E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Possible valve cover gasket leak? DIY? Or stealership

11-08-2016, 03:57 PM   #1
BMWasian
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 PreLCI 328xi

Possible valve cover gasket leak? DIY? Or stealership

My 2007 328xi has been smelling like burning oil every time I run her, or turn the heater on. I've looked around and I've concluded that it's a valve cover gasket leak based on what I've heard on the forums, and the oil around my engine block. I'll be taking a look at it later today to be sure. If it is a VCG leak though, would I be able to replace this myself or would I have to take it to the stealership? Online, I can order a new one for less than 30 bucks. I'd rather do this if possible.
      11-08-2016, 05:21 PM   #2
patents
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

If you have the N51, you can have it done at the dealer for free.

Lots of people have DIY'd it. It just comes down to your skill level. There are guides here on the forum.

The dealer will be the most expensive option. If you don't want to do it yourself, find an indy that knows what they are doing with BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 07:17 AM   #3
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

You might want to get an evaluation and a quote from an indy. It would be better to get the indy / dealers input on the problem rather than just assume it is only the valve cover. The thing I hate the most, is assuming I know the problem, asking and paying someone to fix something very specific, only to find out that was not the source of the problem. Don't say 'fix the valve cover gasket', say 'I'm smelling burning oil'.

If they agree its only the valve cover and give you a price estimate, you can then decide whether to DIY or have someone else do it.

An indy would be more likely to give you an estimate for free, while the dealer will surely charge you a diagnostic fee. The indy might also charge a diagnostic fee. Either would rebate the cost for the diagnosis against the cost of the repair if you have them do the work.

My recommendation - get a diagnosis from an indy. Pay the diagnostic fee to get 2nd opinion about what is causing your problem.
      11-13-2016, 05:59 PM   #4
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by robthewrench View Post
You might want to get an evaluation and a quote from an indy. It would be better to get the indy / dealers input on the problem rather than just assume it is only the valve cover. The thing I hate the most, is assuming I know the problem, asking and paying someone to fix something very specific, only to find out that was not the source of the problem. Don't say 'fix the valve cover gasket', say 'I'm smelling burning oil'.

If they agree its only the valve cover and give you a price estimate, you can then decide whether to DIY or have someone else do it.

An indy would be more likely to give you an estimate for free, while the dealer will surely charge you a diagnostic fee. The indy might also charge a diagnostic fee. Either would rebate the cost for the diagnosis against the cost of the repair if you have them do the work.

My recommendation - get a diagnosis from an indy. Pay the diagnostic fee to get 2nd opinion about what is causing your problem.
Great advice, especially just asking what's causing the smell.
Could be OFH gasket leak

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0