E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Parting ways with my 335i

01-12-2019, 09:00 AM   #23
M3DIA
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 // 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma_335i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingSun335 View Post
clearly you didn't see "Pretty much everything spark plugs, coil packs, HPFP, and water pump should be on the way out." and no it was a clean title. You tell me man it's been in and out of the dealership for this bs electrical problem.
Lol, any car will have this problem, even Honda and Toyota. It's called maintains.
I understand owning a bmw cost a lot of money to maintain. You don't have to be the 100th person to tell me that mate.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 09:48 AM   #24
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I'm not here to flame you or the car, or the N54. If you want to chose a different car, based on what you've been through, it's understandable. But I'd like to suggest that you are kind of trying to have your cake and eat it too. The two cars you listed are high performance cars with high HP/liter engines. The Vette is probably the more reliable of the two since it's not force inducted if you saty away from the Z06. The M4 has a seriously technical engine, so you just have to expect reliability issues with it. The more power extracted from the cylinder for a given cylinder volume just means more complexity and heat. High pressure fuel systems, turbo charging, valvetrain manipulation apparatuses, all just mean more maintenance, and a greater number of parts to fail. That is just how modern cars are, they have great performance, but it can't be attained at average or better reliability; physics just doesn't allow it.

It sounds like your 335i has seen better days, or was just not built well, which just happens sometimes with mass-produced products despite the QA efforts to avoid it.

My 2 cents.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
M3DIA28.50
      01-12-2019, 10:17 AM   #25
M3DIA
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 // 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'm not here to flame you or the car, or the N54. If you want to chose a different car, based on what you've been through, it's understandable. But I'd like to suggest that you are kind of trying to have your cake and eat it too. The two cars you listed are high performance cars with high HP/liter engines. The Vette is probably the more reliable of the two since it's not force inducted if you saty away from the Z06. The M4 has a seriously technical engine, so you just have to expect reliability issues with it. The more power extracted from the cylinder for a given cylinder volume just means more complexity and heat. High pressure fuel systems, turbo charging, valvetrain manipulation apparatuses, all just mean more maintenance, and a greater number of parts to fail. That is just how modern cars are, they have great performance, but it can't be attained at average or better reliability; physics just doesn't allow it.

It sounds like your 335i has seen better days, or was just not built well, which just happens sometimes with mass-produced products despite the QA efforts to avoid it.

My 2 cents.
Really appreciate the thought-out answer, instead of just roasting me like everyone else. You're definitely right though. Test drove the m4 this morning and loved everything about it. but not much faster than my 335i.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2019, 10:37 AM   #26
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Really appreciate the thought-out answer, instead of just roasting me like everyone else. You're definitely right though. Test drove the m4 this morning and loved everything about it. but not much faster than my 335i.
A friend of mine at work has a M4. He loves the car. He's active over at the M4 Forum. He has a manual of course, as a M4 should IMO. He's never had an issue with it so far. But he's owned it since new and maintains it well. It's his daily and un-modded.

I bought my first used BMW when I picked up my very low mileage Z4 in December 2014. The other 3 BMWs I've had, two I still have, I bought new. I didn't have a good experience with the Z4. Nothing really wrong, just detail shit that CarMax is supposed to catch. I've gotten good service out of the Z4, but it's a performance car, so you really never know what you get because it is a used car. IMO the best ownership experience comes when you can buy a new car and create the history with it.

Good luck with the search.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 11:02 AM   #27
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
A M4 or M2 will probably be my next car. Really interested in them.

But I don't like the crank hub issues on the M4. I don't think it's that common tho.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 11:09 AM   #28
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Yea I understand, but when the past couple times i've been on road trips with the 335i some shit would go wrong (ex. car lost power and shut down in the middle of no where) and would leave me with an expensive tow bill. It's simply not a car i can rely on when i go on long trips.
I hear you man. Get the hell out of this platform. So many better options. I can never trust my car on a road trip. Chances of breaking down just too high.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 11:41 AM   #29
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Pretty much everything spark plugs, coil packs, HPFP, and water pump should be on the way out. I experienced a crap load of electrical problems with this car. went through multiple batteries. Just need a car i can drive for long distances and be in a different state, without having to constantly worry about something that might go wrong.
Not being able to trust the car for long distances is to be expected in your case though. You bought the car used and arent completely aware of how it was maintained or driven in the past (unless you were provided detailed service records). It will take some time to get to know the car and replace any issues it may have. It takes some time to get gain that confidence. My A4 is closing in on 210k miles and I wouldnt have any concerns taking a cross country trip in it, but thats because I've addressed many of its issues and have stayed on top of its required maintenance.

That being said, it does appear that your 335i is prone to a lot more failures than other cars. Ultimately you have to decide whether you like it enough to dump more money on on preventative maintenance to get ahead of future issues or cut your losses and move into something less maintenance heavy.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 11:56 AM   #30
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Lol, any car will have this problem, even Honda and Toyota. It's called maintains.
While I agree the park plugs and water pump are common maintenance items on all makes, the HPFP and coil packs I'd argue aren't. The HPFP reliability seems to be an issue largely with our cars. But in all the car's I've owned (and maintained for my family), coil packs and fuel pumps have never had to be replaced (often times racking up close to or beyond 200k miles). Eventually they will become maintenance items, but not really considered common maintenance if they last that long.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2019, 12:07 PM   #31
srey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i 6mt

What is wrong with all your guys' cars that make them break down all the time? I've taken mine on cross country road trips and daily it. Never once has it left me stranded. I've gone limp mode a few times, but could still get where i was going. The HPFP, water pump, and belt tensioner are the only common issues that will strand you, but you do them once and you're good. I get the frustration of owning a 335i. Chasing down boost leaks is annoying. The way so many people on here bitch about it, though, makes me think i got a unicorn reliable 335i, from 2007 no less.

Last edited by srey; 01-12-2019 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2019, 03:29 PM   #32
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
It's called maintains.
What ?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 03:54 PM   #33
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by srey View Post
What is wrong with all your guys' cars that make them break down all the time? I've taken mine on cross country road trips and daily it. Never once has it left me stranded. I've gone limp mode a few times, but could still get where i was going. The HPFP, water pump, and belt tensioner are the only common issues that will strand you, but you do them once and you're good. I get the frustration of owning a 335i. Chasing down boost leaks is annoying. The way so many people on here bitch about it, though, makes me think i got a unicorn reliable 335i, from 2007 no less.
It is not as bad as people make it out to be, other than the big cost of when the stock turbos fail. That is where the big cost comes in, on an 07 potentially 1/3 the value of the car or more depending.

For alot of people dropping 3k cash is a big deal. It is like a new auto tranny for example.

Last edited by Torgus; 01-12-2019 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 06:01 PM   #34
ahlbe1cl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

OP, how old are you?
Appreciate 1
Torgus3781.50
      01-12-2019, 06:36 PM   #35
rsyed07
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 330i, E92 13' 335is

I'm on my 2nd N54. Drove the first one (2011 335is, now totaled) with 48k miles to 76k miles. Zero issues other than a leaking oil filter housing gasket, blown OEM Chargepipe, and coil pack failures which are bound to happen at that mileage. I also replaced the water pump and thermostat on that model as preventive maintenance. On my 2nd N54 right now (2013 335is) also bought with 48k miles, currently has 56k miles and I'm replacing the OFHG as preventive maintenance and its been reliable too. Sure with insurance payment I could've move onto something else when the 2011 got totaled but you're not gonna find another platform where stock turbos can give you 430whp with basic bolt ons and a tune out there. I just think you got an unlucky lemon or previous owner did not care for it whatsoever. Although your mileage is low it is a 2007 where rubber and plastic things start to deteriorate.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 07:17 PM   #36
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 325i 6spd

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
e90, n52 FBO make sure to have 3.73 diff if your going with a manual transmission

i have a lightweight fbo 4dr 325i 6spd bimmerlabs tune, 3.73 diff and all cats delete, stock muffler tune soooo fun to drive. still sounds like stock too. had it for over a year and only the starter went out. mine burns oil which is not normal. other than that, dare i say just as reliable as a honda.
Appreciate 0