E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Did I put just 2 1/2 qt in Transmission??!!!

12-23-2018, 08:26 PM   #1
masterh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i

Did I put just 2 1/2 qt in Transmission??!!!

So I brought Plastic oil pan kit and Dextron VI x6 to self serve garage to do the fluid changes.

I realized it has a metal pan (GM tranny) so I decided to just do the fluid.

I opened the Fill Plug first (about 20 minutes after driving a car for 40 min) The oil came out crazy. I didn't expect that much from the fill plug. and then I also opened the Drain plug. Good amount of oil came out as well.

The oil went straight into those big tank at the shop. So I didn't measure it.

I filled it through the Fill plug. At 3rd qt, oil started to come out.

I capped the plug, started the car, did some idling and shit through gears just like everyone talks about.

I reopened the plug and no oil was coming out. It started to come out again after I added just little more of oil.

I figured maybe lots of oil didn't come out since I didn't drop the oil pan.

I think I drained the oil more than 3qt just by guessing. But I couldn't just fill it while the oil overflows. I capped it when it was coming out in Thin stream.

And then, while driving home, I remembered the oil came out crazy (like drain plug from regular oil plug) from the Fill Plug

What did I do wrong??? Am I driving with 2 1/2 qt of oil in Tranny?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 02:29 PM   #2
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

No, your tranny holds a lot more in the gears and in the filter system - you'd see a bunch dump more if you dropped the pan/filter.

But to confirm, you got the tranny all the way up to operating temp, shifted through, LEFT THE CAR ON, while you tried to fill more right?

I had the fill plug round out on me so I've been filling from the dipstick bung on the top ledge of the transmission. Even on my third drain and swap I had about 4 or 5L go in after a drain. <3L doesn't seem right even without a pan/filter drop.

You could drive it a few days and then try and fill again. That might give it a good opportunity to make its way through the system and find the pockets, so to speak.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Most of the automatic transmission fluid is held in the torque converter and that won't drain out during a simple drain and refill.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 09:46 PM   #4
AlisoBob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Thats why its best to drain, refill, run for a few minutes, drain and refill again. Doing so replaced about 90% of the trans fluid.
Appreciate 0