E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Transmission problem (335i;"10;AT)

10-21-2016, 08:09 PM   #1
sp1tfire
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Transmission problem (335i;"10;AT)

Here we go
335i, 160k, AUTO transmission.
Everything seemed fine until couple day ago i got Service Engine light, after reading the error it appeared to be 4f53 (egs:fault in disengagement of converter lockup clutch. After restart and a drive it went away.
It came back and went away another time.

Yesterday started off fine, as soon as i got to first traffic light and stopped, in a second a felt a jerk like somebody lightly bumped me, as i started taking of - got TRANSMISSION MALFUNCTION, continue with moderate acc. And it seemed like the car didnt want to switch gear, jerked and then it felt like im continuously driving in 2nd(?) gear. As i restarted it went away and was fine for couple stops.
Then during a faster commute i got to a point where the rpms didnt match the speed, as though i was driving in lower gear and it was stuck. Every full stop the car gets jerked once harshly, unless i manage to make a slow rolling stop and it may be avoided. Upon take off (when in malfunction mode) it would act somewhere in between (i dont see/feel change of gear but somehow its ok from start to 60 miles maybe, obviously acceleration feels worse then normal, but i didnt fooor it). Couple of time when driving 40mph i got a jerk which lead to 5k rpm while cruising at that speed and i had to stop and restart).
Also few times after stop the next sec i press on gas pedal - i get same safe mode,but also i wont transfer power from engine to AT whether its drive or reverse, only restart helps.

.... something like that.
I was about to do pan/at oil change anyways, and some stories show it helped.
What else should i be looking ad
New codes that i got from today:

4f53 fail in disengagement of converter lockup clutch
4f84 ratio monitoring clutch D
4f85 ratio monitoring clutch E
4f8a ratio monitoring gearshift 4-5
4f89 same for gearshift 3-4
4f90 Same for gearshift 2-1

What can i try before going for new/rebuilt transmission to understand the problem?
Obviously will change filter and at oil, inspect for metal shavings. Seems that peoples problems with AT vary alot, so hard to find exact same case, but will be searching more.
Any help appreciated. Trying to figure out most cost/time efficient repair route. Preferebly will be doing it on my own, unless absolutely necessery otherwise.

Last edited by sp1tfire; 10-21-2016 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 07:56 AM   #2
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

Rather than going for a rebuild, you might be able to find a used transmission with 50-70K miles. Might be a cheaper option.
      10-25-2016, 08:18 AM   #3
hz_diesel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335ix

I have been wanting to do a 6mt swap. I'll sell you my tran if I pull it out lmao... at 38k miles
Appreciate 0