E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Tensioner cracked probable cause for cracked block causing weird oil leak?!?

01-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #23
MarkN54
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335xi 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Let's have more pics of the engine bay...oil is obviously coming down from the top.

What's the status of your PCV system? Could oil be pushing it's way through the Valve Cover? These are the things you need to be looking for, especially since this only seems to happen when there's load placed on the engine itself.
Valve cover is dry oil is traveling lower than the valve cover
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 01:13 PM   #24
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

could it be the oil pressure switch right there?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #25
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Let's have more pics of the engine bay...oil is obviously coming down from the top.

What's the status of your PCV system? Could oil be pushing it's way through the Valve Cover? These are the things you need to be looking for, especially since this only seems to happen when there's load placed on the engine itself.

I just bought a Vargas pCv valve, makes sense that it could be that bc it only happens under load and I read up somewhere I’ll post it here it said a bad pcv can cause smoke outta the tail pipe which is happening to me, and it could also cause external leaks from not holding boost pressure... I hope this is it
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-12-2019, 10:07 AM   #26
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

From your last photo, it looks like there's a trace of oil from above. You need to clean everything as well as possible, make sure there is no residual from leaks/repairs, then check again.

Oh, and buy the right torque wrench for your 7th OFHG replacement.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 11:18 AM   #27
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
From your last photo, it looks like there's a trace of oil from above. You need to clean everything as well as possible, make sure there is no residual from leaks/repairs, then check again.

Did you actually read through the whole post before commenting? The areas to which the leak seems to be coming from is pretty damn clean. Look at the pics he posted on page 1 down at the end, you can see clearly that it's golden oil coming down so I think the area is pretty well cleaned. It definitely doesn't look like it's coming from the OFHG from the pictures.
      01-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #28
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTO335i View Post
Did you actually read through the whole post before commenting? The areas to which the leak seems to be coming from is pretty damn clean. Look at the pics he posted on page 1 down at the end, you can see clearly that it's golden oil coming down so I think the area is pretty well cleaned. It definitely doesn't look like it's coming from the OFHG from the pictures.
I did, or so I thought, but where I was mistaken was referencing the wrong photo(my laptop was showing post #22 as the last post at the time)...so, I meant that in the photo in post #22, "you can see clearly that it's golden oil coming down" from above. If it was clean, but now there's oil, wtf does that tell you?

I also didn't say it was coming from the OFHG. It was a second thought, hence a second paragraph...but I was referring to him already replacing the gasket "6" times, and...

A. He has another one
B. He's about to replace it again
C. He didn't use a torque wrench the first 6 times
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      01-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #29
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Leaking from bottom of OFH. Replace again, use quality gasket, new bolts, proper torque, no silicone.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 01:42 PM   #30
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Leaking from bottom of OFH. Replace again, use quality gasket, new bolts, proper torque, no silicone.
He replcaed it 7 times now tho so it can't possibly be it... or maybe install error but I mean idk haha.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 04:12 PM   #31
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I did, or so I thought, but where I was mistaken was referencing the wrong photo(my laptop was showing post #22 as the last post at the time)...so, I meant that in the photo in post #22, "you can see clearly that it's golden oil coming down" from above. If it was clean, but now there's oil, wtf does that tell you?

I also didn't say it was coming from the OFHG. It was a second thought, hence a second paragraph...but I was referring to him already replacing the gasket "6" times, and...

A. He has another one
B. He's about to replace it again
C. He didn't use a torque wrench the first 6 times
Lol what I'm saying is that it was clean and then he drove it and the golden oil is the fresh leak... If it was dirty the oil would have dried and turned black by now as it collects dusk and whatnot. That's what this tells me!
      01-12-2019, 04:15 PM   #32
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I also don't think it's that.. I think he did use silicone this time as you can see it in the pics. Looks more like it could be coming from the oil pressure switch as someone mentioned.
      01-12-2019, 05:11 PM   #33
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I also don't think it's that.. I think he did use silicone this time as you can see it in the pics. Looks more like it could be coming from the oil pressure switch as someone mentioned.
Post #23 second photo I see fresh oil running by the bottom bolt. Oil pressure switch is on the other side of OFH and won't leak on the front.
Appreciate 1
OTO335i144.50
      01-12-2019, 05:25 PM   #34
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Post #23 second photo I see fresh oil running by the bottom bolt. Oil pressure switch is on the other side of OFH and won't leak on the front.
Oh wait you're right, that's the coolant temp sensor that i see, my bad! Do you think if it's leaking from the bottom bolt that it would make its way onto the block? I would think it would make its way directly onto the belt?
      01-12-2019, 05:30 PM   #35
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Lol what I'm saying is that it was clean and then he drove it and the golden oil is the fresh leak... If it was dirty the oil would have dried and turned black by now as it collects dusk and whatnot. That's what this tells me!
Lol at you. Look at the photo in post 22, see the traces of clean/fresh oil up above the head gasket? Yes, not as much as below it, but if that isn't part of the leak, then it, along with all other traces of fresh oil need to be cleaned before you can try and determine the location of a leak. I didn't say anything about old, dirty oil and grime. I'm looking at all traces of fresh oil.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      01-12-2019, 05:37 PM   #36
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh wait you're right, that's the coolant temp sensor that i see, my bad! Do you think if it's leaking from the bottom bolt that it would make its way onto the block? I would think it would make its way directly onto the belt?
It will run down on the engine. Leak of this size won't drip on the belt.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 05:39 PM   #37
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
could it be the oil pressure switch right there?
That is on the other side and on the OFH itself. Won't leak up front.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 09:39 PM   #38
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:

22nm isn’t that much torque it’s pretty much hand tight, plus won’t OFH leak when car is at idle? My leak only happens once I drive it about 400 feet or so doesn’t leak when at idle, same with revving the car, doesn’t leak. I’ve tried a bunch of things, oil switch is not leaking. I heard that a pcv valve when it’s broken causes to much crankcase pressure causing external oil leaks from the valve cover or OFH etc. so I bought a new one and putting it on Monday night see if it makes a difference if not then what else? Lmfaoo crazy car
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 01:33 PM   #39
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
It will run down on the engine. Leak of this size won't drip on the belt.

Alright guys, replaced the pcv valve, car boosted different felt much better still had the same oil leak, replaced the intake manifold gaskets just to see if anything from there would leak, same stupid problem.! I’m so stuck on this situation is there anything else you guys could come up with that would cause this weird oil leak?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #40
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkN54 View Post
Alright guys, replaced the pcv valve, car boosted different felt much better still had the same oil leak, replaced the intake manifold gaskets just to see if anything from there would leak, same stupid problem.! I’m so stuck on this situation is there anything else you guys could come up with that would cause this weird oil leak?
Remove and clean the OFH assembly. Post photos from it and the head mating surface.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #41
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Remove and clean the OFH assembly. Post photos from it and the head mating surface.
Alright man I think that’s what imma do, I’m gonna take the manifold off again and OFH clean everything with a stem cleaner and cleaner then I will post pictures. I’m off tomaro will do everything tomaro

Thank you guys for quick responses really appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 03:16 PM   #42
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkN54 View Post
Alright man I think that’s what imma do, I’m gonna take the manifold off again and OFH clean everything with a stem cleaner and cleaner then I will post pictures. I’m off tomaro will do everything tomaro

Thank you guys for quick responses really appreciate it
No need to completely remove the manifold. Just space out enough from the head to access the rear bolt.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 04:10 PM   #43
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
No need to completely remove the manifold. Just space out enough from the head to access the rear bolt.
I know that lmfaoo I just want to take good pictures of everything with a lot of space so I could post here and maybe you guys can see something I can’t see
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 08:29 AM   #44
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Good morning guys, I completely forgot to mention this if this helps with anything, when I first bought the car I changed the OFHG, when I took off the cap for the oil filter it didn’t have that clip on stem that the oil filter sits on, could that caused any problems? I bought a new cap since then but could that cause any pressure issues? I’m working on the car rn give me about 1 hour and I will send pictures of the OFH off and manifold off

Thanks
Appreciate 0