E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Kw V1/ lowering collar-endlink clearence issues

05-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
Drock28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 328XI coupe 6MT

Kw V1/ lowering collar-endlink clearence issues

hi,

decided to make a thread just on this.
during recent readings.. I discovered.. that a member cannot get the lowering collar on his V1 struts, past the endlink..?

ive attached two pics here from other threads showing exactly this.

as a result this leaves about 5 unusable threads..??

I have a set of V1 installed on my Xi.. im at a snug 1 finger gap.. which is about 7 threads left.

I did not have any knowledge of this issue nor did I encounter it yet.. cause I guess I didnt lower enough yet..

I am concerned cause I do plan to lower abit more.. so im wondering as i crank down the collar more, that I will indeed get stuck at the endlink.

this is extra bizarre.. because ive read a ton of people reporting that they have their V1 all the way to the bottom.. so how did they get there..without intereference with the endlink.

I pm'd one member, and he said he just kept cranking until he got to the bottom without any issues..

but looking at these pics how can that be phycially possible.. the collar is clearly obstructed by the endlink..??

so I dont understand this..?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #2
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

my endlink is no where near the collar and i just lowered my fronts yesterday. I went to 7 threads, too low for daily driving so raised to 11 threads. Much better than where I was at 18 threads.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 01:24 PM   #3
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Well first, there are limits in the KW documentation as to how low you can go. You may be passed that limit. Second, your endlink attachment tab doesn't look right. Mine was much more polished/shiny like the rest of the strut. It may have been replaced at some point and it isn't far enough out from the strut body.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 01:55 PM   #4
Drock28
Private First Class
Rep

hi thanks. these pics are not of my car.
I attached then from other threads here.

yes there is the max range recommended by kw
but that dies not mean the collar can't be crank lower
as many have done and cranked all the way to bottom.

the purpose if this thread is that I am perplexed about these pics and why the endlink is blocking the collar from going lower?
while others don't seem to have this problem at all?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 02:08 PM   #5
Drock28
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
my endlink is no where near the collar and i just lowered my fronts yesterday. I went to 7 threads, too low for daily driving so raised to 11 threads. Much better than where I was at 18 threads.
when you say the endlink is nowhere near the collar,
this would be because you didn't lower enough
or can you see the collar would have clearence to pass the endlink if you so happen cranked it all the way down.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #6
Drock28
Private First Class
Rep

can someone post of pic of their v1 showing the collar cranked all the way to the bottom.. I would like to see this, to compare with the pictures above.. that look like the collar cant get past the endlinks..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 05:38 AM   #7
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Those pics make no sense. I don't have kws but I imagine the collar connector is below the threads lol. Why does it look like the endljnk tab is around the threads. He has to Jack up the wheel with a bottle Jack remove ebdlink since it won't 've hitting the collar anymore. Lower the wheel and adjust height. Jack up wheel again and reinstall endlink. Since the wheel is hanging freely it appears the endlibk is binding when in reality it isn't
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #8
jessep19
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 330i sports+premium

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Those pics make no sense. I don't have kws but I imagine the collar connector is below the threads lol. Why does it look like the endljnk tab is around the threads. He has to Jack up the wheel with a bottle Jack remove ebdlink since it won't 've hitting the collar anymore. Lower the wheel and adjust height. Jack up wheel again and reinstall endlink. Since the wheel is hanging freely it appears the endlibk is binding when in reality it isn't
I had thought of that but as you can see in the 2nd picture the endlink will be rubbing on the spring of the coilover.

I was actually thinking of going direclty to KW for this issue since it seems that not many people have this problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 08:41 AM   #9
Drock28
Private First Class
Rep

ok, so I found pics with the collar all the way to bottom.. this is on a 335xi

its a different angle.. but the collar is clearly to the bottom.. and doest not seem to be touching the endlink..

so this continues to add to the mystery why some people can crank past the endlink withouth issue and others get stuck..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #10
Drock28
Private First Class
Rep

going to determine this once and for all..
heading to my buddys place to lift each corner of car, to make final adjustments and i'll see if theres a clearence issue with collar and endlink..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #11
ZhengHai
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Those springs look different from my springs..
      05-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #12
jessep19
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 330i sports+premium

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
very weird...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 04:53 PM   #13
Drock28
Private First Class
Rep

hi,

ok reporting back.. just got back from my buddies place..

i can report that I have no clearence issue with the collar and endlink.
below are pics.. although the passanger side seems a little closer then on driver side. its very close.. but can crank by it no problem.
I cranked my fronts to 3 threads left. previoulsy I was at 6 threads in front.
closed up the gap just right..

however two issues occured while working on it..

1. I cranked both fronts exactly to 3 threads left each. however when out of the car, I measured, and the passenger side is like 4mm higher then driver side. so I assume thats due to the regular weight of me. so I guess this would not be considered an issue.

2. when I finished with the fronts, i proceeded to the backs.. I have not attemped adjusting the rears yet. they were set as is during the install. the height is almost perfect, but i figured since I was there may as well lift and give the rears a couple of rotations to lower just a tad more.

lifted up the right rear, bolted off the tire.. all good so far..
grabbed the wrench thinking it would be a piece of cake like th fronts.
locked on ther wrench to the collar and started to crank. it cranked no problme.. but the black mount with threads on it, and the purple perch would turn together at the same time. I kept turning it a few times.. but stopped cause it wasnt cranking over the threads.. my buddy suggested to jack up the hub abit.. so we did.. but same thing, both pieces were turning in the same direction. so basically it did nothing. so left it as is.. and put tire back on. I thought the rears should be adjustable with the car lifted.. but doesnt seem to be the case.. unless issue with the install.

anyone have any feedback/inputs on this please..?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 03:02 AM   #14
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
Hey bro. On the rear perch spinning as one when trying to use the spanner.....I found a perfect solution.

I use a set of craftsmen oil filter channel lock plyers. You can get them on the base of the black piece snug up against the chassis and hold tight....then spray a little grease (I use white lithium WD40) on the threads and turn it with the spanner. Perfect. Works like a charm.

You can get the tool at sears or harbour freight (or likely any other auto store).

Definitely the easiest solution.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 08:14 AM   #15
Drock28
Private First Class
Rep

can you post up a pic of what the tool looks like..?
im glad to see its not necessarily an intall issue, if youve experience the same thing.
while others reported no problem adjusting rears..

I suspect debri was lodged inside the purple perch basically locking it in place and thus making the black mount move with it.
Appreciate 0