E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > BLUETOOTH RETROFIT INSTALLATION MANUAL (PDF)

02-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #67
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughluck View Post
I think I read somewhere that voice activation only works for vehicles that have I-drive too, so it may not matter for some owners.

Worked in the non-I-drive '07 328i loaner I had last weekend.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2007, 11:14 PM   #68
toughluck
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Worked in the non-I-drive '07 328i loaner I had last weekend.

SCA, thanks for the input. Well, I guess setting the language is fairly important for all owners. Perhaps if RoverActive and Bimmernav address this common concern and maybe include step by step instructions on how re-program the ULF, more customers will be interested in their product.

Unfortunately, because I just learned that voice activation now works for non I-drive cars, I am even more interested in the bluetooth retrofit kits.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2007, 08:06 PM   #69
cookrx7
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 335i and E70 LCI X5

MULF Part #

In response to the request, I am posting the part number for the MULF module I purchased from Bimmernav...

BMW - 84.21 9-123290-01
MULF MODULE VP6KAF-14B409-DD
HW. Rev. : 14.03.00
SW. Rev. : 08.01.10

I am actually returning this MULF back to him for a refund because I was not able to get the voice recognition changed into English from German (although if I spoke German it would work great). My dealership is convinced that the part is not "compatible" in some way because they have tried programming the car with the codes that Bimmernav supplied me but the unit will just not talk English. Other than the voice recognition the system works great but the Voice recognition is extremely important to me (truly hands free).

Martin @ Bimmernav has agreed to refund my money minus a 20% restocking fee and he still insists that it can be reprogrammed into English but I've already invested $150 with the dealership and they even refuse to work on it anymore. I'll be sending the unit back this weekend. See my previous post for what I've already gone through.

It is important to note that the E90 series requires the MULF and not ULF that works in the older E46, etc... vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 09:55 AM   #70
basti313
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 320d 04.05

Can't Bimmernav get the module programmed in English? He just has to put it in an E90 eqiped with Bluetooth and get it reprogrammed. You can pay the bill, go to your dealer, tell him he is an idiot and that you want your money back...
He can tell much but if he can't prove that it can be reprogrammed the 20% restocking fee is not fair.
      02-25-2007, 10:34 AM   #71
cookrx7
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 335i and E70 LCI X5

Good point. I brought this up with Martin at Bimmernav and he said that it would have to be reprogrammed with the car. I was thinking that it was the MULF itself that stored it's language setting but Bimmernav says otherwise. I asked if we could swap out the MULF with another unit that he KNOWS works in english and he acted like it would not make a difference so I'm cutting my losses (shipping $ as well) and just sending it back. If I find out later that the MULF itself does not work in English I might have an argument but for now it might be a possibility that it is the dealer's fault. The 20% refund charge is a bit of a shot in the ass on top of all this I agree.

THE PROBLEM IS THAT I HAVE NOT HEARD FROM *ANY* E90 OWNER THAT SAYS THEY HAVE PURCHASED A MULF THAT WORKS IN ENGLISH. This would lead me to believe that the dealership is correct in saying that the module is not compatible. There is not one review or statement from any buyer or owner that Bimmernav has supplied or one that I have found on the internet that says the MULF will work in english.

LET THE BUYER BEWARE
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 03:24 PM   #72
robray
Rep
Drives: 325i

cookrx7, I think Keith is the only guy that might have a kit working in english...

Check out this post...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=10

This post leads me to believe his kit works in english...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...72&postcount=7

I sent him a PM, but no response yet.

If he ever responds to me I will let you know. I asked for the part number of the MULF and name/number of his dealer in South Africa. If he gets back to me, I plan on calling them and see if they can guide my dealership through the install process. This may not help my dealership in the end, but it is worth a shot.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #73
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Hey hicucr,

here is the photo of the rear seat cushion where the slips are that you need to pull up to remove the seat. GL

I post this here b/c for those doing the retrofit yourself, it appears that you will need to remove the seat.
Attached Images

03-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #74
jonm42
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: too fast for conditions.

+1 -- any luck with getting this to work in english?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #75
MonacoBimm
Banned
Panama
Rep
Drives: Sapp. Black 330i(2nd e90)

My car doesnt have I drive, and I dont have the Preparation or prewiring for Bluetooth. What do I need to have it? Can someone please help me. In spanish language.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 10:00 PM   #76
calvino
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: had e90, 330i mystic blue

Garage List
2006 e90 330i  [0.00]
hey guys I got a loaner with Bluetooth and I have to say I regret so much being cheap and not choosing this option on my car. I have a nuvi with bluetooth but is not the same this thing is great, especially the BMW assist. is great calling them to ask any stupid questions.

I was lost today, and I press the "info" and ask BMW how to get to i75 and they gave me directions, awsome, I'm going to miss the feature when I get my car back
      02-20-2008, 06:33 AM   #77
roders
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0D MSport F25

Hi all,

Is the english language issue only with E90's?
Does anyone know if there are language issues with other cars such as 2004 X3's?

Thanks
Rod
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 08:25 PM   #78
0asis
Senior Officer In Charge.
Canada
Rep
Drives: G30 540i / Past: F10,E92, E46

hi guys, i have an e92 with idrive.. would i only need the bluetooth module and maybe the BT antenna?

http://store01.prostores.com/servlet...uetooth/Detail
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 09:12 PM   #79
roders
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0D MSport F25

Hi all...
No problems with lanuage on the X3. Just installed a kit and works 100%.
With e92's no pairing button is required as it's done from within the iDrive.
You will need to check if your E92 is pre-wired for bluetooth as you will need to connect, ULF, Antenna and Microphone.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 11:10 PM   #80
arorts
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe Red - Nav - Step.

Dealer in NorCal

Hi guys:

Is there any dealer in Northern California or any professional in the area that can install TCU and code for me?

I have Idrive and iPod but no Assist. I just want bluetooth. It's a 2008 328i Coupe.

I'm having trouble getting a dealer do this. Last time I gave them the part number of the ULF and they said that since it's not a US supported part they can't install.

Thanks so much for your help.
-Ed
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 06:17 PM   #81
web1b
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arorts View Post
Hi guys:

Is there any dealer in Northern California or any professional in the area that can install TCU and code for me?

I have Idrive and iPod but no Assist. I just want bluetooth. It's a 2008 328i Coupe.

I'm having trouble getting a dealer do this. Last time I gave them the part number of the ULF and they said that since it's not a US supported part they can't install.

Thanks so much for your help.
-Ed

So what ever happened?
Is anyone having success with bluetooth-only install and English bluetooth commands?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #82
chillbob
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i E90

Hi all,

I am trying to do the DIY and when I remove the backseat, I dont see the two T20 or T25 nuts I need to remove in order to take off the backrest...all I see is a black covering in between the seatbelt clips.. could some one pls post pics on how to remove the backrest or to reach the nuts..

Thank you
Bobby
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 06:27 PM   #83
Wittmann
Germany
Rep
Drives: 3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by basti313 View Post
Can't Bimmernav get the module programmed in English?
I don't think that a simple coding will do, since you also need the proper grammar files for the given language. Reflashing the unit with an english firmware should solve the problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #84
Wittmann
Germany
Rep
Drives: 3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by arorts View Post
That's correct. Officially, when a control unit is not allowed inside of a vehicle with a US typekey, they can't install.

You might find professionals who install and code the unit for you the unofficial way, however this will result in a car which cannot be updated anymore. This will also piss off the guys at the BMW service, because for their diagnostic testers, this will be a non-existing configuration. They also won't be able to help you when you have any electronics issues.

I'd recommend buying a US TCU 1.5.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 06:24 AM   #85
MikF
Registered
Rep
Drives: 318d Touring 2.0d SE SI

Found this thread, and the accompanying PDF's are very helpful.
Specifically looking at "E90 Bluetooth Retrofit - with Preparation.pdf" which matches the iDrive / 609 Navigation System Professional I have, I'm wondering what parts I actually need....
Since my phone (Nokia N95 8GB) doesn't have a matching Eject Box and Trim I have no need for these parts, but does this mean I can simply skip the installation for these and the Handsfree will work without them, or would I have to install and have it redundant?

So, from the kit contents I think I only NEED to fit:
Legend
A Bluetooth aerial
B Hands-free microphone
C Universal charger/hands-free electronic control module (ULF)
D ULF holder
K Rear axle differential heat insulation

I have the iPod kit and I'm not convinced that I have the space in the armrest for both, and I'm not giving up the iPod!!!

Push comes to shove I'll stick with the earpiece I currently use

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 04:23 PM   #86
sonishere
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Convertible

Has the aftermarket bluetooth been figured out yet? Please provide me a link if it has. This discussion was very involved, but did not come up with the solution yet. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #87
mgruber
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i

I am trying to do this install, but I can't figure out how to remove the roof control center in order to install the microphone. Can someone help? Also can someone explain where the compensator mounts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by basti313 View Post
Now, that I have done the retrofit I can report to you how it worked:
My car was prewired. So everything was Plug & Play.
In the trunk I only had to connect the 3 wires. No problem. Watch out, that you buy the right nuts for the bracket. My dealer gave me wrong ones.

Installing the BT antenna is also very simple. Open the three screws under the steering wheel and open the compartment. Now you can clip in the antenna and connect it to the wire.

Installing the mic is a bit more difficult, because you have to remove the roof control center. I used a very small screwdriver to clip it out. But there are several ways described in the forum. Removing the blind plate is a bit difficult but with two very small screwdrifers you can clip it out and lift it.

Now the most difficult part: The rear backrest...
First remove the backseats. You just have to pull it up and it clips out.
Under the armrest there are two big T20 or T25 screws. You need a big tool or much armpower to remove them. But be carefull!!!
Then you have to go into the trunk. There are two holes, the emergence exit . Put in a screwdriver and turn the little plate till the backrest jumps out.
Now you have to take it out. Don't try to pull it towards the front seats and work with the backrest still in the car.
On the right side there are the Most-Bus connectors. Just follow the green cables. Remove them and try to clip the covers out. They are very hard to seperate. I broke both of them so better buy two new ones at your dealer...
Now you just have to disconnect one wire of each connector and put it into the other connector. Use a small screwdriver for that.
Now why you had to remove the backrest completely: Clean the holes for the screws. They are fitted into the holes with some sort of glue. You have to remove it completely.
Then put in the backrest and clip it into the "emergency exit". Now put in the screws. But be careful! I destroyed one of the threads...the screws are very hard and the threads are very soft. But it also works with one screw in place

Now you have to go to your dealer and reprogram the retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 08:33 AM   #88
shalan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i E90

Need Help - My Bluetooth was up and running now the tel. menu would not initaite - on menu it shows up as tel, BC & Config but telephone menu is not accessible could someone help
Appreciate 0