E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > M57 Valvecover gasket



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-31-2018, 09:32 PM   #45
Yozh
Colonel
Yozh's Avatar
No_Country
671
Rep
2,341
Posts

Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wet Coast

iTrader: (4)

I feel the same for the injector puller. At $30 it was a no brained and worked well on the #6
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 07:02 PM   #46
Kozlio
New Member
Canada
2
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2012 x5d with JR stage 2
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

So how much should I expect to pay for the vcg job at an Indy? I see the part is $89 at aarodriguez. I saw $1,200 being quoted by a dealer in one of the posts above so I figure max half price at Indy.... what’s yr experience or recommend dyi. I’m with a x5d.
I changed the vcg on my e46 with my dad a few years back. Recall the back bolts were hard to reach and took us a whole afternoon following “bs corner’s” instructions on YouTube
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 09:49 PM   #47
335dlci
Captain
99
Rep
943
Posts

Drives: 335d
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Socal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozlio View Post
So how much should I expect to pay for the vcg job at an Indy? I see the part is $89 at aarodriguez. I saw $1,200 being quoted by a dealer in one of the posts above so I figure max half price at Indy.... whatís yr experience or recommend dyi. Iím with a x5d.
I changed the vcg on my e46 with my dad a few years back. Recall the back bolts were hard to reach and took us a whole afternoon following ďbs cornerísĒ instructions on YouTube
If you think an e46 vcg is a bitch. Dont attempt. You need to remove the intake manifold, injectors with a slide hammer and then the fun getting it started after
.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 10:01 PM   #48
apexit4
First Lieutenant
Poland
60
Rep
337
Posts

Drives: 335D M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozlio View Post
So how much should I expect to pay for the vcg job at an Indy? I see the part is $89 at aarodriguez. I saw $1,200 being quoted by a dealer in one of the posts above so I figure max half price at Indy.... whatís yr experience or recommend dyi. Iím with a x5d.
I changed the vcg on my e46 with my dad a few years back. Recall the back bolts were hard to reach and took us a whole afternoon following ďbs cornerísĒ instructions on YouTube
If you follow the above posted instructions, you should be able to do it yourself if you're mechanically inclined. It's no so much hard as it is tedious. Replacing the valve cover and gasket on my 335D was the first DIY repair I did myself and it turned out fine. Just make sure to read all the suggestions in all the posts on this thread to make your life easier.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 10:03 PM   #49
apexit4
First Lieutenant
Poland
60
Rep
337
Posts

Drives: 335D M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
If you think an e46 vcg is a bitch. Dont attempt. You need to remove the intake manifold, injectors with a slide hammer and then the fun getting it started after
.
Either I got lucky or bleeding the fuel system of air pockets being a PITA is being blown out of proportion. I did it twice without any software related help and the car started up without much of an issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 10:23 PM   #50
robnitro
Lieutenant
59
Rep
441
Posts

Drives: x5 35d e70 2011
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NYC area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
Either I got lucky or bleeding the fuel system of air pockets being a PITA is being blown out of proportion. I did it twice without any software related help and the car started up without much of an issue.
How did you bleed your system?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 10:31 PM   #51
apexit4
First Lieutenant
Poland
60
Rep
337
Posts

Drives: 335D M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
How did you bleed your system?
IIRC, the first time around (when replacing the valve cover and gasket) my mechanic and I just unscrewed the fuel line from the injectors to get all the air out. Didnt take long for the car to start after that. The second time around was when I did my engine swap. Just let the engine crank a few times and it fired right up (similar to what you'd expect on a gas engine).

Now, whether this is the right process and safe process is up for debate. Just wanted to chime in an point out its completely possible to do without the software and can be relatively painless in some circumstances.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 12:36 AM   #52
robnitro
Lieutenant
59
Rep
441
Posts

Drives: x5 35d e70 2011
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NYC area

iTrader: (0)

The software bleeds the inj pump and fuel filter, which isn't emptied by the injector removal. Air is in the line that goes to the injectors and air in the injectors themselves.

I guess common rail bleeds easier. My tdi with rotary pump was a bitch to bleed after nozzles changed.

I don't see any harm there since the inj pump is not dry. How much cranking did you have to do?
Appreciate 1
apexit459.50

      01-13-2019, 08:18 AM   #53
apexit4
First Lieutenant
Poland
60
Rep
337
Posts

Drives: 335D M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
The software bleeds the inj pump and fuel filter, which isn't emptied by the injector removal. Air is in the line that goes to the injectors and air in the injectors themselves.

I guess common rail bleeds easier. My tdi with rotary pump was a bitch to bleed after nozzles changed.

I don't see any harm there since the inj pump is not dry. How much cranking did you have to do?
Good to know, thanks for the insight. I'd say that both times it took around 5, maybe 6 cycles of the ignition. I'm a little hazy on the exact amount of times I had to try since it's been a while since I did it. But I do remember it didn't give me much of an issue either time.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST