E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > OBD Readers Experience - BMW Specific

01-01-2019, 08:18 PM   #1
das86turbo
Rep
Drives: M3

OBD Readers Experience - BMW Specific

What are you personal experiences with the different OBD readers. I want to read the BMW specific codes and do diagnostics. The Carly website says this is "future". I do all my own mtce. I purchased a Foxwell NT510 direct from the mfg to save a few bucks. As expressed on other threads, never got the support from China to get it working. TIA for your input.

Last edited by das86turbo; 01-01-2019 at 09:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 07:20 PM   #2
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Carly is actually pretty good. If you want more, just go to Bimmergeeks. You can get a good K+DCAN cable and then use any old laptop to read/clear all your codes and (if you install ISTA) get some diagnostic tips. They have the free software download links on their site. Then visit the Coding section of this website.

At that point, you'd even be able to code certain variables like light warnings for low voltage, etc. Carly can do some of the basic coding too, so if you want no-frills, that's one way to go. Carly doesn't get into HOW to repair anything, it just tells you the code and possibly a short description - not that ISTA is the gold standard either, but it is a shop-level diagnostic tool that allows you to test variables. As close to the dealership as you're gonna get.
Appreciate 0