E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > I cloned my MSV70 DME

02-16-2019, 08:05 AM   #2113
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
then I am corrected.

how does one go about finding the correct flash for this?
What are you specifically trying to flash? Euro 330i transmission software?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 06:25 PM   #2114
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

Hey guys I'm currently emailing Bimmerlabs about my problem but I wanted to capture it here too in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

I'm trying to flash 330i software to my 2011 328i.

I've downloaded and installed BMW standard tools to my C drive.

I'm having trouble with step 4 in the bimmerlabs.com/help guide.

I open winkfp.

I import all my .prg and .ipo files.

I choose expert mode.

Select 12msv80.prg and 12msv80.ipo.

But then when I enter "12" for the ecu address as the guide says to do, I get "error 106" in winkfp. "error on setting ecu-address."

Any advice on how to proceed?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 06:39 PM   #2115
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Why are you manually entering stuff in WinKFP? Just run the MSV70.bat file. It does all of that for you. All you need to do is set up the options for no boot write, no UIF and fast baudrate.

Try the .bat file first. If you get the error message still, verify that the .prg and .ipo files for MSV70 are there, and that you can communicate with the DME (identify it in INPA, read errors, etc).
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 06:56 PM   #2116
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Why are you manually entering stuff in WinKFP? Just run the MSV70.bat file. It does all of that for you. All you need to do is set up the options for no boot write, no UIF and fast baudrate.

Try the .bat file first. If you get the error message still, verify that the .prg and .ipo files for MSV70 are there, and that you can communicate with the DME (identify it in INPA, read errors, etc).
Thanks for fast response.

I was told over email that "I need to do step 4 or the flash will fail." I guess this isn't true.

Since my car is a 2011 328i, isnt it MSV80? or do i still use the msv70 files?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 11:27 PM   #2117
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraphantm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
then I am corrected.

how does one go about finding the correct flash for this?
What are you specifically trying to flash? Euro 330i transmission software?
He was talking about flash updating all the modules. He already has experience flashing the Bimmerlabs 330 tune.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 11:36 PM   #2118
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joester View Post

I was told over email that "I need to do step 4 or the flash will fail." I guess this isn't true.

Thanks!
oh man that's what happens when I fly at 900 miles per hour!

I thought you were asking about step 2. No, you don't need to do step 4. and yes, you have MSV80.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 11:55 PM   #2119
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!
Yes, whatever is in your projects file at Bimmerlabs. RSA delete then the bat file (standard 330 or no-maf version) that will execute everything for you. Just sit and watch the windshield wipers and lights go nuts till its over.
Appreciate 1
Joebie767.50
      05-02-2019, 09:34 PM   #2120
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Hass,

The guys on the N54 forums have been messing around withe a few tables to improve throttle response. I looked through the MSV70 files and found the same tables. Have you ever tried adjusting any of these?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-02-2019, 11:39 PM   #2121
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

No, I haven't. Pretty sure nobody else has either. I'll have to look at those in the disassembly.

Personally though I never had a problem with throttle response on my 6mt, but it might be worth looking into for those who have the 6at, which many have complained about poor throttle response (and incorrectly blame it on DBW).
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2019, 11:52 PM   #2122
Love The Drive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 MT N51

Quote:
No, I haven't. Pretty sure nobody else has either. I'll have to look at those in the disassembly.

Personally though I never had a problem with throttle response on my 6mt, but it might be worth looking into for those who have the 6at, which many have complained about poor throttle response (and incorrectly blame it on DBW).
Honestly might be one of the few who complain about throttle response on a manual transmission, but the car does have some throttle delay which alters drive-ability.

I learned to drive a manual on my father's 1995 525i and, comparing directly, it is much more difficult to rev-match while downshifting on the 2011 328i. I can still do it, but it takes so long that sometimes I resort to very slowly releasing the clutch instead of punching the gas pedal to money shift the way I was taught to in the 525i. It does take from the joy of driving.

Don't have a tune on the 328i, but from what others on the forum have said it is one fix to the issue.
      05-03-2019, 08:01 AM   #2123
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:

I did not transfer these maps to my latest latest 921 definition file but it looks like BMW is nurfing the throttle at low speeds and neutral. At least with the N54.

I have no idea what triggers "neutral" on the 6 speed. Does the gear lever need to be at neutral or just not in any specific gear?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 09:15 AM   #2124
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
I did not transfer these maps to my latest latest 921 definition file but it looks like BMW is nurfing the throttle at low speeds and neutral. At least with the N54.

I have no idea what triggers "neutral" on the 6 speed. Does the gear lever need to be at neutral or just not in any specific gear?
It uses RPM, VSS and clutch position to determine the gear.

These are stock 330i maps. The first set are similar to the N54 (the hand built XDFs always have weird axis placement, also I never scale to imperial units). AMT is the DCT/SMG mapping.

_cs_ is clutch switch intervention, _gs_ is gear switch, and _bas_ is basic correction.

The torque request (which I have long known about) is totally different - because with Valvetronic, the throttle is open most of the time anyway. Notice that it stops at 70% throttle position, and it's really open pretty much fully with only 20-30% pedal input. I don't think it will really help with throttle response.

I'm not sure if the others will either - maybe ip_fac_pv_bas_cor_*. The rest look pretty useless to me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 05:59 PM   #2125
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Just sit and watch the windshield wipers and lights go nuts till its over.
So I'm sitting in my car flashing the RSA delete as we speak and i thought you were kidding about the windshield wipers. Scared the crap out of me!

I'll update with how everything went in just a little bit here.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 06:33 PM   #2126
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Okay so the flash all went well and I went for a test drive.

Car feels great, but honestly I think I got myself overly hyped up for how much power the tune would add. It definitely feels stronger, especially in the upper RPMs, but in the past the only two other cars Ive ever tuned were both turbocharged... and a tune really wakes up turbo cars way more than an N/A car ever will. So I probably had some false expectations in the back of my head when in reality I would be going from 230hp --> 255hp which isn't really anything too crazy.

I've heard that maybe I'll feel more power out of it as the car sets its adaptions or something like that? Does the flashing process clear adaptions or do I need to do that manually myself? I don't know much about it.

Thanks to everyone over at Bimmerlabs for making this an easy, free process. Truly remarkable what you've done for the community!

I also have MILVs in my engine so I could tune for that and get even more power if I wanted to spend the money. Just did the 330i tune because it is free and all.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 07:09 PM   #2127
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Car feels great, but honestly I think I got myself overly hyped up for how much power the tune would add. It definitely feels stronger, especially in the upper RPMs, but in the past the only two other cars Ive ever tuned were both turbocharged... and a tune really wakes up turbo cars way more than an N/A car ever will. So I probably had some false expectations in the back of my head when in reality I would be going from 230hp --> 255hp which isn't really anything too crazy.

I've heard that maybe I'll feel more power out of it as the car sets its adaptions or something like that? Does the flashing process clear adaptions or do I need to do that manually myself? I don't know much about it.

Thanks to everyone over at Bimmerlabs for making this an easy, free process. Truly remarkable what you've done for the community!

I also have MILVs in my engine so I could tune for that and get even more power if I wanted to spend the money. Just did the 330i tune because it is free and all.
Well, hassmachine and company can help you with the mil tune. But yeah, reset adaptations via INPA/ISTA (or there's the key & pedal method). IIRC, you could actually reset them all if you weren't up for a smog test soon. But that will liven it up a bit and give it's potential quicker.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 02:41 AM   #2128
dwsavenko
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Quote:

Hey Joester!

Did you install a 3 stage intake (w/ Disa's)? I went through all of this over the past year, and just finally getting to the final stage.

I have a 128i, w/ installed 3 stage manifold, and a Euro IAT sensor. I installed the latest tune from Bimmerlabs, (No Maf tune) x28i to x30i and the power and torque is amazing over stock. I can redline out each gear with ease, and the car brings many smiles now. The biggest difference was getting the better intake manifold and less restrictive MAF (Euro IAT).

There are some differences to the car without, but it's still compressed a bit. I highly recommend spending a few hundred more and getting things setup correctly. Also leave Hass and the team at Bimmerlabs some goodwill!! It's truly is amazing how much effort and work they put into our non-turbo community.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 01:28 PM   #2129
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsavenko View Post
Hey Joester!

Did you install a 3 stage intake (w/ Disa's)? I went through all of this over the past year, and just finally getting to the final stage.

I have a 128i, w/ installed 3 stage manifold, and a Euro IAT sensor. I installed the latest tune from Bimmerlabs, (No Maf tune) x28i to x30i and the power and torque is amazing over stock. I can redline out each gear with ease, and the car brings many smiles now. The biggest difference was getting the better intake manifold and less restrictive MAF (Euro IAT).

There are some differences to the car without, but it's still compressed a bit. I highly recommend spending a few hundred more and getting things setup correctly. Also leave Hass and the team at Bimmerlabs some goodwill!! It's truly is amazing how much effort and work they put into our non-turbo community.
Yes of course I've got the manifold, however I only visually checked the DISA valves (they looked great, the car I got the manifold from claimed to only have 33k miles on it). Maybe I should check their function now that I've got INPA set up and everything. I've got the regular (maf) 330i tune. Not the mafless.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 06:32 PM   #2130
dwsavenko
Rep

Yes indeed, when I bought my manifold the motors in the DISA's were pretty oiled up. I think 2006 intake manifolds were a bad batch, and were more prone to DISA problems. If you had a later model donor you may be okay. I had to take my DISA's apart and clean up oil out of the DC motor. Also the arm was worn out on the larger unit and I had to use a screw to repair it's functionality. Some others sell rebuild kits as well.

You can certainly use INPA to check, see this guys video:

They should open and close smoothly on one press of the button. If they are sticking, opening halfway, or not consistently.. then there is a problem. Usually the larger DISA goes first.

Also Joe.. which flash file are you using? Are you using the regular x28i to x30i, or the MAFless tune? I have noticed with the MAFless tune my Cruise Control stopped working, and have noticed this on another post from a member in the forum as well. Everything was good with the normal file, but something is up with the MAFless variant. I asked Hass to have a look, I'm thinking the MAFless tune file is more generic, and may not have the right coding for certain car's exclusively. I love the MAFless tune much better though. Much smoother, better torque, and better feeling. I also bought the Euro IAT this week, so my restriction is gone in the air intake.

Last edited by dwsavenko; 05-04-2019 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #2131
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsavenko View Post
Yes indeed, when I bought my manifold the motors in the DISA's were pretty oiled up. I think 2006 intake manifolds were a bad batch, and were more prone to DISA problems. If you had a later model donor you may be okay. I had to take my DISA's apart and clean up oil out of the DC motor. Also the arm was worn out on the larger unit and I had to use a screw to repair it's functionality. Some others sell rebuild kits as well.

They should open and close smoothly on one press of the button. If they are sticking, opening halfway, or not consistently.. then there is a problem. Usually the larger DISA goes first.

Also Joe.. which flash file are you using? Are you using the regular x28i to x30i, or the MAFless tune? I have noticed with the MAFless tune my Cruise Control stopped working, and have noticed this on another post from a member in the forum as well. Everything was good with the normal file, but something is up with the MAFless variant. I asked Hass to have a look, I'm thinking the MAFless tune file is more generic, and may not have the right coding for certain car's exclusively. I love the MAFless tune much better though. Much smoother, better torque, and better feeling. I also bought the Euro IAT this week, so my restriction is gone in the air intake.
The regular 330i tune (NOT the mafless one)

I've actuated my DISAs in INPA, and heard them actuating, but I have not visually inspected them actuating.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 05:57 PM   #2132
dwsavenko
Rep

Ahh right on. I believe you can try the MAF-less tune even without the Euro IAT. It will use just part of the sensor of the regular MAF.

Only takes a few minutes to flash the .ODA file, and you can go back between both to get a sense of the different tunes. You don't need to flash the .OPA (RSA delete) again.

For the large DISA test, you can just take off your main air-inlet, and take off the DISA holding screws, I was able to back it out far enough to see if it was moving properly, without removing too much stuff. Good piece of mind.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2019, 10:00 AM   #2133
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

So I noticed today on a long drive that my cruise control no longer works after doing the RSA delete and flashing the base 330i tune.

I had seen comments about this but I was under the impression that this was only an issue on the maf-less tune?

Any way to get my cruise control to work again and keep the 330i tune? I don't use cruise often but when I do, I really appreciate having it.

Thanks!

hassmaschine
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 10:53 AM   #2134
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

the 328i no-maf tune doesn't currently work with cruise control. Whatever model it was based on probably didn't have it. I'm working on fixing that but haven't had time to finish it yet.

Cruise control should work fine with the MAF tune though as it's based on the stock US tune.
Appreciate 1