spoken to Consumer Direct (http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/ or 08454 04 05 06) who told me that if you have a "defect" then you must give the manufacture one change to fix.

If they fail to do so, the "sale of goods act" kicks in which (in my case) entitles me to a replacement car or my money back if (and only if) they cannot replace the car with an identical one.

They also said sort it out with the dealer by talking to then if you can ...
If this fails then give Consumer Direct a call and they will advice you as to the next step as the process is dependent on how you bought your car and how you paid for it.

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 06:53 AM   #14
dbramley
320d M-Sport
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 320si

Hi,
I have a 320si and have noticed both of these 'features', in fact that's why I'm here now!

The handbrake feels like when you leave your car in gear, and not apply the handbrake, it rolls forward a little until the gearbox prevents it from moving anymore.

I also have the gearstick shake - not sure if it should do that but like you say, some say it should, some say not!