E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Fstool Hell!!

12-28-2018, 12:19 PM   #1
FunkyProtein
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series 2008 220D

Fstool Hell!!

Hi All

just had my CIC flashed to C1A. Im now in a position to update the FSC codes but im having issues with FSTOOL 32. It will either not connect, or if i try another installation, it wont install.

im using win 7 64 bit. Is that ok?

Does anyone have alternate downloads for FSTOOL 32 at all please? And the carserver files too if poss. Hell, if you have that and the java download needed ill take it!

Please help! im so close!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 03:21 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Lots of people have problems with FS Tool. I don't use it. I use Esys but you'd need an ICOM or ENET cable.

You could try Dr Gini. As your CIC is installed from factory things should be simple. The patch applied ok yes?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 03:54 AM   #3
FunkyProtein
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Lots of people have problems with FS Tool. I don't use it. I use Esys but you'd need an ICOM or ENET cable.

You could try Dr Gini. As your CIC is installed from factory things should be simple. The patch applied ok yes?
Hi Sensible

Yes patch applied fine now with no issues at all. Fstools is such a pain to work with. Sometimes the connection fails sometimes its fine but I'm unable to open some options for browsing files. Multiple versions of java used.... Hate it.

Dr gini should be able to perform the same function as fstools? I've not used it before will have to try. I only have the dcan cable

Thanks mate
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 03:57 AM   #4
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyProtein View Post
Quote:

Hi Sensible

Yes patch applied fine now with no issues at all. Fstools is such a pain to work with. Sometimes the connection fails sometimes its fine but I'm unable to open some options for browsing files. Multiple versions of java used.... Hate it.

Dr gini should be able to perform the same function as fstools? I've not used it before will have to try. I only have the dcan cable

Thanks mate
Ah, I think that's where your problem lies. I don't think DCAN is good enough for what you want. You'll need a cheap ENET cable or ICOM. I always use ICOM or ENET and it's fine. I don't think you can read the FSC files with DCAN. The chipsets mess it up...

If I were you I'd go ESYS ENET route.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 04:02 AM   #5
FunkyProtein
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hi Sensible

Thanks mate
Ah, I think that's where your problem lies. I don't think DCAN is good enough for what you want. You'll need a cheap ENET cable or ICOM. I always use ICOM or ENET and it's fine. I don't think you can read the FSC files with DCAN. The chipsets mess it up...

Ah man.....

Enet cable it is then. Thanks sensible I'll try searching ebay for one.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 11:14 AM   #6
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hi Sensible

Thanks mate

Ah man.....

Enet cable it is then. Thanks sensible I'll try searching ebay for one.
If you have a usb Ethernet adapter you can also use that with the glovebox usb.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 04:59 PM   #7
FunkyProtein
Private
Rep

Hi Sensible

Ive ordered this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253915464019

I have a star tech usb to ethernet adapter at work but wanted to keep in line with what everyone else uses.

Once ive got that, is it just a matter of firing up FSTOOL 32 and connecting to then follow the guide you sent in another forum for updating the FSC certs?

Do I have to configure anything else at all? I heard of Ediabas been mentioned on some threads that it needs to be configured for this cable? If so, can you point me in the right direction please mate?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 05:03 AM   #8
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hi Sensible

I have a star tech usb to ethernet adapter at work but wanted to keep in line with what everyone else uses.

Once ive got that, is it just a matter of firing up FSTOOL 32 and connecting to then follow the guide you sent in another forum for updating the FSC certs?

Do I have to configure anything else at all? I heard of Ediabas been mentioned on some threads that it needs to be configured for this cable? If so, can you point me in the right direction please mate?

Thanks
I only use ESYS to be honest. It works very well for FSC jobs. You don't need ediabas installed for Esys.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 06:55 AM   #9
FunkyProtein
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Sensible

Thanks
I only use ESYS to be honest. It works very well for FSC jobs. You don't need ediabas installed for Esys.
So esys is the way forward for applying new fsc codes? Fstool is dreadful
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 07:53 AM   #10
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Sensible

Thanks
So esys is the way forward for applying new fsc codes? Fstool is dreadful
I prefer ESYS yes. I use Esys to read the 1B (CIC) or DE (NBT) file and then use CIC_NBT Generator by Jaeger on this forum to calculate FSC code from the file. (For map update)

In your case you use Esys for uploading certs.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 10:22 AM   #11
FunkyProtein
Private
Rep

Thanks Sensible. ENET finally arrived after a delay from Christmas break. Ill hopefully get chance to give this a go tonight. I've downloaded a virtual machine that has been pre configured for use with Esys so I haven't had the hassle of installing and configuring. I think iv found a rough guide on how to upload certs, fingers crossed this will finally end!!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 10:33 AM   #12
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Sensible. ENET finally arrived after a delay from Christmas break. Ill hopefully get chance to give this a go tonight. I've downloaded a virtual machine that has been pre configured for use with Esys so I haven't had the hassle of installing and configuring. I think iv found a rough guide on how to upload certs, fingers crossed this will finally end!!
Great. Let us know if you have any problems.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 04:49 PM   #13
FunkyProtein
Private
Rep

Hi Sensible.

Connected and got an IP from the car fine from looking in network adapter settings. However, was unable to connect with esys. ZGW Search didnt return any results and couldnt move on from there.

Is there anything that I need to change or configure once plugged in ENET?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 04:50 PM   #14
FunkyProtein
Private
Rep

I am using a VM for this that was preconfigured for use with esys.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 05:07 PM   #15
FunkyProtein
Private
Rep

Got the VM from here https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1#post24238737

Going to see if I can download esys and install locally on my laptop for this and cut the VM out
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 06:46 PM   #16
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

I was about to say, I'm not sure you need VM anymore. But I'll defer to others.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 06:47 AM   #17
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Just install esys fresh. You don't need esys launcher either for FSC Extended Coding.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh.../983244?page=1
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 05:09 PM   #18
FunkyProtein
Private
Rep

Finally sorted it! It's done. I changed some parameters in fstool 32 as I read somewhere and followed the info I had and all worked. So happy.

Although since my cic has been updated I'm now getting 'please wait' when clicking on telephone so unable to pair my phone. Any ideas?

I've also got a warning about a rear right brake light out but all looks well. I recently had the unit replaced as the led strip light died. Not sure if it's coincidence
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 05:33 AM   #19
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 M-Sport

Hi Funky,

Im also having problems with FSTOOL....

I have ista (both p and d) and inpa and ncsexpert and winkfp all working perfectly.

FSTOOL does not want to work, with either eth lead or kdnan...

What parapeters did you change?

TIA

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 12:48 PM   #20
pelon222
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

Quote:
Finally sorted it! It's done. I changed some parameters in fstool 32 as I read somewhere and followed the info I had and all worked. So happy.

Although since my cic has been updated I'm now getting 'please wait' when clicking on telephone so unable to pair my phone. Any ideas?

I've also got a warning about a rear right brake light out but all looks well. I recently had the unit replaced as the led strip light died. Not sure if it's coincidence
I had the same issue with one of my brake lights it lit up fine but was still getting the warning, I replaced the bulb and it went away.
Appreciate 0