E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Best way to identify hose part number ?

11-10-2018, 08:20 AM   #1
Fl328iConvert
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Convertible

Best way to identify hose part number ?

Hello everyone, new member. Hope this is is the correct forum to ask this question.

Just purchased an 08 328i convertible 59,000 miles and am starting the maintenance repair ... loving every minute of it.

I’m stuck on a hose identification and would greatly appreciate if someone has advice ... went to the dealer for a recall and asked them to identify the hose, and they came back with the wrong part number.

Online diagrams, the hose is “greyed out” (I don’t understand why haha ).

The hose that is splitting is the one under the part labeled “1” that goes from the radiator back to the firewall.

Any guidance would greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 12:15 PM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I posted a complete 9-hose replacement DIY for the N52 on the DIY subforum a few years ago. It has all the part numbers for the N52, which should be applicable to the engine in your E93. The hose you are looking for is the heater hose to the heater core, and you can find it on realOEM.com under the HVAC section. BMW considers that hose as part of the heating/cooling system. The part number should be 11537521049 (or it may have been superseded by now).

That said, unless the hose is damaged, I'd bet your hoses are in really good shape. I replaced my hoses at 8 years old and 232,000 miles and none of them needed replacement. In fact I've kept most of them, and hanging on my garage walls these last 4 years, they are still in perfect shape. If you are replacing the hoses just because you think you need to, inspect them very closely first, I doubt they need replacement.

My 2 cents.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #3
Fl328iConvert
Rep

Thank you so so much ! Yes the rest all look good !, I was replacing air filter when I noticed the exterior top of that one hose had a sharp split ... not all the way thru. (Almost like maybe an accidental knife cut in previous repair ?? ) I’ll take a photo of it when I go back in to show.

Thank you so much for the info and I’ll go find that post and do some reading.. pissed at myself for not seeing .. I swear I clicked on 5 pages of google results looking for exactly that info haha. Cheers and thanks again !
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 08:06 PM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl328iConvert View Post
Thank you so so much ! Yes the rest all look good !, I was replacing air filter when I noticed the exterior top of that one hose had a sharp split ... not all the way thru. (Almost like maybe an accidental knife cut in previous repair ?? ) I’ll take a photo of it when I go back in to show.

Thank you so much for the info and I’ll go find that post and do some reading.. pissed at myself for not seeing .. I swear I clicked on 5 pages of google results looking for exactly that info haha. Cheers and thanks again !
Shoulda just done this the first time:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936250
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
Fl328iConvert
Rep

I did find the post after he recommended it. the part number is not the one I need though ... going to get the specifics when I dig in tomorrow.. thanks again
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 05:53 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

If it's one of the hoses coming off the heater core (next to the steering column) then it either of the two hoses in the schematic from realOEM.com below. If it's not one of those hoses, then it's either not a cooling system hose, or it is the hose that comes over from the T-stat with the plastic pipe that sits atop the engine crossmemeber (Item 3 circled in your pic). That hose turns 90 deg. and connects to hose Item 2 in the schematic along the driver's side frame rail under the airbox. Item 1 hose in the schematic below connects to the upper radiator hose.

If you found the hose nicked when the airbox was out, then its either hose Item 2 P/N 64216951946, or P/N 17127548223, Item 23 from the schematic on the right. Maybe you need to post a pic of the nicked hose, so I can better diagnose which one it is.
Attached Images

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 11-11-2018 at 06:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2018, 10:41 AM   #7
Fl328iConvert
Rep

Thank you all for the help .. here is the problem hose that is greyed out in diagram

The hose coming down from the T that is attached to the radiator is the problem area, and the issue upon a second look is almost like there was a hose clamp at one time that disfigured the hose...

It may be normal for all I know, but it does feel weakened in that area. Location of the issue is under the white tape that I added to locate it later.

Thanks again for your help.

it does look like radiator return hose.... https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/64216951946/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl328iConvert View Post
The hose coming down from the T that is attached to the radiator is the problem area, and the issue upon a second look is almost like there was a hose clamp at one time that disfigured the hose...

It may be normal for all I know, but it does feel weakened in that area. Location of the issue is under the white tape that I added to locate it later.

Thanks again for your help.

it does look like radiator return hose.... https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/64216951946/
That's Item 1 in the lefthand schematic I posted. P/N 64219178427. The best way to get that off the heater core is from the bottom. From the top, you need to move the Item 2 hose out of the way. The Item 1 hose has one of those PIA BMW plastic hose connectors on it.
Appreciate 0