E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Red Turbo boost pipe

01-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Red Turbo boost pipe

Has anyone replaced this pipe themselves? Can you give any advice how to get the top pipe clip off?
Some of you may have read my other thread about a garage whom I trusted to replace the main thermostat which I supplied the brand new part but never did... and telling me it had been replaced...

Anyway before I took it to have the thermostat done I took it there to replace the seals on the boost pipe (seals which I supplied). it got me thinking that after the last incident I dont think they have been replaced the seals with the ones I supplied (although I dont have proof)

I have had a look today and the pipe is misting oil again and the undertray is covered in oil as I only cleaned it last month

So I plan on buying the new pipe and fitting it myself as tbh if you want a job doing proper do it yourself

I have read this guide and have attempted to release the clip on the end that fits onto the turbo but in fear of breaking it I gave up
http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/foru...ne-replacement
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
daveleach
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

I have removed the hose before and cleaned it all up. It was a pig to get on and off.
That is actually quite a good description of removal, although I did pry it out with a flat screwdriver.
I didn't realise the new seals were interchangeable with the old hose. So as my oil has reappeared I'm going to replace the seals.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleach View Post
I have removed the hose before and cleaned it all up. It was a pig to get on and off.
That is actually quite a good description of removal, although I did pry it out with a flat screwdriver.
I didn't realise the new seals were interchangeable with the old hose. So as my oil has reappeared I'm going to replace the seals.
I managed to get the bottom clip off fine as I only had to pry the clip out with a flat headed screwdriver, but My hands/arms did get covered in oil

Its the top clip I am struggling with, I dont understand how the clip is held on and how to unclip? Do I have to twist the hose, pull it, push it etc

When you re fitted the hose did it not just clip back into place?

Apparantly in 2009 BMW changed one of the seals to give it a more tighter fitting. some say they also changed the design of the hose by a few mm. I have decided to bite the bullet and replace the whole pipe. I have taken it into the garage 2x. On both occasions the seals have "suposidly" been changed by the garage but I dont know. As for a short while it didnt leak and now has started to leak again. I can only presume the design of the hose and the new hose will cure it?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
daveleach
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'm gonna try and just change the seals for now. As I haven't been down that road yet.
I will have a look again tomorrow at the removal, of the top clip. It was a while ago that I last removed so can't actually remember the details.
Sorry
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm gonna try and just change the seals for now. As I haven't been down that road yet.
I will have a look again tomorrow at the removal, of the top clip. It was a while ago that I last removed so can't actually remember the details.
Sorry
If you do remove it any chance you can take some pics on removing the top clip please? or if you cant take pics of it on the car could you take some of the clip removal when you take the pipe off?

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
daveleach
First Lieutenant
Rep

I will do. I have just been and ordered the seals. The pipe part number has changed but the seal part numbers havn't. So this should mean the seals should fit new and old pipes.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

thanks Dave, If I can get it before the weekend I will try to fit it then as my mpg has taken a nosedive.

I would hazzard a guess the seals would fit new and old pipes, unless they have recently modified the pipe
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
daveleach
First Lieutenant
Rep

There are no differenrt numbers for the seal though. So guess they have improved the design of them. But dunno what has changed on the pipe.
Did you manage to find any further info about the other pipe that can become blocked the breather one?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

That garage is shocking....so much for it being a one off accident..
      01-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
daveleach
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
That garage is shocking....so much for it being a one off accident..
Pardon??
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
There are no differenrt numbers for the seal though. So guess they have improved the design of them. But dunno what has changed on the pipe.
Did you manage to find any further info about the other pipe that can become blocked the breather one?
Quote:
Pardon??
Dave -please see below link and all will be revealed as its the same garage whom I took my car to to replace the seals (I supplied) and dont think they have fitted them
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632600

I havent found out where the breather pipe is located unless someone can shed some light where this is located?

That garage imo I cannot describe in words how... considering he goes by word of mouth. If anyone is living in wolverhampton and thinking of taking there car to this garage give me a pm so I can warn you whether it is the same garage I took mine to
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 02:06 AM   #12
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I will do. I have just been and ordered the seals. The pipe part number has changed but the seal part numbers havn't. So this should mean the seals should fit new and old pipes.
Did you manage to change yours Dave?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 03:03 AM   #13
daveleach
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
Did you manage to change yours Dave?
Not yet. Was going to yesterday afternoon then mrs said she was going to work.
So it meant I would of had 2 little helpers!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 03:57 AM   #14
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

no probs, I have ordered the new pipe and will be picking it up later today.I will try to take a pic of the old and new pipe togther.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 05:51 AM   #15
daveleach
First Lieutenant
Rep

If you could take some measurements of the I/d of new pipe that would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #16
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Picked up my new boost pipe from the dealers (Thanks Anneka@sytner), the parts guy was a bit perplexed as to why a pipe that size costs that much and why I was purchasing it. After I explained to him he goes he doesnt sell the pipe that much but frequently sell a lot of the 2 seals so it is an issue imo.

This pipe is stamped a Aug 2011 made so will be the recent one with the new seals.
Here is a few pics, I still cant work out which way the tab has to come off. Do I push it up as shown by the arrows? I have tried but it looks like it will break, any ideas?

I thought if I can get it off on the new one then I will know how to get the old one off but i am a bit stumped

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #17
daveleach
First Lieutenant
Rep

just changed my seals. this afternoon. bout hour and half.

you can see from the pics how the clip works. yes, just push the black plastic retainer up it will go. then just pry the clip with screwdriver.

its easier to remove the bottom clip first when removing the pipe, as you can then turn the pipe and access the retainer to remove it then turn it back to pry out the clip.

you can see the difference in the seals for the top in the picture.
when refitting fit top end first then you can turn pipe to locate in the bottom. plenty of vaseline on the seals to stop them catching on the way in.
Attached Images

Last edited by daveleach; 01-29-2012 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 03:05 AM   #18
COBRAEDWARDS
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

red boost pipe

use proper "o" ring grease on seals/joints fellas
fairy liquid is corrosive on metal parts
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 04:01 AM   #19
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

can you use copper grease?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #20
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Thanks Dave for the pics, does your pipe have the metal strip all the way around? cant seem to see it in the pics?

Is till cant seem to get the plastic clip off the neew pipe, was yours difficult to push up?

Last edited by mistryn; 01-28-2012 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #21
daveleach
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah it was tough to push up the first time I removed it. I think itll take some breaking though! Just had mine off again today, and lubed up the new seals with Vaseline just in case the fairy liquid don't dry off with the heat like I thought it would.
And no my red hose doesn't have the metal spiral the whole length, only the bottom 5inches or so.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #22
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah it was tough to push up the first time I removed it. I think itll take some breaking though! Just had mine off again today, and lubed up the new seals with Vaseline just in case the fairy liquid don't dry off with the heat like I thought it would.
And no my red hose doesn't have the metal spiral the whole length, only the bottom 5inches or so.
Thanks to your advice I managed to change mine today, wasnt to bad as I thought it be. I was more worried about breaking the clip but like you say the first time I took it off it was a (insert rude word)

Got the under tray off and it looked pretty bad with oil under neath the pipe which had dripped onto the under tray.

I took a couple of pics side by side, the upper seal on the turbo has definatly been amended as the old one is dark green in colour and the new seal is black. The bottom seal looks still the same. I used a couple of drops of fairt liquid on the seals to help them ease on, I dont think there will be too much of an issue of using fairy liquid

Now I need to replace the seals on the other boost pipe on the opppiste side of the intercooler as thats leaking slightly but I dont think it should be too much of an issue

As you can see from the first picture they have changed the pipe design, as my car is an 2008 (old pipe stamped made 2007) the metal rings dont go all the way around. The new pipe stamped made 2011 shows metal rings going all the way around. I would presume they have changed the diameter of the pipe perhaps by a few mm to overcome this issue

I didnt manage to take any measurements as I was working in 1 degree temp outside and wanted to crack on

Appreciate 0