E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Retrofitting CCC to CIC

03-06-2018, 12:04 PM   #67
JamesLennox992
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e28bmw View Post
8.8" Android 4.4 Car Multimedia for BMW Series 3 E90 E91 E92 E93 M3 2006-2012 Bluetooth gps navigation Wifi Germany Ship EW963A
http://s.aliexpress.com/bMz6JvMv?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard
(from AliExpress Android)

That's the unit i bought. I suppose the sound will depend what stereo setup you have already but coming from the base stereo i think its better. There is a couple of settings you can change for audio (bass, mid and treble) and a few pre set equaliser settings but as it's android you can download an equaliser app too to get more settings. I'm still looking to amplify my stereo but i wanted to do that before this screen replacement
Does this one come with DAB???
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 01:34 PM   #68
e28bmw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1987 e28 and 2008 e92 335i msp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLennox992 View Post
Quote:
8.8" Android 4.4 Car Multimedia for BMW Series 3 E90 E91 E92 E93 M3 2006-2012 Bluetooth gps navigation Wifi Germany Ship EW963A
http://s.aliexpress.com/bMz6JvMv?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard
(from AliExpress Android)

That's the unit i bought. I suppose the sound will depend what stereo setup you have already but coming from the base stereo i think its better. There is a couple of settings you can change for audio (bass, mid and treble) and a few pre set equaliser settings but as it's android you can download an equaliser app too to get more settings. I'm still looking to amplify my stereo but i wanted to do that before this screen replacement
Does this one come with DAB???
Not built in but you can install a digital radio app, you'll just need to connect to your phone for data connection then i presume
      03-08-2018, 03:11 PM   #69
HollowmanVIII
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series E92

Still interested in getting one of these Android units.

Anybody Lancashire area fitted one? I think I'd need a hand taking things apart.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 03:17 PM   #70
HollowmanVIII
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

:: double post ::
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 04:26 PM   #71
e28bmw
First Lieutenant
Rep

They really are easy to fit mate. What setup do you have currently? I'm guessing ccc?
      03-08-2018, 04:38 PM   #72
e28bmw
First Lieutenant
Rep

All of this has been removed and put back in place for the video so don't expect it all to just fall apart like the video.
There is a cable connected to the start button that needs to be unplugged once you have the trim with vents out and two cables connected to the buttons for central locking and DTC switch unit. The heating unit pops out really easily and then just pay attention to where the clips are on the back of the head unit facia as that feels like it's going to break before coming off but if you lever it in the right places its fine.
Only other thing you need to take out is the screen which is held in by two torque bolts in the top of the space where the screen fits. If you get your head down by the gearstick and look up you will see them.
I'm happy to give you my number so you can call me or whatsapp me when you're doing it if you get any issues but you should be fine
      03-08-2018, 04:46 PM   #73
HollowmanVIII
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes mate CCC at the moment. To be fair that video does look pretty straight forward, cheers for the info.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 11:34 AM   #74
sheepdin
Rep
Drives: s2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwguy82 View Post
Yes but you will have to use your CCC Menu for that. I use apps for radio now such as TuneIn Radio.

Yes it requires CCC/CIC, this works by using your AUX input and is an additional function to your current system. You retain all functionality of the CCC/CIC and can switch over with a single button.

I paid $469.99 for the system. Yes all features work as this is an additional system your existing CCC/CIC. For the sygic app you do not need internet and for Google Maps you do.

Sorry I never looked into this as I have a Samsung phone. I believe you need an additional Apple CarPlay adapter which they sell.
I have been looking for a retrofit to my CIC (old version, which needs a flash) with combox such that I can have music streaming via bluetooth. After knowing that the flashing process, I decide to give up and look for another solution. This Android system set-up looks really promising!

You mentioned that the system is using the aux-port. Can you elaborate how it works? I do not see any aux or 3.5mm wire running out from the Android system. If possible, I would like to avoid any connection with aux or 3.5mm port. I prefer my CIC system do the DAC job for the music.

My car does not have bluetooth. Does this Android system come with bluetooth?

For the navigation part, if my car has already got its GPS navigation system, do I still need to install the GPS antenna comes with the Android system or it will share the factory antenna with the CIC?

How long does it take to switch from your CCC screen to the Android screen?

Sorry for so many questions~
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 01:39 PM   #75
e28bmw
First Lieutenant
Rep

It uses the aux but it's inline so you don't have a cable going to the aux connection. I haven't tested whether the aux port still works with the android unit connected though so not sure about that.
Yes it has Bluetooth for phonecalls and Bluetooth audio.
I doubt whether the android unit will work for GPS without the GPS antenna connected but it's unobtrusive if you just leave it behind the screen and you don't need to use a GPS splitter to continue to use your existing GPS.
To switch to the android functions you hold the menu button down for 3 seconds and it switches instantly
      03-10-2018, 02:37 PM   #76
HollowmanVIII
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Does the Bluetooth work as normal? No need for extra mics etc
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 08:51 PM   #77
e28bmw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowmanVIII View Post
Does the Bluetooth work as normal? No need for extra mics etc
There is a mic built into the screen which has a small pin hole above the micro SD slot so no mic to connect and feed somewhere but I'm not sure whether this is used for Bluetooth calls or whether it uses the existing mic. I've tested a Bluetooth call with it and was told there was no difference in audio quality to a Bluetooth call with the BMW bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #78
Ash-335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F11 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash-335i View Post
Watching this thread with interest.

Where did you UK guys buy yours from?

Thanks in advance.
Hi All,

I ordered my one from Aliexpress today, thanks e28 bmw for your useful updates in this thread.

I did my research with all the UK sellers and the cheapest way option is to use Aliexpress. I went for the Apple Car Play dongle and reversing camera and it worked out just over £400 with delivery which is cheaper than just a bare unit from the UK sellers on eBay.

I’m looking forward to receiving it and fitting!

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 10:55 AM   #79
HollowmanVIII
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Hi All,

I ordered my one from Aliexpress today, thanks e28 bmw for your useful updates in this thread.

I did my research with all the UK sellers and the cheapest way option is to use Aliexpress. I went for the Apple Car Play dongle and reversing camera and it worked out just over £400 with delivery which is cheaper than just a bare unit from the UK sellers on eBay.

I'm looking forward to receiving it and fitting!

Cheers.
Keep us posted on your thoughts on the unit mate.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 07:00 PM   #80
HollowmanVIII
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Does the unit boot up to CCC screen when turned on after the car has been switched off for a while?!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 03:56 AM   #81
e28bmw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Does the unit boot up to CCC screen when turned on after the car has been switched off for a while?!
It boots to whatever you were using last, either CCC with its boot logo or the android unit with its own boot logo that you can change
      04-17-2018, 04:28 PM   #82
HollowmanVIII
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It boots to whatever you were using last, either CCC with its boot logo or the android unit with its own boot logo that you can change
Awesome, that makes it feel a little more finished the fact it boots all the time if you leave it on that side.

Also do you know if you have an arm rest USB it will automatically continue to work with the avin unit?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 12:33 PM   #83
e28bmw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Awesome, that makes it feel a little more finished the fact it boots all the time if you leave it on that side.

Also do you know if you have an arm rest USB it will automatically continue to work with the avin unit?
I'm not sure on the arm rest USB as I don't have one. I would assume that it will continue to work with your CCC but won't work with the android side
      04-24-2018, 05:51 AM   #84
geltance
Rep
Drives: audi a3

Quote:
I'm not sure on the arm rest USB as I don't have one. I would assume that it will continue to work with your CCC but won't work with the android side
thank you for all of your replies

adding this to the things to do next time i get paid.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 06:54 PM   #85
Yam_440i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White BMW 335i convertible

Thanks everyone for your input.

I have decided I will definitely be going for one of these.

How is the quality of the audio?

Is anyone in London willing to fit this for some cash?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 08:56 AM   #86
Yam_440i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White BMW 335i convertible

Does anyone know if the software can be updated?

I mean Android is currently on version 8 on mobile devices, and this is only version 4 so really quite old firmware.

Those of you who have it, can it be updated?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 01:09 PM   #87
HollowmanVIII
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Hi All,

I’m looking forward to receiving it and fitting!

Cheers.
Did you get your unit?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 03:30 PM   #88
silver145
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Hi Hollow, really appreciate the info you provided. Quick question for you: What is the audio quality like? Does this output the audio via the AUX connection? (as i believe thats a Lo-Fi source port really isnt it?) Hopefully you can clarify this for me as i am looking for an upgrade for the CCC and speakers, but dont want to get this if the sound quality is just as bad or worse going via the aux.

Thanks
Appreciate 0