E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > LED Fog Conversion: Which Decoder?

01-18-2019, 02:48 PM   #1
wmuncaster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i PPK

LED Fog Conversion: Which Decoder?

Hi all,

I recently installed the BMW Performance front bumper on my LCI e90. As you know, the performance bumper doesn't have provision for fog lamp housings. In lieu of a factory fog arrangement, I'm going to hide some high-powered LED light bars inside the outer cooling duct openings.

In order to run the LED bars, I know I'll need a CANBUS decoder. The market seems to be flooded with cheap devices of questionable integrity.

Does anyone have CANBUS decoders that they like, that don't seem like a major fire hazard?

By nature, the decoders should get hot, so the designs that have external heat sinks make sense. However, it seems like they're the cheap ones. Should I be worried about a decoder that's just wires in and out of a plastic case?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 05:50 PM   #2
lucasmiller2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmuncaster View Post
Hi all,

I recently installed the BMW Performance front bumper on my LCI e90. As you know, the performance bumper doesn't have provision for fog lamp housings. In lieu of a factory fog arrangement, I'm going to hide some high-powered LED light bars inside the outer cooling duct openings.

In order to run the LED bars, I know I'll need a CANBUS decoder. The market seems to be flooded with cheap devices of questionable integrity.

Does anyone have CANBUS decoders that they like, that don't seem like a major fire hazard?

By nature, the decoders should get hot, so the designs that have external heat sinks make sense. However, it seems like they're the cheap ones. Should I be worried about a decoder that's just wires in and out of a plastic case?
It's way better/easier to just disable the warm/cold bulb checks in the FRM module.

Previous: 2011 E90 335i | Black Sapphire Metallic | 2007 E90 335i | Monaco Blue Metallic
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 09:05 AM   #3
wmuncaster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmiller2015 View Post
It's way better/easier to just disable the warm/cold bulb checks in the FRM module.
I'd agree, but I don't want to disable ALL of the bulb checks (want to keep tail lights, specifically) and don't think there's a way to disable the fog bulb checks selectively.

I also want to keep the factory harness intact with the H8 connectors, so I need H8 connector whips to tie-in to the LED's at a minimum anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmuncaster View Post
I'd agree, but I don't want to disable ALL of the bulb checks (want to keep tail lights, specifically) and don't think there's a way to disable the fog bulb checks selectively.

I also want to keep the factory harness intact with the H8 connectors, so I need H8 connector whips to tie-in to the LED's at a minimum anyway.
Through coding you can disable specific areas of the lights, Angel Eyes, Fog Lights, Brake Lights, ETC ETC. There are both warm and cold checks for each of them. If you need assistance we do offer a remote service.
Appreciate 1