E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > AT gearbox adaptation reset help?

11-25-2020, 11:33 PM   #1
Moshbmw
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90 318 2007 petrol

AT gearbox adaptation reset help?

Hello,

If I reset my auto gearbox adaptation values, do I have to do a relearn procedure?

If I do not do the relearn, what happens?

What is the benefit of resetting this adaptation?

Also, I read about a relearn where it says i have to drive at 80kph or something similar and use steptronic to out gearbox into 5th gear. Does that mean, I drive it in auto till it automatically gets to 4th gear then, i push gearstick to the left whilst its driving along in 4th and put it into 5th?

I have only ever used steptronic from stationary, how do I use it whilst already in motion?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 11:55 PM   #2
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Try this:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/attachmen...ns-pdf.839683/

I have the GM 6L45, and after the INPA reset I also need to do a throttle relearn (depress and release with key-on-engine-off).

I think the transmission relearns the apply pressure and timing for the clutches, and that should result in a smoother shifting transmission. I did that with our Audi 6HP19 (using Ross VCDS) when I changed various gaskets for the valve body and it seemed to have worked -- a little smoother than before the adapation drives.

I think Clutch E did not adapt for long while, perhaps I did not perform the driving pattern correctly, but it did later on as indicated by the adapt count in VCDS for Audi. The ZF transmission has always been smooth, unlike our 2007 GM junk. I use Febi ATF in our Audis 6HP and 8HP (the one equiv to green Lifeguard 8).
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 02:24 PM   #3
mousefarmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 2006 330i

We just did the adaption clearing and reset last night about 1AM out in one of the less traveled highways away from cities and towns with emergency lights on. I have 2006 330i ZF 6 speed transmission and replaced the shift solenoids and rubber sleeves.

The shifts are very smooth now as well as downshifts. I would say it is a two person job that is still quite dangerous because involves taking eyes off road to look at speeds, percentage throttle and gear indicators.

I was looking at the computer on INPA looking at the gear indicator and gas pedal % and telling my girlfriend what to do as well as trying to keep count at how many times left we had to go.

I went to the transmission section in INPA and switched between F6 and F7 to go between section showing the gear you are in to the accelerator position % section.

It took about 20miles (30KM) or so of road and a couple hours or so. We got done around 2:30AM. https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-rese...daptations-zf6
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 03:56 AM   #4
Moshbmw
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainbearing View Post
Try this:

I have the GM 6L45, and after the INPA reset I also need to do a throttle relearn (depress and release with key-on-engine-off).

I think the transmission relearns the apply pressure and timing for the clutches, and that should result in a smoother shifting transmission. I did that with our Audi 6HP19 (using Ross VCDS) when I changed various gaskets for the valve body and it seemed to have worked -- a little smoother than before the adapation drives.

I think Clutch E did not adapt for long while, perhaps I did not perform the driving pattern correctly, but it did later on as indicated by the adapt count in VCDS for Audi. The ZF transmission has always been smooth, unlike our 2007 GM junk. I use Febi ATF in our Audis 6HP and 8HP (the one equiv to green Lifeguard 8).
Nice one.

I have one question.

When driving along in auto, can I put it into steptronic whilst car is in motion to take it upto 5 th gear to do the relearn or have am I misunderstanding the relearn process
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 03:58 AM   #5
Moshbmw
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefarmer View Post
We just did the adaption clearing and reset last night about 1AM out in one of the less traveled highways away from cities and towns with emergency lights on. I have 2006 330i ZF 6 speed transmission and replaced the shift solenoids and rubber sleeves.

The shifts are very smooth now as well as downshifts. I would say it is a two person job that is still quite dangerous because involves taking eyes off road to look at speeds, percentage throttle and gear indicators.

I was looking at the computer on INPA looking at the gear indicator and gas pedal % and telling my girlfriend what to do as well as trying to keep count at how many times left we had to go.

I went to the transmission section in INPA and switched between F6 and F7 to go between section showing the gear you are in to the accelerator position % section.

It took about 20miles (30KM) or so of road and a couple hours or so. We got done around 2:30AM. https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-rese...daptations-zf6
Thats sounds rough. I might do some more research before I crack on.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 11:45 AM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainbearing View Post
Try this:

I note that the 4-page pdf you link is from Propulsive Dynamics, a Euro Corp, and is related to the ZF HP19/21 transmission. I have NOT found anything similar for GM6 Transmission "Adaptation Reset". I have TWICE drained & refilled by GM6 Sump, with Filter change. BOTH occasions were for PM reasons ONLY, @ 130,000+ miles, with NO performance/shift issues either Before or After the fluid change. BMW Dexron VI was used Both Times.

BEFORE doing the AT Fluid Drain/Refill, I looked for a "Re-Learn Procedure" applicable to the GM6, and found none. Since I also found NO reliable document suggesting that such a procedure be performed (on the GM6 -- I DID find the procedure you link for ZF Tranny), I performed NO Re-Learn Procedure.

The first time I did NO Adaptation Reset. The 2nd time I used INPA to clear Adaptations. NEITHER time did I do any "Re-Learn" procedure as described in your linked pdf. On NO occasion was there any "Hesitation" in shifting, or Rough Shifting, either in normal driving, up-shift or down-shift, or in WOT acceleration or kick-down.

AT rebuild is the ONE part of the car I have never tried to do myself due to specialized tools, clean-tanks, etc., so I don't pretend to be knowledgeable in that area. Hence the following questions:

1) Is it reasonable to expect that ANY "Re-Learn" procedure is needed when doing fluid change in GM6, GA6L45R, and what Facts suggest such need?

2) Is it reasonable to expect that the "Re-Learn Procedure" for the ZF tranny would be the same for the GM6, and what Facts support that view?

3) Do you have any Link or cite to any "Re-Learn Procedure" for the GM6 AT, or any document that suggests a need for performing such a procedure on the GM6, after doing Fluid Change?

OP: Do you KNOW what transmission your 318i has, or at least the Manufacturer?

Thanks,
George
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 07:17 AM   #7
jnagel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E87 130i

Hi Guys, just thought I'd make a post as I managed to locate the original TSB for the GM GA6L45R adaptation procedures.
Please see my post here for links/info
- https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...44&postcount=7
Appreciate 0