E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 56 plate 335d saloon idrive screen black and flickers every 30 secs

01-19-2019, 04:58 AM   #1
Mpow3r_UK
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Le mans E90 335d

56 plate 335d saloon idrive screen black and flickers every 30 secs

Hi
I've searched the forum and not seen my exact issue.

It started a few months ago where screen would freeze/restart or if frozen I would do the hard restart with both eject buttons and power button and it would be ok.

Now it's gone completely black and just flickers white every 30secs. When it flickers I can hear the dvd players whirring for a split second but as soon as it does that it goes black again and repeats every 30 secs. I've pulled idrive out, diconnected both leads and reconnected but no luck.

I read that some have disconnected their battery for half hour and it worked after. My only concern is I know when changing battery you have to get it coded, so would disconnecting it require the same when it is reconnected?

I have another idrive available to me, can I just swap it around or will replacement need coding? My sat navigation is the wide one and new one is the same. Not sure of difference between ccc and cic.

Many thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpow3r_UK View Post
Hi
I've searched the forum and not seen my exact issue.

It started a few months ago where screen would freeze/restart or if frozen I would do the hard restart with both eject buttons and power button and it would be ok.

Now it's gone completely black and just flickers white every 30secs. When it flickers I can hear the dvd players whirring for a split second but as soon as it does that it goes black again and repeats every 30 secs. I've pulled idrive out, diconnected both leads and reconnected but no luck.

I read that some have disconnected their battery for half hour and it worked after. My only concern is I know when changing battery you have to get it coded, so would disconnecting it require the same when it is reconnected?

I have another idrive available to me, can I just swap it around or will replacement need coding? My sat navigation is the wide one and new one is the same. Not sure of difference between ccc and cic.

Many thanks in advance
It take it the idrive is CCC?

Is there a nav dvd in there? Sometimes if the dvd goes bad it can cause the unit to go crazy. Take it out and hard reset.

Have you checked the cables in between the CCC and the CID? Perhaps the cable is damaged?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 07:17 AM   #3
Mpow3r_UK
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Le mans E90 335d

Hi

Yes it's the ccc.
Yes, there is a nav dvd but Eject button won't eject it.

I put in a cd into the cd drive to see if that would eject but that won't eject either.

I will be taking out the unit and will check connections for dvd/cd units
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
matt_s
Private
Rep
Drives: 330d e90

Had some similar issues on my 56 330d... end result was a new replacement fan on the back of the head unit. However I was lead there by a fault code... have you any faults showing?
Appreciate 0