E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Alarm Installation Question

01-14-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Alarm Installation Question

I just received the OEM alarm kit that I ordered from Circle BMW in NJ for my pre-wired 2008 335i E90 this afternoon and installed it this evening.

It was pretty easy. However, I had some difficulty properly lining up the siren holder with the mounting bracket in the rear driver's side wheel well and spent WAY too many minutes trying to "find" one of the mounting screws that kept falling into the nooks and crannies of the suspension. Good thing I had a telescoping magnetic pickup handy!

In any event, the only thing that happens when I lock the car now is that the red "clown nose" button under the mirror flashes rapidly for awhile and then slows and continues to blink until the car is unlocked. I assume this signals that the alarm is armed and ready BUT I do not get any "sound" from the siren or horn -- no beeps -- when I push the lock/unlock buttons and when I put my arm in the car through an open window and wave it around nothing happens either.

My question is: Is this what I should expect prior to programming the alarm for proper operation or does the lack of any sound at all indicate that I may have screwed up the installation in some way?

I'm going to call the shop I was planning to use to program the alarm in the morning and I can ask them the same question BUT if anyone has an answer now, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Many thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 09:28 PM   #2
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

The car doesn't know it has an alarm installed. Car has to be coded for the alarm to work properly. Yes some members have reported that after installation they had beeps, motion sensing and such but they still needed it be coded to get full functionality.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 11:02 PM   #3
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
The car doesn't know it has an alarm installed. Car has to be coded for the alarm to work properly. Yes some members have reported that after installation they had beeps, motion sensing and such but they still needed it be coded to get full functionality.
Yeah, saw varying responses from different people after installation and before programming. Assume I did the basic install "right", since the clown nose blinks. Will discuss this w/the shop further tomorrow when I schedule an appt to get it properly programmed.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 10:10 AM   #4
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingshiftworker
Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
Yeah, saw varying responses from different people after installation and before programming. Assume I did the basic install "right", since the clown nose blinks. Will discuss this w/the shop further tomorrow when I schedule an appt to get it properly programmed.
Yea since you had the blinks that gives some positive sign that you did the installation correctly.