E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > VTT 2018 N55 Info Thread

11-28-2018, 07:32 PM   #89
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Speedtech has my money! Much higher price than VTT. Very happy to be working with a non-BSer.

No idea WTF your $1600 comment is about.
Well good for you. From your post last week:

"Makes it even more expensive than the S55 unit which is $3200 according to F80 thread. (And Pure S2 N55 is roughly 50% of S55)."

You can do the math yourself.

I, like many here, patiently waited for months, maybe over a year for the Pure 2. I can assure you that it cost well over 1600 bucks. It is the responsibility of the manufacturer to provide not only bigger and badder, but they must do so responsibly by doing it safely, otherwise they risk serious exposure, especially from loose cannons among us.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 08:22 PM   #90
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie335i View Post
Quote:
Speedtech has my money! Much higher price than VTT. Very happy to be working with a non-BSer.

No idea WTF your $1600 comment is about.
Well good for you. From your post last week:

"Makes it even more expensive than the S55 unit which is $3200 according to F80 thread. (And Pure S2 N55 is roughly 50% of S55)."

You can do the math yourself.

I, like many here, patiently waited for months, maybe over a year for the Pure 2. I can assure you that it cost well over 1600 bucks. It is the responsibility of the manufacturer to provide not only bigger and badder, but they must do so responsibly by doing it safely, otherwise they risk serious exposure, especially from loose cannons among us.
Err, better check your reading.

I said that the N55 Pure Stage 2 was roughly 50% of the S55 Pure Stage 2 and that is correct as roughly $2500 v $5000

I also pointed out the VTT S55 GC Dual Turbo was selling for $3200 (ACTUALLY less than $2800) and the VTT N55 GC Single Turbo was more expensive than the VTT GC S55 Dual Turbo which is the opposite of Pure Stage 2.

How you got $1600 for a Pure Stage 2 out of that, I have no idea.

The new math?

You are right...I can do the math myself!

But with multiple parts, it appears it was too complex for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 08:42 AM   #91
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech View Post
Guys, we're working on it. The timelines ran long, that we know. That's how it goes sometimes in development. The stuff we're doing in the background will be very evident once you get it in your paws. It's expensive because it's a DBB using genuine Garrett CHRA, not a JB unit. Shipping is going to be higher due to dimensions and weight. You guys are going to like it quite a lot, but we're taking our time and making sure it's right. I really do appreciate the enthusiasm.

Chris
Chris do we have a guesstimate of when this thing will come out then and exact pricing?

It has been a Lonnnnnnnngg time now since it was announced you know lol . Hardly any updates at all too to very vague updates which were all stated in initial advertisements would be posted. Nothing much on that still until one maybe recently.
Chris it is totally understandable why folks are frustrated about this especially when the advertising(back late 2k17 early 2k18) mentions the great features about the product and how it was projected to come out now this quarter. Soon going into 2019.

Chris I think I would have kept this under wraps and not come out publicly until we knew it was tested and finally going to come out like the GC lites were for the N54 and now S55. Just my opinion. The way this was presented really caused a lot of unnecessary hype but that is not to say anything negative about the product. I for one am excited about it.

I see Active Auto has not advertised or said much about their N55 turbo kit but perhaps to avoid all this angst.
Chris I guess I will still continue to be patient and enjoy my car till you guys get it together. I still have strong interest especially since seeing the GC lite kit for my buddies N54. Nice work! I am only hoping for the best regardless of past rep, Precision turbo went through this earlier on and now has one of the best DBB turbos on the Market. Precision's JB turbos were crap back in the days but now Precision makes good shit!
So I believe you guys have something great and improved here hence my anxiousness to try the kit out.

Last question ,has the EWG version of the kit been developed yet or how is that going?

Carl
      12-02-2018, 11:25 AM   #92
biz77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
Quote:
Guys, we're working on it. The timelines ran long, that we know. That's how it goes sometimes in development. The stuff we're doing in the background will be very evident once you get it in your paws. It's expensive because it's a DBB using genuine Garrett CHRA, not a JB unit. Shipping is going to be higher due to dimensions and weight. You guys are going to like it quite a lot, but we're taking our time and making sure it's right. I really do appreciate the enthusiasm.

Chris
Chris do we have a guesstimate of when this thing will come out then and exact pricing?

It has been a Lonnnnnnnngg time now since it was announced you know lol . Hardly any updates at all too to very vague updates which were all stated in initial advertisements would be posted. Nothing much on that still until one maybe recently.
Chris it is totally understandable why folks are frustrated about this especially when the advertising(back late 2k17 early 2k18) mentions the great features about the product and how it was projected to come out now this quarter. Soon going into 2019.

Chris I think I would have kept this under wraps and not come out publicly until we knew it was tested and finally going to come out like the GC lites were for the N54 and now S55. Just my opinion. The way this was presented really caused a lot of unnecessary hype but that is not to say anything negative about the product. I for one am excited about it.

I see Active Auto has not advertised or said much about their N55 turbo kit but perhaps to avoid all this angst.
Chris I guess I will still continue to be patient and enjoy my car till you guys get it together. I still have strong interest especially since seeing the GC lite kit for my buddies N54. Nice work! I am only hoping for the best regardless of past rep, Precision turbo went through this earlier on and now has one of the best DBB turbos on the Market. Precision's JB turbos were crap back in the days but now Precision makes good shit!
So I believe you guys have something great and improved here hence my anxiousness to try the kit out.

Last question ,has the EWG version of the kit been developed yet or how is that going?

Carl
Quote:
Quote:

Chris

Carl
The kit is available for preorder on the VTT site complete with pricing details and estimated delivery timeline.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 08:17 PM   #93
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz77 View Post
The kit is available for preorder on the VTT site complete with pricing details and estimated delivery timeline.
We saw estimated delivery timeline in the early posts on this thread.

Obviously, they were BS.

In fact, we have seen estimated timelines come and go.....multiple times.

Quote:

Carl
Well, as Chris last week requested facts instead of speculation, going by what he posted in this thread, the PWG is easier to develop than the EWG. By the timeline he/VTT posted in this thread, the EWG would come out 2 Quarters after the PWG.

According to what was posted on cyber Monday, the PWG is due sometime between this month to end of Q1 2019.

So you can do the math if you you believe the “facts” VTT has stated thus far.

Furthermore, previous statements would show you add $200 onto the price of the PWG for the EWG.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 12-02-2018 at 08:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 07:02 AM   #94
ceedawg
Major
Rep

Quote:
We saw estimated delivery timeline in the early posts on this thread.

Obviously, they were BS.

In fact, we have seen estimated timelines come and go.....multiple times. FACTS!!!

Well, as Chris last week requested facts instead of speculation, going by what he posted in this thread, the PWG is easier to develop than the EWG. By the timeline he/VTT posted in this thread, the EWG would come out 2 Quarters after the PWG.

According to what was posted on cyber Monday, the PWG is due sometime between this month to end of Q1 2019.

So you can do the math if you you believe the “facts” VTT has stated thus far.
That's a joke if that is the case. Hopefully Chris comes back with some positive updates. I do think the pricing is weird and it is odd that it would be more expensive than the TT kit for the N54 and S55,I dont get that hopefully more details will be given because it makes no sense without a proper explanation

I do not see the pricing for the different size turbo options BB GTX30,35 which they advertised would be available in this thread. It is not shown on the website,just the turbo.

http://performance.vargasturbo.com/products/

When I priced everything out it came out to a little over 3800.00(includes ceramic coating,ewg wastegate,install kit) but I have no idea which turbo that is paying for and I have no idea if the tune for BM3 is included. Speedtech 3700.00 and I know which turbo I am getting. Speedtech includes a down pipe and has a BB Borg warner turbo as well.

Looks like I will be following up with Active Autowerkes then because the timing with this VTT kit is totally off based on what was posted advertised originally. That is disappointing.

As I said ,I would have held off on the advertising since it was like a year to one year and a half off. VTT looks like such a promising kit.

I'm going to look into the potential of the Speedtech kit too.

I think Big boost and AA will be using the same Master Power or something like that brand turbos so that makes me not too excited but going to inquire more, Thanks
However Im going to still keep the faith and see wat VTT does. Hate the fact that it might be a lot or a little longer than originally advertised. Not the worst thing that could happen in life but yes frustrating Lmao!
The pricing of this kit is very surprising compared to the LOW pricing of their TT offerings when Pure turbos wants 5K for their S55 TT kit That is disappointing.

Last edited by ceedawg; 12-08-2018 at 05:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
Supra2k6131.50
      12-03-2018, 06:56 PM   #95
ceedawg
Major
Rep

Quote:
It’s not complete they give more info here in post number one.
      12-04-2018, 03:13 PM   #96
biz77
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It’s not complete they give more info here in post number one.
The info I said was there is there (pricing and timeline). What they pitched to us in the first post and what they have now delivered to us are (IMO) two very different things. Pricing is on their site for a GTX3076R turbo kit. Timeline is "pre-order." Heck, they were still looking for testers just a couple of weeks ago. There are proven solutions already on the market that frankly offer more for the same money. Personally I'd go that route, but it's your money to gamble with.
Appreciate 1
ceedawg467.50
      12-04-2018, 06:06 PM   #97
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The info I said was there is there (pricing and timeline). What they pitched to us in the first post and what they have now delivered to us are (IMO) two very different things. Pricing is on their site for a GTX3076R turbo kit. Timeline is "pre-order." Heck, they were still looking for testers just a couple of weeks ago. There are proven solutions already on the market that frankly offer more for the same money. Personally I'd go that route, but it's your money to gamble with.
As seen on the F80 thread and EAS thread on installing the VTT SCH solution, VTT claims were totally bogus.

What they sold users as an 8 hour labor install is actually a 20 hour labor install...adding an additional $1500 to $3000 to the labor.

Fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockdoc View Post
It is not clear to me where the original 8-10hour install time came from? How could there be such a discrepancy?
Time estimate was from VTT early on when the kit was released.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 09:43 PM   #98
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

Not all the steps listed in the EAS post about spline lock crank hub install are necessary -but they are a very thorough shop and do first rate work, I'm certainly not disparaging them -great guys. We charge 10 hours at our shop.

Anyway, turbo is in the hands of the tester. Delays have been because tester has a competitor turbo already on the car, and it wasn't 100% dialed in... tester needed new flywheel (false knock) and PI (ran out of fuel) running it hard so we're helping them with all the ancillaries to get more power out of the existing setup before putting ours on, so it's a fair apples/apples comparison, not other guys turbo vs. VTT with better clutch and better fueling. You guys are going to REALLY like how this turns out, cranky few aside.

xoxo

Chris
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #99
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Not all the steps listed in the EAS post about spline lock crank hub install are necessary -but they are a very thorough shop and do first rate work, I'm certainly not disparaging them -great guys. We charge 10 hours at our shop.

Anyway, turbo is in the hands of the tester. Delays have been because tester has a competitor turbo already on the car, and it wasn't 100% dialed in... tester needed new flywheel (false knock) and PI (ran out of fuel) running it hard so we're helping them with all the ancillaries to get more power out of the existing setup before putting ours on, so it's a fair apples/apples comparison, not other guys turbo vs. VTT with better clutch and better fueling. You guys are going to REALLY like how this turns out, cranky few aside.

xoxo

Chris
To add on this, I just realized the tester is Steven (sbrach), so this will get pretty interesting in comparison. Link to his build is here, he's done lots of table defining/developing for flash only tuning: https://bmw.***********.com/threads/diy-tuning.2305/page-12#post-62415

Edit: forum nazi's don't allow links so it's on spool-street under the thread called DIY tuning, just substitute the word and take away the -
2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2018, 05:34 PM   #100
ceedawg
Major
Rep

Quote:
You guys are going to REALLY like how this turns out, cranky few aside.

xoxo

Chris
Well stop the hype and get this turbo out man!! Then you won’t have Cranky consumers out here being teased while not giving up the goods!. You have had us at post one Dont like being able to see without touching!!!
      12-11-2018, 06:10 PM   #101
biz77
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You guys are going to REALLY like how this turns out, cranky few aside.

xoxo

Chris
We are only cranky because what we were told was coming and what showed up are two different things.

We were lead to believe you were producing a product that removed the restrictive stock manifold, supplied a good quality journal bearing turbo, utilized parts we already owned (therefore keeping kit costs down) and was capable of another 50-100 whp over a Pure Stage 2 for something close in price. I imagine if you had filled all of the above promises for $2,750 you would have a line of people ready to order the kit. Instead what you have done is produced what will likely be a fine kit at a me-too price point that offers no discernible advantage over what's already available.
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4486.00
      12-12-2018, 07:39 PM   #102
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

It's silly that you think that's a stock manifold. The turbo the tester has is a GTX3076R. It's quite a bit more kit than anything else on the market at the moment... but I'll let the test results show that once posted.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 08:01 PM   #103
biz77
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It's silly that you think that's a stock manifold. The turbo the tester has is a GTX3076R. It's quite a bit more kit than anything else on the market at the moment... but I'll let the test results show that once posted.
No one thinks it's a stock exhaust manifold. Your manifold looks on par with the less expensive BigBoost piece and not quite as nice looking as the Speedtech.
I'm not sure how this is superior to anything else on the market. This is how I'm looking at it:
Manifold: Speedtech
Turbo: Draw, but remember that you at least have different options with Speedtech
Price: Speedtech especially when you factor in they include some parts that you do not.
Performance: TBD We already know the BB and SpeedTech kits can do over 600WHP. I don't see why your kit would not be inline with these numbers based on the turbo spec'd.
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4486.00
      12-13-2018, 12:47 AM   #104
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No one thinks it's a stock exhaust manifold. Your manifold looks on par with the less expensive BigBoost piece and not quite as nice looking as the Speedtech.
I'm not sure how this is superior to anything else on the market. This is how I'm looking at it:
Manifold: Speedtech
Turbo: Draw, but remember that you at least have different options with Speedtech
Price: Speedtech especially when you factor in they include some parts that you do not.
Performance: TBD We already know the BB and SpeedTech kits can do over 600WHP. I don't see why your kit would not be inline with these numbers based on the turbo spec'd.
My buddies 135i N55 did 611whp @ 5800rpm on the EAS dyno with the big boost 3.4 kit and they let off due to a misfire (port injection settings where dialed in for the street where there was more air than the dyno so it went too rich) and that setup is good for almost touching 700whp. Juan (bigboostusa's) kit is $2950 and he offers like 10-20% off at anytime. I'm not discrediting the VVT kit, but this just isn't the best bang for buck turbo kit out there for this platform, they probably know that by now. If you're looking for a bigger turbo that is compatible all the oem parts and offers more than pure stage 2 than this is the one to get. Also the person testing this kit as I said before really knows his stuff, I have no doubt this will be knocking on the door of 600+whp when Steven gets the PI and boost dialed in
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4486.00
      12-13-2018, 10:01 PM   #105
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
My buddies 135i N55 did 611whp @ 5800rpm on the EAS dyno with the big boost 3.4 kit and they let off due to a misfire (port injection settings where dialed in for the street where there was more air than the dyno so it went too rich) and that setup is good for almost touching 700whp. Juan (bigboostusa's) kit is $2950 and he offers like 10-20% off at anytime. I'm not discrediting the VVT kit, but this just isn't the best bang for buck turbo kit out there for this platform, they probably know that by now. If you're looking for a bigger turbo that is compatible all the oem parts and offers more than pure stage 2 than this is the one to get. Also the person testing this kit as I said before really knows his stuff, I have no doubt this will be knocking on the door of 600+whp when Steven gets the PI and boost dialed in
Yes....but Steven known more than almost anyone else on these data tables....which means you will not be getting what he can get out of them.

Notice VTT also supplied him with PI for this vehicle test.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 10:23 PM   #106
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
Yes....but Steven known more than almost anyone else on these data tables....which means you will not be getting what he can get out of them.

Notice VTT also supplied him with PI for this vehicle test.
I parted out my car a few weeks ago, I was highly considering this before. And that's correct he has a XDF with more tables than anyone else except Justin @ Twisted. Regardless of him having more tables the turbos capabilities shouldn't be different, efficiency wise and running fueling maps that aren't released to us is a different story
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 10:53 AM   #107
sbrach
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 DCT 135i

Whoa, looks like I am late to the party. WTH is going on in here lol.

As previously mentioned I have a lot of info and pictures on my SS thread. File attachments aren't working for me right now on here so let me figure out how to host some of these photos for those of you who aren't on SS.

It seems everyone is clear that this is not a stock manifold, right? Has everyone seen the nice cutaway of the stock turbofold that Speedtech posted a while ago? It's insane.

I've completed dyno'ing the car with the current setup (11 135i, DCT, PS2, PFS PI, Injen Intake, custom 3" inlet w/ VS adapter, VRSF 7.5" race IC, VRSF outlet, VS stage 2.5 bucketless DW400, full magnaflow exhaust, catless DP, S55 flywheel, n20 plugs at .022, full 3: upper and lower chargepipes, E54 fuel, 22-23psi at 11.5* timing). The car made 475whp/475wtq on a dynojet at AZ Dyno Chip.

The VTT kit gets you a plug and play kit, with a cast manifold that removes the stock restrictions, a stainless turbine housing that removes the stock restrictions, a genuine Garrett GTX3076R, and a new pneumatic actuator that is pre-adjusted (can't tell you how much time I've spent with people trying to get their oem actuator adjusted correctly).

As far as the tuning, yes I do a ton of XDF development but to say that no one else will have the required tables is false. I work with MHD and all the reputable tuners and share info. I don't just blast untested tables out there for a couple reasons, 1. they are untested and I don't want someone to blow up their engine, 2. EMP, RFP, etc.

New kit will be installed this weekend. Hope to have first impressions the beginning of the week.
Appreciate 3
      12-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #108
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrach View Post

As previously mentioned I have a lot of info and pictures on my SS thread. File attachments aren't working for me right now on here so let me figure out how to host some of these photos for those of you who aren't on SS.

It seems everyone is clear that this is not a stock manifold, right? Has everyone seen the nice cutaway of the stock turbofold that Speedtech posted a while ago? It's insane.

I've completed dyno'ing the car with the current setup (11 135i, DCT, PS2, PFS PI, Injen Intake, custom 3" inlet w/ VS adapter, VRSF 7.5" race IC, VRSF outlet, VS stage 2.5 bucketless DW400, full magnaflow exhaust, catless DP, S55 flywheel, n20 plugs at .022, full 3: upper and lower chargepipes, E54 fuel, 22-23psi at 11.5* timing). The car made 475whp/475wtq on a dynojet at AZ Dyno Chip.

The VTT kit gets you a plug and play kit, with a cast manifold that removes the stock restrictions, a stainless turbine housing that removes the stock restrictions, a genuine Garrett GTX3076R, and a new pneumatic actuator that is pre-adjusted (can't tell you how much time I've spent with people trying to get their oem actuator adjusted correctly).

As far as the tuning, yes I do a ton of XDF development but to say that no one else will have the required tables is false. I work with MHD and all the reputable tuners and share info. I don't just blast untested tables out there for a couple reasons, 1. they are untested and I don't want someone to blow up their engine, 2. EMP, RFP, etc.

New kit will be installed this weekend. Hope to have first impressions the beginning of the week.
Love it.

Grabbed a couple photos from the other thread. Love the cutaway of stock N55 manifold... so small!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 01:34 PM   #109
obt1993
Rep
Drives: e92 n55 dct msport fbo

Quote:

Quote:

steve can you post pics of the custom inlet you used on the ps2
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 11:32 PM   #110
ceedawg
Major
Rep

No doubt this will be an upgrade to stock however

Two things

When will the ewg version come out

is the price going to still be competitive or higher than big boost ,speedtech and pure turbo PS2?