E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > N54 335i Turbo Upgrade: 2019 thoughts?

01-03-2019, 12:29 PM   #1
fergusond
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
N54 335i Turbo Upgrade: 2019 thoughts?

owned my E92 335i for over 3.5 years purchased with rattling waste-gates, uprated intercooler, COBB, catless down-pipes, twin cone air filters, charge pipe, LSD etc. I obtained a spare set of used turbo's a couple of years ago, now looking to have these over hauled and hopefully uprated for a bit more performance.

Read through various forums going back to 2009, various chaps in UK showing interest but seemingly only a couple commenting commitment to turbo upgrades then there seems to be little or no information after fitment on performance/reliability.

Are there any viable options in the UK or do RB & Vargas make more financial sense for value for money over performance/reliability on a proven US record. Although posting/buying from America seems to me so complicated.

Anyone had any useful experience with Turbo Dynamics Stage 1 or 2 Turbo's on the N54 engine.

david
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 02:34 PM   #2
Smokey33
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 Black 335i DCT FBO

Think a few places in the UK can rebuild them as hybrids, but your looking at a few grand easily then you will need new hpfp and lpfp as well as tuning and piping oil feeds etc. It's a lot when you add it up. Makes more sense if your going all out and adding meth and port injection.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 04:32 PM   #3
fergusond
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
I've seen the costs and would probably prefer a 'Stage 1' option for my needs. The tuning aspect I was thinking initially, my various maps on my Cobb would cater for that. I'm aware about the return oil pipes but have seen nothing in particular relating to the fuel pumps not being up to the job.

I was also considering having the pipes between the turbos and intercooler replaced and also having the mod where two air filter cones bolt directed to the the turbo's on the left hand side of the engine fitted as well, both kits from America.

I've haven't picked up on anyone strongly recommending any UK company providing turbo's for the N54 engine.

I would prefer to support local companies....
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 04:51 PM   #4
Yam_440i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White BMW 335i convertible

Check out Bespoke Tuning, UK based, they do hybrid builds.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 04:05 AM   #5
748adam
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I'm just waiting on my Pure Stage 2 high flows (rated for upto 700hp) arriving, deal with Peter at Pure Europe, he can deal with all the import stuff for you
      01-04-2019, 05:54 AM   #6
fergusond
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List

Bespoke seem to specialize in Suburu tuning rather than manufacturing, I wonder where they get their turbo's from.

I'm just waiting on my Pure Stage 2 high flows (rated for upto 700hp) arriving, deal with Peter at Pure Europe, he can deal with all the import stuff for you

'Pure' seem to be the new to the American market and getting good reviews, Vargas offer much the same but seem a lot cheaper if you consider there stage 2 GC lites at 625whp (765hp) at around $2k (figures may be a bit out, need to get my head around all the different options).
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 05:56 AM   #7
DrewM.
Private
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey33 View Post
Think a few places in the UK can rebuild them as hybrids, but your looking at a few grand easily then you will need new hpfp and lpfp as well as tuning and piping oil feeds etc. It's a lot when you add it up. Makes more sense if your going all out and adding meth and port injection.
At what power does the stock fuel system start to become an issue?

It's difficult as there is so little information from the UK, and most US dyno numbers just do not make sense to me, As I beleive above 450bhp (crank) the LPFP needs to be addressed and above 550bhp you'll need to replace the HPFP or run PI, would these figures be about right?

So if the OP is only looking for a moderate lift to, say around 450bhp and the turbo's need replacing anyway, would it not make sense to have the turbo's modified instead of running stock turbo's outside of their efficiency range?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 06:14 AM   #8
748adam
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Have you read any of the reviews from Vargas? more than a few unimpressed customers with failed turbos, poor customer service etc, this wass the main reason I avoided Vargas. I've not had any personal dealings with VTT but the poor reviews were more than enough to put me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergusond View Post

Bespoke seem to specialize in Suburu tuning rather than manufacturing, I wonder where they get their turbo's from.

'Pure' seem to be the new to the American market and getting good reviews, Vargas offer much the same but seem a lot cheaper if you consider there stage 2 GC lites at 625whp (765hp) at around $2k (figures may be a bit out, need to get my head around all the different options).
      01-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #9
Smokey33
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM. View Post
At what power does the stock fuel system start to become an issue?

It's difficult as there is so little information from the UK, and most US dyno numbers just do not make sense to me, As I beleive above 450bhp (crank) the LPFP needs to be addressed and above 550bhp you'll need to replace the HPFP or run PI, would these figures be about right?

So if the OP is only looking for a moderate lift to, say around 450bhp and the turbo's need replacing anyway, would it not make sense to have the turbo's modified instead of running stock turbo's outside of their efficiency range?
If 450 is a goal id just fix the wastegates, that's plenty doable. Im a touch more than that at 18psi so nowhere near maxed out. Im sure I read a company in Coventry will rebuild the wastegates for 200quid, and they walnut blast as well somewhere......

Whats doable on normal pump fuel on upgraded turbo's? Do you need to upgrade both the HPFP and LPFP? like said there isn't a great deal of info around. More power would be nice but there doesn't to be a sensible turbo upgrade money wise.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 09:53 AM   #10
748adam
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I only know of 1 HPFP upgrade and thats the VTT one, nearly everyone in the states upgrades the low pressure fuel pump (ive done this, relatively easy DIY) to a single Walbro 450 pump, or if you go balls out with port injection (which is what I will do eventually) then you will need 2 or even 3 walbro fuel pumps.
To keep it simple at the minute I have 1 Walbro 450 (which delivers 100% more fuel than the standard pump) and waiting on the turbos to arrive. These combined I am hoping for high 400hp/low 500hp.
Once port injection is added this can bump to 600hp quite easily.
      01-04-2019, 10:52 AM   #11
fergusond
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
I've read 10 years of reviews, from both sides of the Atlantic, Vargas & RBTurbo's seem most consistent for reliability over the years with a few hiccups along the way as development moves on, that's why I looking to find whats viable for 2019 from people mainly uk based who've invested in their cars.

I'll look again at Vargas reviews, I did like the way they had made new manifolds so that the turbos can be removed/installed more easily and with increased air flow to the turbo's.

Fueling is unknown to me, in comparison to the low grade fuel in America, I would be looking for advice from the supplier/manufacturer once I've narrowed down my options. I'm not particularly looking for a rocket-ship in constant need of fettling. Like the sound of the LPFP mod though...

The place referred to in Coventry could be PMP Cars at Nuneaton who are on my radar depending how far I want to go or spend, or maybe just to carry out the work, if I don't do it myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 11:45 AM   #12
fergusond
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
748adam:

a post just stated on N54 Tech that will interest you:
PURE Stage 2 Prerequisites?, I'll be observing it too, on the same page Vargas GC lite failure...........
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 12:41 PM   #13
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
VTT is garbage. Stay far far away. The GCs have a known issue of blowing up, well documented, even VTT has to publicly admit it now. Owner beats women and has been arrested for it, you can find the info online. Scummy company overall. Owner isn't even allowed to post on the forums anymore because he is such a jack ass.

RB or Pure are the only reliable solutions on the market for the N54 upgraded twins.

I vote get a single turbo as they are more reliable and better top end on pump gas. Twins you really have to have full E85 to make good numbers like anything close to a single turbo.

Whatever you do get a custom tune. Running OTS maps is weak, cobb maps are old an outdated and you can make a lot more power even on stock turbos. Get MHD and a custom tune. Or at least run MHD and OTS maps.

As far as the fueling comments above I can answer them accurately for you. What fuel do you plan to run, which FI solution, and what HP goals? That is all you need to decide on which upgrades, if any, you need to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 01:49 PM   #14
DrewM.
Private
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
VTT is garbage. Stay far far away. The GCs have a known issue of blowing up, well documented, even VTT has to publicly admit it now. Owner beats women and has been arrested for it, you can find the info online. Scummy company overall. Owner isn't even allowed to post on the forums anymore because he is such a jack ass.

RB or Pure are the only reliable solutions on the market for the N54 upgraded twins.

I vote get a single turbo as they are more reliable and better top end on pump gas. Twins you really have to have full E85 to make good numbers like anything close to a single turbo.

Whatever you do get a custom tune. Running OTS maps is weak, cobb maps are old an outdated and you can make a lot more power even on stock turbos. Get MHD and a custom tune. Or at least run MHD and OTS maps.

As far as the fueling comments above I can answer them accurately for you. What fuel do you plan to run, which FI solution, and what HP goals? That is all you need to decide on which upgrades, if any, you need to do.
Sorry to the OP for gatecrashing your thread and taking it off topic, but, I'd like to know what I need to do to get as close to 500 crank bhp as possible, I appreciate engine's with the same mods will differ but I'd like to get close to this target.

Currently on stock turbos which were replaced not many miles ago, running CP, tial Q50 and 5" Phoenix IC, about to go cat-less DP's, what would this set up using 98RON (93 octane) and a custom MHD map yeild, somewhere around that figure?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #15
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM. View Post
Sorry to the OP for gatecrashing your thread and taking it off topic, but, I'd like to know what I need to do to get as close to 500 crank bhp as possible, I appreciate engine's with the same mods will differ but I'd like to get close to this target.

Currently on stock turbos which were replaced not many miles ago, running CP, tial Q50 and 5" Phoenix IC, about to go cat-less DP's, what would this set up using 98RON (93 octane) and a custom MHD map yeild, somewhere around that figure?
Yeah at the crank. Add inlets on 93 you can expect to dyno, with a custom tune, on a dynojet peak #s of 400-420whp 450-480 wtq. 420whp is basically 500bhp or crank HP. most on 93 dyno 400/450. Inlets should help. Given the labor I would probably pay a shop to install my inlets and while in there the PSP metal outlet pipe as it's small money and should help a tad even on stock turbos, it's not going to hurt.

Watch this:
Dyno chart is at the end.

If you want more you will need to run meth or E85. Meth is really not that complicated, expensive, or hard to install.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 04:32 PM   #16
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 540ix

Just to bump this again has anyone had any success with EU based twin hybrid options? I've heard of Pure Turbos before , first time hearing about Bespoke Tuning turbos . They seem like good value turbos capable of making good power. Has anybody on here tried them?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 04:34 PM   #17
fergusond
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
I've went the Chinese Ebay route 17T converted to T004 bits delivered for £840. Fitting over-sized inlet & outlet hoses, I have the car in bits, going to unbolt the old turbos tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 10:55 AM   #18
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergusond View Post
I've went the Chinese Ebay route 17T converted to T004 bits delivered for £840. Fitting over-sized inlet & outlet hoses, I have the car in bits, going to unbolt the old turbos tomorrow.
Any progress?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 12:24 PM   #19
Smokey33
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Just to bump this again has anyone had any success with EU based twin hybrid options? I've heard of Pure Turbos before , first time hearing about Bespoke Tuning turbos . They seem like good value turbos capable of making good power. Has anybody on here tried them?
Like said id only be using Pure or RB. Ive also heard a few good things about TTE i.e the turbo engineers, I know a lad with there stage 2's on his 135i and hes running 550bhp on normal fuel.
Appreciate 1
Torgus3779.00
      05-01-2019, 01:55 PM   #20
snedanator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i le mans blue

The new Pure 600s are just new on the block....just waiting on rhd fitment. Bargain price tho....check them out :-)
https://www.pureturbos.com/store/bmw...de-turbos.html
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 05:36 PM   #21
fergusond
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Any progress?

the turbos are bolted in, struggled to remove the OEM hard plastic inlet hoses also struggled to replace these with MTC over-sized inlet hoses around the front & rear of the engine. Now on with fitting RB outlet hose and squeezing in the heat shield.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 04:46 AM   #22
lightmanek
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i N54 MT ST PI FF

You can also check my thread in the main N54 Engine subsection. I had Perun Hybrids before and was running about 550hp crank on VPower 99. Now I have TD04H hybrids, with the same map on which I was getting 550HP on TD03 now I get about +60hp. I do have a lot of mods to help extract every little HP, including air intake relocation on RHD car.
Hybrid TD03 and TD04H turbos with lots of images and stuff

I would highly recommend Perun Turbo from Poland as I have done documented 40k miles on them without an issue.
TX Turbo is an unknown for me personally, but they do a lot of stuff for drift and motorsport and their customer service after my sad oil change story was top notch.

Last edited by lightmanek; 05-06-2019 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0