E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > I am in progress of changing Valve Cover and made a oopsie

11-28-2023, 09:54 AM   #23
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
I don't know all the details of N51 warranty, but it can work out well if you meet all the conditions of residency/registration.

It can also be an expensive PIA for parts that aren't covered or when the warranty expires.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 10:49 AM   #24
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

FCP has lifetime replacement policy (recently updated, I do not know the details), therefore that is good because the plastic cover will crack again.

Your Elring cover comes with gaskets. Unless you want to replace that new set with a genuine BMW one, there is no need to order the gasket set.

BTW, I replaced the VC, 3-way pipe, DISA valves, alternator regulator, starter, vacuum pump gasket all at the same time (because of a slow cranking factory Bosch starter). And the intake manifold was removed.

In your case, the 3-way pipe connectors on the intake manifold are accessed by removing the alternator. Therefore if you replace that pipe, remember the 4 new aluminum (one-time use) bolts for the alternator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchout-everyone View Post
Thank you very much and I will be replacing this one as well. The ones i purchased already were just these two and i thought it was enough lol.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...11127582245kt2

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ng-11127552281
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2023, 11:50 AM   #25
watchout-everyone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Garage List
2011   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainbearing View Post
FCP has lifetime replacement policy (recently updated, I do not know the details), therefore that is good because the plastic cover will crack again.

Your Elring cover comes with gaskets. Unless you want to replace that new set with a genuine BMW one, there is no need to order the gasket set.

BTW, I replaced the VC, 3-way pipe, DISA valves, alternator regulator, starter, vacuum pump gasket all at the same time (because of a slow cranking factory Bosch starter). And the intake manifold was removed.

In your case, the 3-way pipe connectors on the intake manifold are accessed by removing the alternator. Therefore if you replace that pipe, remember the 4 new aluminum (one-time use) bolts for the alternator.
Thank you very much for sharing. My mistake on ordering another gasket set because I knew buying a new oil pan required me to buy the gasket and bolt separately so i just assume for the same mfw (I think i will return/sell it cheap on ebay considering gasket is also covered by warranty).

Thank you very much for mentioning about changing the other items because i honestly didn't know about most of them or even existance of it. I will research them and take appropriate actions. My original plan was to change few coolant hoses (including mickey mouse one due to leaks), valve cover + gasket, coolant tank, serpentine belt + tensioner + pulley, and OFHG (OFHG is finished )
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2023, 01:38 AM   #26
watchout-everyone
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainbearing View Post

My friend I feel like i just saved the world because look at this!

View post on imgur.com

Pulley and tensioner shipment are delayed so i am still waiting but ohy goddness. Putting the valve cover back was very frustrating . and almost didn't notice the left side of gasket was loosen at first and almost screwed everything back in. Can't wait to get all done and power wash this bad boy
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2023, 11:16 AM   #27
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So far so good. Looks like that brake fluid could use flushing.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2023, 11:39 PM   #28
chris55552
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW x3 35i

dont feel bad Im learning to be a DIYer, and I swear every project I attempt, I add several more objectives from making mistakes or tearing something up and no matter what I take apart and put back together there are always leftover parts....LOL not good.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2023, 12:20 AM   #29
watchout-everyone
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris55552 View Post
dont feel bad Im learning to be a DIYer, and I swear every project I attempt, I add several more objectives from making mistakes or tearing something up and no matter what I take apart and put back together there are always leftover parts....LOL not good.
lol omg i am in the same exact situation. I am just lucky that i don't have to drive this car for awhile else i would have been greatly frustrated.

Putting back the valve cover and changing few coolant hoses were the most annoying DIY i've done so far. Now, my next goal is to jump to changing Oil Pan gasket with Engine Mount but it looks veryyyy challenging.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2023, 12:48 AM   #30
chris55552
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW x3 35i

And make no mistake about it you need to be brave to attempt these things especially when you lack experience and confidence...Thank god foy you tubers out there helping us dummies, I swear they could rename that site to something like DIY Dummy Tube.com and people would appreciate that knowing there on the right site and on the right track. ESPECIALLY for BMW owners, if it wasnt for youtube im not sure I could keep a BMW running so for anyone who has ever posted how tos on there for anything, I salute and thank you. Good Luck
Appreciate 2
      12-01-2023, 01:45 AM   #31
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchout-everyone View Post
lol omg i am in the same exact situation. I am just lucky that i don't have to drive this car for awhile else i would have been greatly frustrated.

Putting back the valve cover and changing few coolant hoses were the most annoying DIY i've done so far. Now, my next goal is to jump to changing Oil Pan gasket with Engine Mount but it looks veryyyy challenging.

The oil pan gasket isn't thaaaat bad as long as you have time and a good work space. Just be very intentional about all the steps. Be glad you don't have an X drive... the job looks miserable on one of those!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 11:26 AM   #32
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

When I was on my back replacing the oil pan gasket I was very willing to pay a shop $1k to do it (then street price, I think it is about $1.5k now?) However, afterwards it felt like a good learning experience and I will be much faster if I have to tear into it again for other things. It was a job done with care and you will gain more confidence in taking on more complex jobs.

I think the oil pan parts themselves (pan gasket, oil level sensor seal, new pan bolt set, RTV) were about $50.

If the subframe is dropped, I would change the engine mounts at the same time. Also replace the engine mount bracket bolts on both sides because the weak aluminum bolts are likely to fail after several years per CRP video I linked in the forum Oil Pan DIY.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2023, 12:32 PM   #33
Bims328i
DIYer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i E90 SULEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris55552 View Post
Get a clear top tackle box and dry erase or permanent marker. Or use sandwich bags and label the batches of fasteners to appropriate area. Putting it back together is then much easier, nothing should be left over.
Appreciate 1