E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Quick xi Suspension Review - Bilstein + Eibach

11-27-2018, 08:19 AM   #353
Patsfan123
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe

I've got a 2007 328xi Coupe (w/ sport package) that was built in Nov 2006 with 92,000mi.

I've been running the Eibach Pro-Kit Spring Set (328i ver) 2091.140 (Avg low 1.0"F & 0.8"R) with Bilstein B8 Sport shocks (xi version) for 7.5yrs and approx 50,000mi. I enjoyed the ride for years but today the car sits too low, much more than the 0.8" advertised and I often bottom out on pretty minor humps. I don't think theres any rubbing in the fender but I've been warned that I will fail a state inspection for being too low, needed in March.

Today, I am looking for a smooth ride that isn't floaty above 80mph, which I felt on the stock suspension many years ago. I no longer care about lowering. Emphasis on smooth since a baby is also on the way. I run soft snow tires (205/55R-16) in the winter and summer tires (225/45RZ-17).

My question is that at this point should I consider the shocks to be toast considering the age and mileage? Option 1 would be just new springs but with the shocks, I figure that is unrealistic.
I am leery of doing another spring shock combo since they don’t seem to make many springs for the car which is why I went with my current combo so many years ago. So I was looking at the KW Variant 1 Coil-over as a one stop solution but I have no idea of the firmness.

Also, I am thinking I should just have a complete overhaul done on all the consumable parts. What else should I look into replacing or adding?

I am open to all other ideas. Thanks
      11-27-2018, 10:11 AM   #354
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335XI (sold)/E92 M3 (sold)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckanderson View Post
Pictures?
don't mind the dirtiness lol

So B4 Sports in the rear, B4 Standards in the front, Eibach Pro kit all around.

With 17x8 Style 340s on 225/45s

With 17x9 ARC-8s on 245/45s and 275/40s

These were right after installation so it hadn't settled yet. After settling, it sat a tiny bit lower (the rears were slightly tucked and the front gap was closed up a tiny bit more as well).

With the ARC-8s, no rubbing in the front...definitely rubbing in the back...will need to get the fenders rolled before putting them back on in the spring...might be a chance I will need to swap out the 275/40s for 245/45 all around if the fender rolling doesn't work.

Still unsure if putting B4 Standards in the rear will raise it a little...I have heard that Standards are a little longer than the Sports...I might experiment with that in the spring.

Last edited by BeaterM3; 11-27-2018 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 11:38 AM   #355
HawkeyeGeoff
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335XI MSport, S2000

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
I've got a 2007 328xi Coupe (w/ sport package) that was built in Nov 2006 with 92,000mi.

I've been running the Eibach Pro-Kit Spring Set (328i ver) 2091.140 (Avg low 1.0"F & 0.8"R) with Bilstein B8 Sport shocks (xi version) for 7.5yrs and approx 50,000mi. I enjoyed the ride for years but today the car sits too low, much more than the 0.8" advertised and I often bottom out on pretty minor humps. I don't think theres any rubbing in the fender but I've been warned that I will fail a state inspection for being too low, needed in March.

Today, I am looking for a smooth ride that isn't floaty above 80mph, which I felt on the stock suspension many years ago. I no longer care about lowering. Emphasis on smooth since a baby is also on the way. I run soft snow tires (205/55R-16) in the winter and summer tires (225/45RZ-17).

My question is that at this point should I consider the shocks to be toast considering the age and mileage? Option 1 would be just new springs but with the shocks, I figure that is unrealistic.
I am leery of doing another spring shock combo since they don’t seem to make many springs for the car which is why I went with my current combo so many years ago. So I was looking at the KW Variant 1 Coil-over as a one stop solution but I have no idea of the firmness.

Also, I am thinking I should just have a complete overhaul done on all the consumable parts. What else should I look into replacing or adding?

I had the same problem when I bought my 2011 e90 335 xdrive....it had Eibach Pros w/ Bilstein B8's. Bottomed out on small bumps, super harsh IMO. I switched to Dinan springs with the B8's and am super happy with how it turned out.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jVv...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WCf...ew?usp=sharing
Appreciate 1
4 Doors1169.00
      11-28-2018, 10:42 AM   #356
Patsfan123
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff View Post
I had the same problem when I bought my 2011 e90 335 xdrive....it had Eibach Pros w/ Bilstein B8's. Bottomed out on small bumps, super harsh IMO. I switched to Dinan springs with the B8's and am super happy with how it turned out.

Thanks, that looks pretty nice. It looks like Dinan doesn't make any springs for my model and really the only official springs are still the H&R which I decided against years ago.

I think I am going to do Koni Reds and the stock springs. My only question now is the bump stops. I've read that people had better luck with shorter ones on lowered setups.

I am thinking I should just get new ones since I've run lowering springs on the stock ones for so long, they are probably shot by now. I don't think there are really any aftermarket ones for stock springs?
      11-28-2018, 03:10 PM   #357
HawkeyeGeoff
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, that looks pretty nice. It looks like Dinan doesn't make any springs for my model and really the only official springs are still the H&R which I decided against years ago.

I think I am going to do Koni Reds and the stock springs. My only question now is the bump stops. I've read that people had better luck with shorter ones on lowered setups.

I am thinking I should just get new ones since I've run lowering springs on the stock ones for so long, they are probably shot by now. I don't think there are really any aftermarket ones for stock springs?
Bilsteins all have internal bump stops. Konis will require new bump stops if the old ones are worn out.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 04:12 PM   #358
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Bilsteins all have internal bump stops. Konis will require new bump stops if the old ones are worn out.
not on the B3 and B4 series. You need to add bump stops separately.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 09:54 AM   #359
koceguera
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

Quote:

Hello, we are very sorry to hear that your springs are sitting lower than when you initially installed them. I looked into our system, and I noticed we never released a Kit for the 2007 328Xi. All of our kits are vehicle specific, and we've noticed that most of the All-Wheel Drive models require a different kit due to spring rates and fitment. If you have any further questions or concerns, you're more than welcome to email me at koceguera@eibach.com and I will do my best to assist you.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 10:41 AM   #360
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by koceguera View Post
Hello, we are very sorry to hear that your springs are sitting lower than when you initially installed them. I looked into our system, and I noticed we never released a Kit for the 2007 328Xi. All of our kits are vehicle specific, and we've noticed that most of the All-Wheel Drive models require a different kit due to spring rates and fitment. If you have any further questions or concerns, you're more than welcome to email me at koceguera@eibach.com and I will do my best to assist you.
From what I have searched, Eibach doesn't make any of the Pro kits for xdrive models but there are many people who use the non xdrive Eibach Pro kit on their xdrive models with no issues.

I have non xdrive springs on my xdrive and I have had no issues (besides my tires being too width with the fenders not being rolled).
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 10:46 AM   #361
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Aren't B8s super stiff regardless? The Eibach's pros on 2011 E90s are like 1.4" front and 1" back, so I can imagine the ride. lol. Dinan's were probably a good choice for those. If I had the funds, I would have probably done the same. Eibach Pros paired with B4s seem like a good combo on an E92; only an 1" in the front and 0.80" in the rear.

Last edited by BeaterM3; 11-29-2018 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 11:05 AM   #362
drawz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi 6MT, 08 535xiT 6MT

Quote:

Usually springs don't sag that much over time. Maybe your mounts are collapsed? I just replaced an E61 front strut mount that had collapsed and the car was sitting about 0.5" lower on that side.
I'm going with the Koni Special Active on stock springs for my 330xi when I get around to installing them. Basically the same goals (and roads!) as you.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 12:52 PM   #363
Patsfan123
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koceguera View Post
Thanks. Because the only springs made for E92 328xi were H&R which had a substantial drop, common practice in 2011 was to use E92 328i springs on 328xi models knowing that it wasn't a perfect fit. I realize this was my risk and I am just looking to get back to a nice compromise between ride quality and performance.

It seems not much has changed in the past 7 years!
      11-29-2018, 05:11 PM   #364
koceguera
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by revengeismine View Post
From what I have searched, Eibach doesn't make any of the Pro kits for xdrive models but there are many people who use the non xdrive Eibach Pro kit on their xdrive models with no issues.

I have non xdrive springs on my xdrive and I have had no issues (besides my tires being too width with the fenders not being rolled).
We do all of our own testing here at the Eibach facility in Corona California. In order for us to test a Kit, we need to physically have the vehicle here in our garage to do all of the necessary before and after measurements. Unfortunately, we didn't have much luck finding All-Wheel Drive models at that time. But thank you for supporting our products!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 12:51 PM   #365
DMM235i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi

FYI, Tire Rack has the B12 kit's back in stock for XI models but it's on closeout and limited supply. I just ordered my kit yesterday.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2019, 08:02 PM   #366
Bmw_Crazy
First Lieutenant
Mozambique
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMM235i View Post
FYI, Tire Rack has the B12 kit's back in stock for XI models but it's on closeout and limited supply. I just ordered my kit yesterday.
Thanks ordered yesterday shipped already!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 09:02 PM   #367
Raptor04
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I didn't know B12 kits were sold by Bilstein for the xi cars....I thought they only sold the B12 kit for rwd cars? To get the B12 kit for xi, don't you have to buy the RWD Eibach springs separately from the B8 struts and shocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw_Crazy View Post
Thanks ordered yesterday shipped already!
      02-14-2019, 10:23 PM   #368
Bmw_Crazy
First Lieutenant
Mozambique
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor04 View Post
I didn't know B12 kits were sold by Bilstein for the xi cars....I thought they only sold the B12 kit for rwd cars? To get the B12 kit for xi, don't you have to buy the RWD Eibach springs separately from the B8 struts and shocks?
There is two different part numbers for the Bilstein B12 prokit when I went to tireracks sight I entered info for the xi and the non xi the part numbers are different so there is something different between the two
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #369
boosthead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw_Crazy View Post
There is two different part numbers for the Bilstein B12 prokit when I went to tireracks sight I entered info for the xi and the non xi the part numbers are different so there is something different between the two

The shocks are different between XI and RWD.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #370
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonecure View Post
Just my 2 cents, I had Bilstein's for a year and never liked how they felt. They did not have enough rebound dampening. I ended up buying the Koni adjustable's and love them. I highly recommend getting the Koni's.
As noted in another thread, I've been running the B8/Eibach Prokit for a while, and I think I might try a switch to the Konis after I've blown a few on the horrible Boston roads.

It appears the B8s might have a bit less piston travel distance just due to their monotube design, and I've read some reviews that they're a great upgrade over stock, but a bit more compliant on bad roads than the B8s.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #371
HawkeyeGeoff
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
As noted in another thread, I've been running the B8/Eibach Prokit for a while, and I think I might try a switch to the Konis after I've blown a few on the horrible Boston roads.

It appears the B8s might have a bit less piston travel distance just due to their monotube design, and I've read some reviews that they're a great upgrade over stock, but a bit more compliant on bad roads than the B8s.
Well, after my experience with Eibachs on an XI car, I found the car being too low with the Bilies....AKA there's not enough shock travel. They bottom out. The Dinan springs, which are made for the vert and XI, completely changed it to where it's supposed to be.

So too low + not enough travel = blown shocks. Similar to just putting lowering springs on stock shocks in that aspect.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 01:29 PM   #372
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Well, after my experience with Eibachs on an XI car, I found the car being too low with the Bilies....AKA there's not enough shock travel. They bottom out. The Dinan springs, which are made for the vert and XI, completely changed it to where it's supposed to be.

So too low + not enough travel = blown shocks. Similar to just putting lowering springs on stock shocks in that aspect.
Profile pic of the car w/ dinans? If I missed it earlier, apologies. The vert is heavier, so it'll be hard to compare apples:apples.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 02:12 PM   #373
HawkeyeGeoff
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
Profile pic of the car w/ dinans? If I missed it earlier, apologies. The vert is heavier, so it'll be hard to compare apples:apples.

Yeah vert is a tad heavier, but they function correctly on the xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 03:53 PM   #374
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:

Yeah vert is a tad heavier, but they function correctly on the xDrive.
Sexy vert. I rock the same wheels for my winters.

Last edited by AWD Addict; 08-07-2019 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0