Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > tire and wheel insurance

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #23
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

I had it and recently cancelled it.

It covers only approved tires which in my case (2008) include 3 shit tires, so as soon as my OEM tires worn to a certain degree I cancelled it.

The prorated refund was reasonable, so I would say if you are on OEM tires and wheels probably it makes sense to have the insurance.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #24
Snow King
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
I flew to Los Angeles to get mine Worked with a vendor for LTBMW.
You gotta go where the deal is, I ended up picking mine up in Texas!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #25
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aolsux00 View Post
Its one of my biggest regrets. In less than two years I've bent probably about 3 rims and cracked one. I've also gone through like 5 or 6 tires. I even try to avoid them and drive slow, but it doesn't make much of a difference. They shouldn't make low profile run flats at all.
I agree 100%. I'll never understand RFT.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #26
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow King View Post
You gotta go where the deal is, I ended up picking mine up in Texas!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #27
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

say you have damage to 1 tire and the rest of them have some wear on them (on xi) would they still just replace 1 tire or replace pair/all?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #28
HGreen335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 335i, S65 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
Ive had my car 3 months and have already used it TWICE.. Once to repair my winshield that got hit and once two weeks ago to repair curb rash on my front wheel. No limit on how many claims. No deductable No fee
you can get curb rash repaired under the warranty? i have gotten 4 non-runflat tires replaced under the tire and wheel insurance but i didnt know it covered curb rash. Maybe i can get both my rear wheels fixed on my aftermarket wheels
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #29
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by booostin3 View Post
you can get curb rash repaired under the warranty? i have gotten 4 non-runflat tires replaced under the tire and wheel insurance but i didnt know it covered curb rash. Maybe i can get both my rear wheels fixed on my aftermarket wheels
Yup got my curb rash fixed free earlier this month. Wheel looks brand new. But read carefully, I remember reading something about them not covering chrome wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #30
ncats07
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I don't understand why people are going through rims and tires like this. I live in downtown Toronto (nasty streets) and have been running high diameter, low profile wheel/tire combos in both run flat and non for many years and I've never bent a rim or lost a tire to anything aside from a nail puncture.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #31
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by STooK View Post
say you have damage to 1 tire and the rest of them have some wear on them (on xi) would they still just replace 1 tire or replace pair/all?
They would replace just one tire. You could get it shaved to match the other tire.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #32
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

Screw runflats... i switched the RFTs... problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #33
Magic-Man
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54

Waste of $. With all you sprnt on ew tires why did you not just get non-runflats?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #34
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncats07 View Post
I don't understand why people are going through rims and tires like this. I live in downtown Toronto (nasty streets) and have been running high diameter, low profile wheel/tire combos in both run flat and non for many years and I've never bent a rim or lost a tire to anything aside from a nail puncture.
You must be driving 5 mph then, or towing your car around on the back of a big truck with fatty tires. I do applaud the fact that you are able to do so however.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #35
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncats07 View Post
Shit happens. Its not like they do it on purpose. If it happens to me again, I'll be glad to know its covered.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #36
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

I have a 5 year tire/wheel plan - havent used it yet 9only had the car ~6 months)

It is my understanding that they DON'T have to be factory wheels or factory tires. If I go buy a 5000 set of BBS wheels with non-RFT and hit a pothole and crack a wheel/blowout my tire, my insurance WILL cover my aftermarket parts. - Very nice considering I am getting 19" wheels and live in PA (HORRIBLE ROADS!!)

I think the wheel/tire insurance is a great idea if you plan on having the car for a long time, have large wheels, and live in areas with bad roads.

I would never do insurance fraud; but "running over something" when you get low-tread in your tires, is not "wrong" IMO. yea, if you're getting a new set of (4) tires every 6 months sure, but once or twice every 2 years or so? ...nothing wrong with that.
      10-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #37
QC135Vert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 135 vert

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
I have a 5 year tire/wheel plan - havent used it yet 9only had the car ~6 months)

It is my understanding that they DON'T have to be factory wheels or factory tires. If I go buy a 5000 set of BBS wheels with non-RFT and hit a pothole and crack a wheel/blowout my tire, my insurance WILL cover my aftermarket parts. - Very nice considering I am getting 19" wheels and live in PA (HORRIBLE ROADS!!)

I think the wheel/tire insurance is a great idea if you plan on having the car for a long time, have large wheels, and live in areas with bad roads.

I would never do insurance fraud; but "running over something" when you get low-tread in your tires, is not "wrong" IMO. yea, if you're getting a new set of (4) tires every 6 months sure, but once or twice every 2 years or so? ...nothing wrong with that.
I have heard different stories. I had 1 dealership tell me that ANYTHING was covered, but the dealership that I just ordered my E90 from said they will ONLY cover OEM wheels and bmw approved tires. Not sure which one is right...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #38
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:

Sigh. Of course it wrong and it is insurance fraud.

BTW - I love the "I would never do insurance fraud but."

This country is going to hell in a handbasket.

That said, you may want to actually read the tire insurance booklet you got. Most will only cover OE wheels delivered with the car and either the original tires or a subsequent set of the appropriate specification - i.e. RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #39
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC135Vert View Post
I have heard different stories. I had 1 dealership tell me that ANYTHING was covered, but the dealership that I just ordered my E90 from said they will ONLY cover OEM wheels and bmw approved tires. Not sure which one is right...
there are about 25 different wheel/tire insurance plans out there.

I paid a lot mroe for mine than others, almost $1k for 5 years.

I have read and re-read my contract very carefully....

MY aftermarket parts are covered under MY plan.. not sure about yours, but people may want to check into this.
      10-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #40
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
Sigh. Of course it wrong and it is insurance fraud.

BTW - I love the "I would never do insurance fraud but."

This country is going to hell in a handbasket.

That said, you may want to actually read the tire insurance booklet you got. Most will only cover OE wheels delivered with the car and either the original tires or a subsequent set of the appropriate specification - i.e. RFTs.

"Insurance fraud" can be debated until no end. I guess it is also fraud to say something is "wrong" with your car (even though it is a COVERED part under warranty) and this part may be slightly worn or cracked or something but still works... is it fraud to have them replace this under a car warranty?

like i said, to each his own.

but every tire/wheel plan is different. I paid mroe for mine than others and it covers aftermarket tires AND wheels.
      10-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #41
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
there are about 25 different wheel/tire insurance plans out there.

I paid a lot mroe for mine than others, almost $1k for 5 years.

I have read and re-read my contract very carefully....

MY aftermarket parts are covered under MY plan.. not sure about yours, but people may want to check into this.
People need to understand this. There are many different plans out there with widely varying stipulations.

I paid $799 for mine for 5 years (unlimited mileage) of coverage on a car with 162s and OEM RFTs (seasonally). Three years and 60k in, I've had a front and rear wheel replaced (even though they still held air, but they weren't able to be put back to round), two fronts with sidewall bubbles replaced, two rears with leaks, and two other fronts with leaks (one was a non-OEM winter tire but they were OK with replacing that too). I'd say it paid off pretty well, but I do a lot of driving in the city of Chicago where massive potholes appear out of nowhere every day (yeah, even in the summer as pavement sinks into the deteriorating sewer/water/utility tunnels), so obviously this is something that not a lot of people will deal with.

This is definitely a case where YMMV and you need to do research on the details of the coverage. I got lucky that my dealership was offering one of the best ones I've heard about so far. No cap, 5 years unlimited mileage, no BS or second-guessing, wheels and/or tires don't have to be leaking in order to be deemed replaceable, aftermarket replacement is covered for up to what the cost would have been with an OEM unit, and everyone I've had to talk to has been really pleasant.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #42
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
"Insurance fraud" can be debated until no end. I guess it is also fraud to say something is "wrong" with your car (even though it is a COVERED part under warranty) and this part may be slightly worn or cracked or something but still works... is it fraud to have them replace this under a car warranty?

like i said, to each his own.

but every tire/wheel plan is different. I paid mroe for mine than others and it covers aftermarket tires AND wheels.
There is a difference between pointing out a potential problem and asking the dealer to repair/replace it under warranty and intentionally damaging a worn piece to have it qualify under insurance merely because it is normal wear and tear.

Intentionally damaging a tire is insurance fraud, plain and simple. There is nothing to debate. Tires wear out. You are expected to replace them routinely - on your dime.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #43
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
There is a difference between pointing out a potential problem and asking the dealer to repair/replace it under warranty and intentionally damaging a worn piece to have it qualify under insurance merely because it is normal wear and tear.

Intentionally damaging a tire is insurance fraud, plain and simple. There is nothing to debate. Tires wear out. You are expected to replace them routinely - on your dime.
so telling a dealer your steering is "loose" in order to get the control bushings replaced is? ...

Look I am not here to get into legal arguements or talk about being ethical.

If your child was starving and you had no money, would you steal a piece of bread to feed him/her?
      10-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #44
Wild Squid
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i coupe Msport AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolieman1220 View Post
ran out of what? time? my SA told me there's a limit to the # of tires u can get replaced but i see none of that written on the contract and my sales rep told me it was unlimited. sooooooooooooooo

That's when you should be getting mad and tell the fucker to look in the contract and tell you where it says max # of tires.
Appreciate 0