E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Need advice on Crank No start 2012 N55 335i

01-16-2019, 07:42 PM   #1
poisonouschimp
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Need advice on Crank No start 2012 N55 335i

I got this as a project car. It only has 5501 original miles as a 2012 n55 335i sport pack fully loaded. It is automatic with the paddle shifters. When I got it the passenger side harness was torn from the accident as well as the front sensor harness that runs past the ofh. Seeing the previous techs shotty work I decided to pull every wire back to the firewall, unsheathed and inspected literally every wire for damage. The wires I did find damage on I soldered and heat shrunk the repairs and then rewrapped the looms. Then I took electrical cleaner and blasted every connector to ensure nothing could cause issues. After letting it all dry I reassembled everything and still have a no start. I get a valvetronic clicking noise when I open the doors. When I try and start the car the starter goes, but then the car warns engine malfunction and transmission malfunction. I have inpa and ista, but don't know where to start. Airbags did go off in the accident and there are codes for the crash MRS present. I've tried to clear codes, but still no start. I turned the crank by hand and had the manifold off and saw the valves move without resistance. The timing chain appears to have a slight bend in one of the links and it looks as if part of the chain guide snapped. I just want to get the motor to fire before tossing more parts at it to get it 100%. I don't know if the crash systems are preventing start or if mechanical damage happened in the crash preventing start. Before I rip the head open and have to deal with all the extra gaskets that need to be replaced I figure I ask for advice here if anyone has an idea where to begin. I've already checked fuses and the only 2 blown were for the coolant pump and radiator fan which I've replaced and no change. I've also noticed the windows don't work or the power mirrors and the outside temp sensor only reports -40°. I created a link of pictures https://photos.app.goo.gl/G2tQvkqLV7N7utM19
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 08:29 PM   #2
poisonouschimp
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Bump still crank no start
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 03:46 AM   #3
GreQonE
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: '2011 E92 LCI 335i

I am just guessing, but maybe something immobiliser related?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 06:36 AM   #4
cahme
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335i Sport MT

Looks like issues with valvetronic. With 2DCF and the shaft at minimum lift, the engine won't start. If you want to bypass the vvt, you can drill a hole in the VC and manually put the shaft at max lift .. search for the details.
Appreciate 1
DiFFv189.50
      05-24-2019, 06:22 PM   #5
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahme View Post
Looks like issues with valvetronic. With 2DCF and the shaft at minimum lift, the engine won't start. If you want to bypass the vvt, you can drill a hole in the VC and manually put the shaft at max lift .. search for the details.
Vvt generally stands for variable valve timing, and that would be vanos not valvetronic. Just a small correction.
Appreciate 0