E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Inexpensive lower rear shock mount Monroe 907985

06-13-2018, 07:37 AM   #23
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
Soooo....how's everyone's Monroe rear upper shock mount kit and lower shock mount working out for everyone long-term?? Any issues??
Over two years without any issue.
Appreciate 1
Jklad421.00
      06-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #24
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Over two days without any issue
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 5
feuer4275.50
Jklad421.00
      01-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #25
mckwong
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i E90 LCI with N51

I want to share my experience about this Monroe mount. I tried to install them with my new rear shocks, but one of the nut's thread is defective as the bolt could only go in 1/4" and would stop. I was hand turning it, so I was not cross threading it. I tried many times thinking the shock was not in the straight position, but it was not that. Eventually, I used a wrench to force turn it and the nut rotated from the rubber! The mount is slightly bigger than stock that made the shock hard to pull out from the hole. After hours of frustration, I ended up pulling it out and installed the shock using the old stock mount, which seemed to be still in good condition.

I would not recommend this mount. If you have to use it, use the bolt to try both nuts and make sure the threads are good before attempting installation. Frankly, I would just go with stock mounts if I have to do it again and save myself from headache.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 09:14 PM   #26
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Above is probably installer error. Might be case of defective part but even so was any easy fix. Socket goes on the nut. Or will rotate into the rubber. I have installed quite few of these without any issues at all.
Appreciate 4
Jklad421.00
BSM n54iS2684.50
lab_rat394.50
      01-03-2019, 12:33 PM   #27
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckwong View Post
I want to share my experience about this Monroe mount. I tried to install them with my new rear shocks, but one of the nut's thread is defective as the bolt could only go in 1/4" and would stop. I was hand turning it, so I was not cross threading it. I tried many times thinking the shock was not in the straight position, but it was not that. Eventually, I used a wrench to force turn it and the nut rotated from the rubber! The mount is slightly bigger than stock that made the shock hard to pull out from the hole. After hours of frustration, I ended up pulling it out and installed the shock using the old stock mount, which seemed to be still in good condition.

I would not recommend this mount. If you have to use it, use the bolt to try both nuts and make sure the threads are good before attempting installation. Frankly, I would just go with stock mounts if I have to do it again and save myself from headache.
First case of this being reported here...mine went on just fine a few months ago
      01-04-2019, 08:02 PM   #28
mckwong
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Above is probably installer error. Might be case of defective part but even so was any easy fix. Socket goes on the nut. Or will rotate into the rubber. I have installed quite few of these without any issues at all.
Maybe you missed the part I said the thread of the nut is defective. The nut was molded to the rubber, and you don't need a socket to go on to the nut to install the mount. Since the thread of the nut is defective, the bolt is not completely straight when thread on to the nut. If I had used a socket on the nut to force it, I think I would cross thread the aluminum bolt and damaged the bolt. (I know, I should have changed the aluminum bolts anyway, but I didn't order them so I re-used the old bolts.)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 08:06 PM   #29
mckwong
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
First case of this being reported here...mine went on just fine a few months ago
Only one nut of the two mounts is bad. The first mount was good and installed fine. Monroe probably just used poor hardware, and I was lucky enough to get it.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 09:47 PM   #30
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe you missed the part I said the thread of the nut is defective. The nut was molded to the rubber, and you don't need a socket to go on to the nut to install the mount. Since the thread of the nut is defective, the bolt is not completely straight when thread on to the nut. If I had used a socket on the nut to force it, I think I would cross thread the aluminum bolt and damaged the bolt. (I know, I should have changed the aluminum bolts anyway, but I didn't order them so I re-used the old bolts.)
I didn't miss anything. That is why it's a nut that is molded into the rubber and not just some threaded insert. If you noticed thread is bad you should have at least attempt to fix it prior continuing with the installation. It was either truly defective or you cross threaded. We don't know. Also, next time you are under there go ahead removed these bolts, pick them with a magnet tool, and report back if they are aluminum.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2019, 06:34 PM   #31
mckwong
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
I didn't miss anything. That is why it's a nut that is molded into the rubber and not just some threaded insert. If you noticed thread is bad you should have at least attempt to fix it prior continuing with the installation. It was either truly defective or you cross threaded. We don't know. Also, next time you are under there go ahead removed these bolts, pick them with a magnet tool, and report back if they are aluminum.
I stand corrected. Those bolts should be part number 33526764406 according to RealOEM.com, and is 10.9 alloy. However, I don't think I cross threaded the nut as I took extra precaution and was finger turning the bolt in as I thought they were aluminum. I am sorry but I should not need to repair the thread of the nut in order to use a new mount. In my book, that is poor quality. Is it so hard for you to believe Monroe made some defective mounts because you have never encountered one?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 07:48 PM   #32
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I stand corrected. Those bolts should be part number 33526764406 according to RealOEM.com, and is 10.9 alloy. However, I don't think I cross threaded the nut as I took extra precaution and was finger turning the bolt in as I thought they were aluminum. I am sorry but I should not need to repair the thread of the nut in order to use a new mount. In my book, that is poor quality. Is it so hard for you to believe Monroe made some defective mounts because you have never encountered one?
I can certainly accept defective product from any manufacturer. That wasn't the point of my argument. I'm not Monroe. I don't take any devidends from Monroe either. Also I'm very quick to dismiss products if issues are discovered. Probably quicker than you are
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 06:59 AM   #33
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

These are not available locally in my country (Australia) unfortunately. I imported a pair of Monroe rear upper mounts to go with a full set of Monroe OESpectrum shocks (GT Gas option is no longer available apparently, and there is not much info about this new line). I was not aware of the Monroe rear lower mounts so i bought Lemforders and new bolts.

No issues installing the top mounts apart from the painful task of tightening the top nut (Monroe shock shaft does not have a hex end to counter hold, you have to use an open spanner which gets in the way).

I had no issues with the nuts of the lower mounts. I even impacted the old ones off, wound the old bolts into the old mounts and noticed no wobble or weakness. I did not counterhold the nuts of the new Lemforders when I tightened and torqued the new threadlocked bolts.
Perhaps the Lemforder nuts are tack welded to the metal frame of the mount which makes them more forgiving? I can imagine a new bolt's threadlock compound could rip a nut that is just bonded to the rubber but the installer should be feeling the nut twisting in the rubber and act accordingly to prevent further damage.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      08-05-2019, 12:18 AM   #34
Demz760
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 335i  [0.00]
KYB SM5767 Lower Mounts x2: $ 27.22