E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > N47 help needed

01-11-2019, 10:23 PM   #1
Aidan13
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 320d

N47 help needed

Hi all,
I'm Aidan, new member and finally able to post this in the right place... I think

I'm needing some advice on my 320d e91.

I'll start 9 months ago when it started using coolant, loads of it without signs of a leak. I changed the thermostat and water pump but it was still getting air in the system. I managed to narrow it down to the EGR cooler so I blanked it off (I know opinions are split on this but rightly or wrongly it's the road I went down so please don't throw me to the wolves) any who the car then ran sweet with no issues.

the other day I saw the dreaded coolant low light and my heart sank. I topped it up and around 1,000 miles later it pinged on again. topping up I noticed a little (not alot) of oil in the coolant but not coolant in the oil. it was just enough to get a few light specs on my finger when dipping it in.

I'm hoping it's the seals in the oil cooler heat exchange but I know it could also be the head gasket. has anyone else had this issue and how common are the Head gaskets for failing in these?

other than the mentioned symptoms the car is running sweet and gets good mpg. I've serviced it regularly. I'll take on most jobs DIY such as brakes and engine work on my other halves clio but don't think I'd have either the confidence or know how to tackle a head gasket on the Bimmer even though the N47 engine does seem to be one of the few modern cars which actually has a little space to work.

I hope I've included enough info and not waffled too much
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 06:26 AM   #2
KSP1
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Hmm is the car auto or manual....
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 07:34 AM   #3
Aidan13
Registered