E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > Project "Sapphire" Has Begun

04-07-2015, 10:53 AM   #111
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 328i E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokungkin View Post
Hi Isaiash, what suspension did you end up getting? Do you have update to http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1040658 ?
I ended up just keeping the stock suspension with the lowering perches like I had before. Turns out they did use the lowering perches after the repair after all...the suspension just hadn't settled yet.

The car is "lowered" in the rear by a heavy a** retractable roof, a subwoofer box and a spare tire kit. (I think it would be rubbing if it were any lower in the rear.)
"O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colours, and lay thy foundations with sapphires." (Isaiah 54:11)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 05:06 PM   #112
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Project Performance Underway - Part Deux

Here's what has transpired over the past month or so:

1) BMW Performance Exhaust - Installed 3-20-15. Thanks, Evan@Tischer!
2) "Eurobox" air intake with K&N filter - Installed 3-27-15 along with #3.
3) 3.0 Intake manifold conversion - Used one just fell into my lap. Installed 3-27-15 along with #2
4) Active Autowerke 3-stage manifold tune - Ended up getting G5 tool to install tune myself (or have my mechanic do it). First version (for 3.0 manifold) Installed 3-27-15 immediately after #2 and #3 above were in place.

Glad I got the G5 tool! First tune triggered limp mode 4-5 times over the following two days. Replaced the stock tune and limp mode disappeared. Each limp mode showed the following fault codes:

0. Motor Control:
<--------------------------->
Engine / Motor:
- Fault: DME digital motor electronics, internal error: actual torque control
- Code: 002D59
<===========================>
1. ABS / DSC / Brake:
Dynamische Stabilitaets Kontrolle / DSC:
- Fault: Engine torque is not adjustable CAN
- Code: 005E19
3. Transmission Control:
Transmission / Getriebe GS 19:
- Fault: :K-Can Bus off
- Code: 00CF17 (Note: This code was there before the tune and never clears.)
- Fault: sorry, unknown DTC fault
- Code: 005817

All of these could be cleared with the BMWhat adapter/iPhone after the event EXCEPT for the 00CF17, which has been there since I got the BMWhat and never goes away with clearing. But each of these recurred after each limp mode event. I knew very little about coding and searched to find exactly what these codes (old and recent) meant and how to deal with them but without much success. Called my mechanics and they figured there was a problem with the writing of the tune with it creating a software conflict. (But...why MY car out of all the ones with AA tunes, the vast majority of which had no trouble??)

So, my mechanic/friend snuck my car into the BMW dealership and updated the software, which had never been done since it was born in 10/07. We all hoped for the best, but...the limp mode returned as soon as we put the full 3-stage tune back in.

Worked closely with Pedro and Andrew at AA (who were great, BTW!) to come up with a series of Revisions in increasing order of aggressiveness to try to pinpoint the source of limp mode. With Revision 3 in the car (lacking the throttle maps) and it running well, I went on a long drive and pushed the car hard, doing a number of launches, some being brake launches.

Finally...after doing one last brake launch, the car started squealing like a belt was slipping and it threw a exhaust vanos solenoid code (2A87). Aha!!! This made sense: My vanos solenoids had to removed and cleaned after some oil leaks were fixed back in January and some crud had gotten intro the system (which already had oil that was approaching servicing and "looked HORRIBLE", according to my mechanic). Gonna stop using the BMW recommended oil service intervals.

So, I ordered two new solenoids from Tischer (thanks again, Evan!!!), opting to replace rather than just clean in an attempt to rule something out for good. I also cleaned my MAF sensor the morning of "surgery". I then waited 36 hours post-op and reinstalled the full AA tune with throttle maps.

And...I am very happy to report that I have put 100+ miles on the full AA tune and no limp mode events have occurred and no fault codes have been thrown.

I am very pleased with the results of Project Performance. I know this heavy-as-lead convertible will never be fast, but she feels and sounds faster. The pedal-throttle lag is gone and she moves smoothly through all rpms, with the biggest performance gains being noted at highway speeds: She jumps to 80-100mph almost too quickly with my lead foot.

My only "complaint" (the magnitude of which depends totally on my mood) is how loud the PE is in the convertible. Despite all of the cosmetic mods (which were done to make the car look "right" to me), I am not a "look at me" kinda guy and don't wanna be thrown into that "suped-up car" category by the casual observer (including my wife), so...I am considering the placement of a Vibrant Resonator (1794) where the straight midpipe is in the PE (where the resonator is in the stock exhaust).

In fact, the resonator will be delivered tomorrow (Monday) and may be in place by noon on Tuesday. We'll see what the PE sounds like then - maybe 15-20% less volume, a little less burbling and "drone" (when loading the engine in 6th gear), and a slightly lower overall exhaust note???

And...if the resonator does too much.....................I guess I'll order headers!
"O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colours, and lay thy foundations with sapphires." (Isaiah 54:11)

Last edited by Isaiah5411; 04-26-2015 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 07:29 AM   #113
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

PE+Vibrant 1794=E93 Perfection

My curiosity finally got the best of me, so...I decided to have the Vibrant 1794 Bottle Resonator I ordered 3 weeks ago installed into my Performance Exhaust. I was starting to get used to the volume of the PE in my convertible but there were times when it was simply too loud for my taste.

I know, I know "Then why did you buy the thing?". Because...everything I read about it was that it was the perfect exhaust, many stating that it was too quiet for their taste. I wanted an upgrade - in both sound and performance, to match the 3 stage manifold and Eurobox - but did want to have a car that screamed "after market exhaust". Almost everyone who reviewed the PE was driving a coupe. One of the only vert reviews I read said it was too loud for them...and they got lambasted for saying such a thing.

So...I got the PE and developed a love/not-so- much-in-love relationship with it. At times, it was just what I needed, usually when I had the need for speed. But there were other times when it was just a bit obnoxious, drawing stares like "Who does he think HE is?" And there were times when it was a bit too loud to have a comfortable conversation or listen to music...all when the top was down. If the top was up it was perfect...and perfect all of the time.

I started looking at resonators and a picture of the PE that I had downloaded and saw that a 12" resonator (total length; 9.5" resonator body) would fit perfectly in the straight midpipe area (where the stock resonator used to be). I read about Vibrant and it seemed like a good choice so I ordered one. (http://amzn.to/1FeBAu3) I showed it to my muffler guy and asked him about quality and he said it looked great. So, I took it into him this AM and had him install it. Took him 15 mins and he charged me $35.

I was hoping that the resonator would reduce the overall volume by 20-30%, cut some of the higher frequency out ("rasp", mainly at WOT) and reduce the "drone" (that low frequency sound that can be quite loud,even with the PE, when you load the engine in 5th or 6th gear going 40-60 mph) and maybe reduce the crackles and burbles slightly.

And....it did ALL of these things just as I had hoped! I am very happy with the results. I would say the volume is somewhere between 75-78% of the original PE sound, the "drone" is almost gone, the burbles are still quite noticeable (which I like!) and the crackles are 60% of what they were...kinda like you turned down the treble a good bit.

To me, the sound is perfect...a refined sound that says quality German vehicle with some power but not a JDM type sound that everyone hears and looks for a lowrider with a teenager inside.

Here's a clip I did on the way home. I have the windows down about 75% of the way and used an external microphone on my iPhone 5s. Note: I was not looking through the camera while driving. Also, the speed limit on this road was 45mph and this stretch of highway was known for its speed traps, thus the quick shut downs after reaching 60 mph.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #114
Nar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i 6MT

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Oh yes, Montego blue
Your carbon leather trim makes me so jealous
      05-11-2015, 01:12 PM   #115
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarekN54 View Post
Oh yes, Montego blue
Your carbon leather trim makes me so jealous
Glad you like. I'll trade it for your engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 01:16 PM   #116
Nar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i 6MT

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah5411 View Post
Glad you like. I'll trade it for your engine.
hmmm.. seems fair
What mod are you gonna do next? Anything else planned?
      05-11-2015, 04:32 PM   #117
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarekN54 View Post
hmmm.. seems fair
What mod are you gonna do next? Anything else planned?
Cool!!

No further plans at the moment. But...that never means anything, right? The performance mods I've done recently have satisfied the mod monster for a while. I've always wanted to do the Msport front and rear but just can't make myself spend those bucks.

In my area, hardly anyone mods their BMW - at least not cosmetically - so mine stands out like a sore thumb. Now she has a more aggressive sound to go along with her simple but unique-for-my-area looks.

Wait...how much are those headers again?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 12:20 PM   #118
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Back from the dead...

Well...had a little fender bender last week that (finally) made me order a new rear bumper.

Thanks to Evan @ GetBMWParts.com (You forever da man, Evan!!!), I have coming:

1) M Sport rear bumper (sold in a reasonably priced bundle thanks to Evan)
2) iS rear diffuser
3) new left rear tail light

I also ordered the M3-style side skirts from **********s (shipped THE next day) to "complete" the look.

I say "complete" because I am considering:

1) A CF front lip splitter to add-on to the M Aero from lip (from either **********s or JL Motoring), and
2) CF side skirts extensions from **********s or another supplier.

Sooo....

What do you guys think about the CF front lip splitter under the Aero lip?? I am considering having the Aero lip molded onto the front bumper so it doesn't have that "add-on to an add-on" look.

And...

What do you think about the CF side skirt extensions??

My car is not that aggressive looking but I have always liked the front splitter look, with or without splitter rods (which would probably look out of place on my ride).

Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #119
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

While I'm waiting for the body parts...

I did an install of the new Mophie Qi car charger, which charges the iPhone and Mophie Juice Pack through the case. I custom mounted the Mophie charger to a Scosche magnetic mount (the older style of the one on the right) using a single screw and 3M double sided tape. Rock solid! (I'll provide the details if anyone is interested).

I used to have two of the Scosche magnetic mounts on each side, which would hold the iPad mini in place and can still swap the new Mophie mount out for another Scosche mount when I want to do that. (See previous posts for iPad mini mount https://bit.ly/2SU5axO ). The one on the right mostly serves to hold my girlfriend's phone. I have a lightning cord coming from/thru the center console (and into the cigarette tray area) in order to charge any other iPhone/iPad in the car.

YES....the dash trim has suffered over the past 10 years. Thankfully, the trim pieces are cheap and WILL be replaced as part of Sapphire's 10th birthday facelift.

Last edited by Isaiah5411; 01-13-2019 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 11:36 AM   #120
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Proper designation...

Oh...and finally decided to "properly" badge the girl. After doing the....

1) BMW Performance Exhaust - Installed 3-20-15. Thanks, Evan@Tischer!
2) "Eurobox" air intake with K&N filter - Installed 3-27-15 along with #3.
3) 3.0 Intake manifold conversion - Used one just fell into my lap. Installed 3-27-15 along with #2
4) Active Autowerke 3-stage manifold tune - Ended up getting G5 tool to install tune myself.

...Sapphire was "officially" a 330i, even better than one with the BMW performance exhaust and AA tune.

Do I need a flamesuit for this?!? Tough!

(You can see the damage to the left rear bumper. It was pushed in significantly until I removed the bumper, stood on the inside until the dent popped back out, and then reinstalled the bumper. Took an hour to make it acceptable to drive. I replaced the tail light on Friday.)

Last edited by Isaiah5411; 01-13-2019 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 0