E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > New to the diesel work HELP!

09-13-2018, 09:52 PM   #23
Cruiser124
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
If it’s BPC tunes some of their tunes require tanks to be plugged in. Unplug and you get a silent countdown from 999mi to zero. Then no start.

For the heater code, check little plug in front of the airbox. It clips to the front. Or the actual heater connection by the filler neck. I would post a pic but can’t from the phone. May be join our Diesel FB Group called NBDOG. Easier to share pics but impossible to search anything.
On a stock car how would you know when to refill DEF? When I insert the key I do not see an icon on the dash that would relate to low fluid or glow plug for that matter. Also when you say a silent countdown are you meaning the car may go into a no start condition after xxx miles because the computer senses emissions won't be met due to lack of DEF. I assume low fluid or unplugging wouldn't cause an adverse affect to the engine itself?

Also I did check the plug as someone pictured below and mine is connected. I disconnected then connected, light still on.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 09:53 PM   #24
Cruiser124
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
I believe that this is the connection Yozh is talking about by the airbox:
My connector was tucked away under the intake tube, but it was there and plugged in. Guess I need to look elsewhere?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 09:54 PM   #25
Cruiser124
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
Quote:
I believe that this is the connection Yozh is talking about by the airbox:
There are actually 3 connections for the heater. Top and bottom than this pictured one.
I may need to look below. Top was plugged in.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 09:59 PM   #26
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser124 View Post
Man the emissions system really seems overly complicated on these diesels. I watched a couple videos today to get a better understanding of how the systems work together, and basically the DPF is filtering the soot and the SCR is reducing the NOx as a result of the DPF?

I peaked under my car today and noticed the central looking muffler (SCR or DPF?) appears to have been opened up and welded back together, to gut the internals?
What do you mean by central looking muffler? The DPF is located directly behind the turbos. The only portion of the DPF youd be able to see (from underneath) is where it comes down to meet with the exhaust. And thats assuming you have the undertray off. The SCR is located under the trunk, but its all covered in heat shielding so you wouldnt be able to see it unless you first removed the exhaust and then the shielding. Is it possible you saw the cut marks on the mufflers directly behind the rear bumper?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 10:05 PM   #27
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
On a stock car how would you know when to refill DEF? When I insert the key I do not see an icon on the dash that would relate to low fluid or glow plug for that matter. Also when you say a silent countdown are you meaning the car may go into a no start condition after xxx miles because the computer senses emissions won't be met due to lack of DEF. I assume low fluid or unplugging wouldn't cause an adverse affect to the engine itself?

Also I did check the plug as someone pictured below and mine is connected. I disconnected then connected, light still on.
Typically when the SCR gets low on fluid you get a message with a countdown. Im not sure what conditions lead to a silent count down though. Maybe Yozh can chime in a little later.

Low fluid or unplugging shouldnt cause issues to the engine but might reduce the lifespan of the DPF. You also probably have a check engine light (SES in BMW's) though since these are critical emissions components.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 10:12 PM   #28
Cruiser124
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Man the emissions system really seems overly complicated on these diesels. I watched a couple videos today to get a better understanding of how the systems work together, and basically the DPF is filtering the soot and the SCR is reducing the NOx as a result of the DPF?

I peaked under my car today and noticed the central looking muffler (SCR or DPF?) appears to have been opened up and welded back together, to gut the internals?
What do you mean by central looking muffler? The DPF is located directly behind the turbos. The only portion of the DPF youd be able to see (from underneath) is where it comes down to meet with the exhaust. And thats assuming you have the undertray off. The SCR is located under the trunk, but its all covered in heat shielding so you wouldnt be able to see it unless you first removed the exhaust and then the shielding. Is it possible you saw the cut marks on the mufflers directly behind the rear bumper?
Hmm I was looking mid car at the B pillar. I wasn't super thorough but it looked like a small rectangular muffler or resonator I guess. Car was on the ground, but I'll try to snap some pics tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 10:18 PM   #29
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hmm I was looking mid car at the B pillar. I wasn't super thorough but it looked like a small rectangular muffler or resonator I guess. Car was on the ground, but I'll try to snap some pics tomorrow.
Hmm, that sounds like the resonator. Not sure why someone would cut that up (enhanced noise maybe??).

Also, I'd look into getting a replacement cover for down there if yours is missing it. It helps protect some of the components down there and they tend to help with cleaner air flow under the car (sometimes they are designed to decrease temps as well).
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 10:26 PM   #30
Cruiser124
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hmm, that sounds like the resonator. Not sure why someone would cut that up (enhanced noise maybe??).

Also, I'd look into getting a replacement cover for down there if yours is missing it. It helps protect some of the components down there and they tend to help with cleaner air flow under the car (sometimes they are designed to decrease temps as well).
Yeah maybe Noise I don't know lol but it just sounds amazing.. I buy and sell cars so typically everything is for sale, but I don't know about this one.

I have yet to find another 335D locally to compare its value so I don't know exactly what it's worth, but with the mods cosmetically and mechanically, sports package, and I Drive I'd think around 10k?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 10:32 PM   #31
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah maybe Noise I don't know lol but it just sounds amazing.. I buy and sell cars so typically everything is for sale, but I don't know about this one.

I have yet to find another 335D locally to compare its value so I don't know exactly what it's worth, but with the mods cosmetically and mechanically, sports package, and I Drive I'd think around 10k?
Not sure of the mods increase its value (unless you're selling it to another enthusiast and they are aware of their benefits). I've seen a few 335D's in my area for sale recently and they were in the 8-10k range. Obviously mileage and condition will play a role in the price as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 10:37 PM   #32
Cruiser124
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not sure of the mods increase its value (unless you're selling it to another enthusiast and they are aware of their benefits). I've seen a few 335D's in my area for sale recently and they were in the 8-10k range. Obviously mileage and condition will play a role in the price as well.
Very true. I do think this car will be best suited for an enthusiast who can appreciate it. In the meantime I plan to enjoy, and learn all about it!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 11:39 AM   #33
ranthum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Looking to Buy

Quote:

It was the SCR that was gutted. If you delete dpf and don't gut (or remove) SCR it will plug and cause issues. If I were you I would email your VIN to JR, BPC, Malone, and Dudmd. They should be able to tell you if they tuned it or not and what tune it's running.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #34
Cruiser124
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranthum View Post
Quote:

It was the SCR that was gutted. If you delete dpf and don't gut (or remove) SCR it will plug and cause issues. If I were you I would email your VIN to JR, BPC, Malone, and Dudmd. They should be able to tell you if they tuned it or not and what tune it's running.
Got it, that makes sense! I will have to start E-mailing around. I would love to know where this car is at. Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #35
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I agree that it logically makes sense that the DPF was gutted, but its hardly visible when the car is on the ground or simply on jack stands.

OP, if you're able to get a shot of it, post it here and we'll tell you without a doubt exactly what you saw.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 01:51 AM   #36
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Quote:

Why do you think you can buy it cheap and flip it for 10k? You know literally almost nothing about it; how it works/was supposed to work, or what has even been done to it. Emissions deletion does not increase the value on these cars, and makes it illegal in all states except for offroad use. Most buyers for these cars are relatively knowledgeable at this point (everyone else looks away after googling 335d reliability), and a short ownership/flip is normally about the biggest red flag to me when car buying and an immediate loss of interest, though looks like youre a dealer.
To buy that car with about 115k for under 7k total is a reasonable start, but your financial liability is way more than what you can sell it for. 10k is definitely in the Sale neighborhood for a legitimate car, but how are you going to convince anyone that its all good?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 08:03 AM   #37
Cruiser124
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineX View Post
Quote:

Why do you think you can buy it cheap and flip it for 10k? You know literally almost nothing about it; how it works/was supposed to work, or what has even been done to it. Emissions deletion does not increase the value on these cars, and makes it illegal in all states except for offroad use. Most buyers for these cars are relatively knowledgeable at this point (everyone else looks away after googling 335d reliability), and a short ownership/flip is normally about the biggest red flag to me when car buying and an immediate loss of interest, though looks like youre a dealer.
To buy that car with about 115k for under 7k total is a reasonable start, but your financial liability is way more than what you can sell it for. 10k is definitely in the Sale neighborhood for a legitimate car, but how are you going to convince anyone that its all good?
My knowledge about a specific car has nothing to do with its value and what I can sell it for. As a dealer my mechanical ability to work on car is what allows me to make purchases that may seem "risky".. at 5500 for this car I was more than confident in its ability. Does it run good, yup.. does it shift good, yup. Does it steer/ brake straight, yup. Does it leak fluids, nope. All the electronics work, yup. Clearly you have no idea how the car business works, or probably how to inspect a car for that matter. No risk no reward bud. Go buy a car from any small dealer, I'd bet 90% of them drive their cars straight to their lot without touching a thing. Me on the other hand, I drive my cars, I inspect my cars, I know how to work on my cars, and oh, I'm a euro enthusiast. My cars sell themselves and this one will be no different, but that's after I enjoy it for a few thousand miles. Hope that isn't a red flag for you

Oh and here in MN emissions isn't a thing.. hah. Please don't tell the EPA.. I'm sorry lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 08:04 AM   #38
Cruiser124
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree that it logically makes sense that the DPF was gutted, but its hardly visible when the car is on the ground or simply on jack stands.

OP, if you're able to get a shot of it, post it here and we'll tell you without a doubt exactly what you saw.
I appreciate it! I'm hoping to have it in the air tomorrow, will definitely post pics. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 10:37 AM   #39
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Quote:
My knowledge about a specific car has nothing to do with its value and what I can sell it for.
That can be an expensive statement in the niche market auto world.
Quote:
As a dealer my mechanical ability to work on car is what allows me to make purchases that may seem "risky".. at 5500[shows $6k (plus fees) and graded just over average for cosmetic condition, mechanical not graded] for this car I was more than confident in its ability. Does it run good, yup.. does it shift good, yup. Does it steer/ brake straight, yup. Does it leak fluids, nope. All the electronics work, yup.
I guess that means it is ready to roll!
Quote:
Clearly you have no idea how the car business works, or probably how to inspect a car for that matter.
There are LOTS of ways the car business works. Your way is one way. As far as your risk reward thought; 335d overall is a high risk low reward car. Since you think I don't know how to qualify/inspect cars, maybe you can give us all more pointers.
Quote:
No risk no reward bud. Go buy a car from any small dealer, I'd bet 90% of them drive their cars straight to their lot without touching a thing. Me on the other hand, I drive my cars, I inspect my cars, I know how to work on my cars, and oh, I'm a euro enthusiast. My cars sell themselves and this one will be no different, but that's after I enjoy it for a few thousand miles. Hope that isn't a red flag for you
Quote:
The bearing was a little noisy prior to failure, but I think it finally seized. This happened no more than an hour after I sold the car.. needless to say the buyer was lucky enough and I took the car back
That buyer was lucky, you're right.

GLWS. Im not saying it won't go well for you, just that your risk factor is greater than you think. Also the buyer pool is smaller than you think comprised of a high percentage of people that know the car better than you. That's a disadvantage. Sport package definitely a must if you are trying to appeal to the most people, Msport being rare and getting harder to find.

Last edited by AlpineX; 09-15-2018 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 10:43 AM   #40
ranthum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Looking to Buy

I might have somebody interested in buying it. PM me.
Appreciate 1