E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > 2013 Map updates - USB Stick

05-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #639
tigerdim
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I left it for 10 mins. Now even the DVD isn't recognized. I really hope the firmware will save me.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #640
Zoo Tv
Washed Weekly
United_States
Rep
Drives: MTA Subway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid Moment View Post
Did you leave the USB stick in the glove box USB for a while, like couple of minutes? It takes a while before the system will prompt you for FCC code and let you know that newer maps have been found.
I can add to this that I did the USB update via USB in the glovebox, prompted for FSC code which it accepted - then did the update. But I like tigerdim, I also got the 'Starting Navigation System' message. I did brick my CIC (despite being told by sellers that all LCI cars with CIC post Sep-08 build are ok. They are in fact, not ok.

I am tired of these sellers telling everyone that "I have sold many many updates - no problem." This is rubbish. It will not work for all cars (I can only be certain that the issues I have seen relate to LCI's built prior to September 2009). Fact is - I required a replacement CIC - and where do the sellers of these map downloads and FSC's run to when you advise them the Nav System now doesn't work?? They blame the car and/or user. It is impossible to get the update process wrong if you get to the 'enter FSC code' input. So, it is not user.

If it is the car (that may require firmware update if LCI prior to Sep-09 build date) - then inform the buyer BEFORE you sell them the FSC and maps, rather than tell people everything will be ok.

I am sorry, I have sat by watching everyone update their maps with success and am genuinely happy for those owners. But the sellers are continually not advising of the caution which must be showed - and there are now owners popping up that are damaging their CIC's.

Buyer beware. Its a shame really. If the sellers did their research prior (rather than just assuming all LCI's would be ok) and advised of the potential issues, I'd too be appreciative. Fact is they are taking easy cash (whilst to my knowledge not sponsoring) and not providing/aware of the the full implications of what they are proposing.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 01:40 AM   #641
tigerdim
Hong Kong
Rep

I uploaded the map via DVD because this is what another user with same map as me did on a 2011 X6. (the user was recommended to me by the FSC code seller.) The map was provided by the FSC code seller.

I dont know yet if the CIC is bricked or not, I should know today.

What annoys me is what ZooTV says. I was never warned I needed to update the firmware. And all over internet you read posts from the FSC sellers "all problems can be solved.. dealers have never had to be called."
Yet after searching a little I discover I am not the only person with the problem.

Also, my car is October 2010, no past the 2009 firmware problems.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 01:53 AM   #642
Zoo Tv
Washed Weekly
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdim View Post
I uploaded the map via DVD because this is what another user with same map as me did on a 2011 X6. (the user was recommended to me by the FSC code seller.) The map was provided by the FSC code seller.

I dont know yet if the CIC is bricked or not, I should know today.

What annoys me is what ZooTV says. I was never warned I needed to update the firmware. And all over internet you read posts from the FSC sellers "all problems can be solved.. dealers have never had to be called."
Yet after searching a little I discover I am not the only person with the problem.

Also, my car is October 2010, no past the 2009 firmware problems.
I hate hearing these stories. I stayed quiet as I thought I was the only one..... No - there aren't a bucket load of people affected, but there are a few and people should know its not 100% foolproof. I also appreciate the notion of not modifying/tampering with anything without going through the proper channels just to save a few hundred dollars - and its a lesson learnt. But when you are told several times "all problems can be solved.. dealers have never had to be called" - you can see how we went ahead. Especially when so many report successful updates.

So - after hearing my experience is the same, I will voice my concern to others considering this upgrade - upgrading maps via USB can damage the CIC - something BMW mentioned to me that it has happened to my local dealer on the odd occasion themselves....
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 03:51 AM   #643
tigerdim
Hong Kong
Rep

I am a lucky one.. The firmware update fixed my problem.

At least we now know that DVD update can work (again my car is an October 2010 E92 with full option including Combox).

But buyers beware. Check that you dont need a firmware update before doing anything .

The firmware btw cost me 150 USD.. so total 200 USD for the map upgrade. Still better than the dealer's map update.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #644
Gumertang
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

2009 335i - Manufacture date 9/08

Updated via USB and FSC code from Dracon. Great price and simple update.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 11:02 PM   #645
firsttimer
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

I got the code and Torrent from Sergej, installed without any issues on my 335 2011.

BUT

Now everytime I start my car I get a Map Error, saying something like Address Can't be Found.

Anyone else having this issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #646
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimer View Post
I got the code and Torrent from Sergej, installed without any issues on my 335 2011.

BUT

Now everytime I start my car I get a Map Error, saying something like Address Can't be Found.

Anyone else having this issue?
You need to clear out your recent navigation history. Should clear it up.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 11:57 PM   #647
firsttimer
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
You need to clear out your recent navigation history. Should clear it up.
Awesome! Thanks Very Much!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #648
Down_Shift
Captain
Rep
Drives: Slay

Trying to prepare my car for update.

Do you guys know if my 01/09 build lci e90 will be ok to update via USB?

32gb drive ok?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #649
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
Trying to prepare my car for update.

Do you guys know if my 01/09 build lci e90 will be ok to update via USB?

32gb drive ok?
You may need a software update for the navigation if your car has never been updated by a dealer before.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #650
Zoo Tv
Washed Weekly
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You may need a software update for the navigation if your car has never been updated by a dealer before.
And possibly firmware update also. These, I believe, are what caused my issue which the sellers of the maps/codes SHOULD be making people aware. In certain situations, like mine, there could be issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #651
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo Tv View Post
And possibly firmware update also. These, I believe, are what caused my issue which the sellers of the maps/codes SHOULD be making people aware. In certain situations, like mine, there could be issues.
That's what I'm referring to as a software update. Where the dealership connects the vehicle to ISTA/P and updates the software on the iDrive (CIC unit).
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #652
Zoo Tv
Washed Weekly
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's what I'm referring to as a software update. Where the dealership connects the vehicle to ISTA/P and updates the software on the iDrive (CIC unit).
Hmm, you learn something new each day. My software had been updated as I noticed different options in the BMW Services (I think it is called) menu. This was prior to attempting the map update.

Therefore, I can surmise if the above is correct that I had in fact had a firmware update prior to the attempted map update - and the CIC was still damaged.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #653
retiredguy
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Hi I have a 2011 X3, Canadian version. The nav system has never been updated. I am wondering as my vehicle has dvd will the usb update work and will it now give the speed cameras and real time traffic. I am really new to this so I do appreciate any and all help....thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #654
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy View Post
Hi I have a 2011 X3, Canadian version. The nav system has never been updated. I am wondering as my vehicle has dvd will the usb update work and will it now give the speed cameras and real time traffic. I am really new to this so I do appreciate any and all help....thanks in advance
You can update via USB, however this update will not give you new features. All it does is update the map data on the hard drive of the navigation unit.

Real-time traffic is a completely separate option and speed camera's aren't in the navigation data from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #655
retiredguy
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Great thank you for the info..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #656
Down_Shift
Captain
Rep
Drives: Slay

So this means it probably needs to head into the dealer to get it done?

I have to go in for the battery terminal recall.. will they do the FW update free as a routine check thing? I've heard of people losing all their bmw coding after going in for random service, is this from FW updates?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #657
retiredguy
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Hi I am wondering if anyone has tried any 3rd party providers. I was looking at BMWnav.net and they are offering an update for $50. ...thanks in advance for any assistance....
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #658
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy View Post
Hi I am wondering if anyone has tried any 3rd party providers. I was looking at BMWnav.net and they are offering an update for $50. ...thanks in advance for any assistance....
What they are offering is the older Professional navigation discs, they only work on cars produced before the 2009 model year. They don't require an FSC code to update the maps, simply swap the DVD's and go.

MY2009 and up require the Premium navigation upgrade, which for North America is 2013-1A and only available on the USB flash drive. This update does require an FSC code in order to update.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #659
retiredguy
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Thanks Dracon, very informative. Appreciate all the input..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #660
IveGotABadFeelin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328i Xdrive

So I am still having trouble and thought I would post an update to share / seek advice.

Based on my earlier post / what I have read so far it seemed I needed a firmware update for my 2009 328i built in 4/09. I had already downloaded a copy of the map plate back in Jan from a different thread on this forum and my car never saw the update via the glovebox USB drive. At the time I had a 32GB PNY USB 3.0 drive that worked fine on my PCs that I was using as well as the armrest USB (just as confirmation that the car could see it from the music port).

I ended up getting a quote of $300 to update firmware at one local dealer so I called the other in my area and got a quote of $135 (which turned out to be $150 in actuality). I took my car to that dealer and they had it for about 2 hours. In that time they verified that all of my software was already up to date but had not yet been activated. Hmmm. Sounds a bit odd to me (I'm not sure how you update firmware on anything without activating it/using it) but I go with it in the hopes that it will work and I can buy an FSC code and be happy.

Needless to say it didn't work when I got home so I verified with Dracon that Lexar is the USB stick that BMW uses but Sandisk should also be good. Best Buy miraculously agreed to swap my PNY I bought in Jan for a Sandisk so I came home, formatted the new USB drive and loaded the maps (holy slow as this stick was clearly NOT USB 3.0). Tried it in the car and it doesn't work either (after 5-10 minutes waiting). Armrest USB sees the drive fine as does my laptop so I know the drive itself works, but the glovebox USB is still DOA.

At this point I see two options: 1) get a Lexar drive and cross my fingers or 2) try to get a drive that has worked for someone else and see what happens. I am kind of partial to 2 at this point since I am not sure the dealer did anything and it would be good to have a working USB stick in hand if I have to go back and push them. If anyone has one that they would be willing to let me borrow for a bit I would be happy to pay shipping both ways. I am also happy to hear any other suggestions anyone might have to share.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0